Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it time for divorce?
Heck yeah! 11 31.43%
Not clear cut, could go either way 5 14.29%
No way Jose! 19 54.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:24 PM

3 posts, read 12,752 times

Advertisements

I am standing on the cliff of my marriage and wondering...do I stay or do I go. There is no infidelity/abuse or anything like that, which is making this decision harder. We've been together 5 years, married 3. I feel we used to have a good amount of "opposite" qualities that balanced us out, but over the last 2 years we have become complete opposites. I have no energy left when it comes to him, and just feel like I don't know which way is up while wading through the daily drama that is our marriage. I just want it all to stop, to be able to come home from work and relax, to not have someone hanging around my neck every moment of every day. We have been in counseling for 6 months, and I don't see much difference, if any. Is there anyone out there who was in a similar marriage that did not have abuse etc? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 07:36 PM

5 posts, read 23,050 times
Hang in there It seems like you maybe the problem.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:37 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,741 times
I know it's hard to justify the "end" in your situation. However, you have given counseling a try. If you're not happy, one of you has to be the one to end it. People grow apart, it happens, especially if people marry young. It's very sad when a marriage ends, but you'll be doing a favor by allowing the both of you to find someone that you are compatable with. Someone that makes your heart jump intead of your head hurt.

If you truly feel in your heart that it's over and you've given your all to try and salvage it, the I say "be the brave one". Take some time to yourself to do some soul searching, and I think he will thank you later for having the strength to do it. If you leave it up to him, you could be waiting awhile.....

Good Luck.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:58 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
Sometimes people grow apart and if they realize what's happening, it may not be too late to fix it.
I'm not too sure about counselers. I'm one for fixing the problem myself.
You and your husband need to go somewhere secluded, (maybe at your house, the mountains, wherever) somewhere where there is no interruption for a few days. Have a long, long talk and see if he's willing to change some of the things you no longer like. Compromise is a better way to go. After all is said and done, you'll have your answer and you'll know you gave it your best shot. That's all you can do is give it your best. Try to find the things that made you fall in love. I know that's really hard but at least try.
Hope things work out for you. Keep us updated.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 12,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet4945 View Post
Hang in there It seems like you maybe the problem.
I have thought this same thing, but we have both identified that up to about 2 years ago we were similar in that we loved our time together, but also enjoyed having a little "alone" time for our hobbies. He has since changed and we are both suffering for it in our own way. I feel that this has become part of who he is (not a bad thing, we all do it) but he denies that and keeps promising that it is only a phase. It made sense 2 years ago when he went through some major life changes (career and family), but now I really worry that it isn't just a phase.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:27 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
How exactly has he changed? It's difficult to give a well-thought-out opinion with just a vague description.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:31 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
I'm voting for "No" because you have hesitation. If there is hesitation, there may be a relationship to salvage.

I don't think it's unusual to hit a rough patch in the early years of a marriage, and that rough patch may be long-lived (a year, maybe two....), but most couples will come out on the other side of it if they stick it out.

I agree with Songinthewind - try to get away together, relax, do something fun and then have a heart-to-heart talk and see where you're at.

Maybe you're just stressed, or bored, or a combination. Marriage can get boring at times.

Go easy on yourself and on him, work towards being happy with YOU and YOUR LIFE and maybe these things that once seemed important and worth ending a marriage for won't matter anymore .

Old 09-13-2007, 10:37 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
I don't know. I come at it from kind of an old-fashioned view, I guess. Hey, I'm old, don't hold it against me! I just think marriage is a life-long, till "death do us part" covenant. (Short of some extreme circumstances such as physical abuse, unrepentant adultery etc.)

You said you had been in counseling 6 months. I don't know if it would make any difference, but seriously, maybe you should try a different counselor. Sometimes you will find that one has a different perspective than another. A way of dealing with things which may be more simpatico with you and more insightful to what your marriage really needs. Just a thought...

Wish you both the best...

Old 09-14-2007, 12:11 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times
"Hanging around my neck" ... in an affectionate way, a nagging way, or dependent?

No offense, but (considering the context of that phrase), sounds like you're young; and the physical attraction/"honeymoon" infatuation wore off for you, but not him?
Care ends up trumping all those things, though. So think deeply ... how much do you really care about him? There shall be your answer, I hope :>)
Best wishes.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:16 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Ya know, my situation is different, emotional and verbal abuse...

We didn't really grow apart. I just had my eyes opened to the situation at hand, after so many years. 16
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships