Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have bad luck in relationships?
Yes 26 55.32%
No 21 44.68%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

u r not alone. getting a guy is easy. the skill part comes in keeping them but with divorce law being what it is women dont mind losing a husband. in fact life gets better not worse. our grandmothers had different priorities they wanted to keep him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by higome View Post
I'm seriously thinking about giving up.I should probably forget about having a relationship.
The longest I was able to keep a guy was 2 months...I spent a fortune on clothes and makeup, spend hours in front of the mirror every day, exercise regularly, I have a stable job, I love animals, so yeah maybe I'm not the most perfect or pretty girl around but I'm trying really really hard.And yet all I ever find are either jerks who only want me for one night (don't get me wrong I'm not a ****...) or I get picked up by guys who have "potential serial killer" written all over their faces...
And then I look around and I see sooo many people who are not doing a damn thing and they have the sweetest most loving boyfriends ever.
For example, the most "serious" relationship I've ever had was 2 months with a guy I met at a bar...the furthest I got was staying over at his place and eating with his family.He didn't even call me his "girlfriend" in public...I was always just "the girl he met".
Then take my roommate.She met her boyfriend 3 months ago.They went on vacations together, spent every possible moment with each other, and now (after only 3 months!!!) he's moving in with us...(well, with HER...but since we're sharing a place...)
I can't help but being jealous...she got an amazing guy doing practically NOTHING, and I'm trying sooooo hard and every guy I've ever had was a complete jerk...

Maybe I should just give up.
Anybody else had a similar experience?
All kidding aside you're not having good luck finding a decent guy 'cause you might be looking in the wrong places. One thing is sure you won't find decent folk hanging out in bars or the like.

Join a local church of your choice and get involved in church activities as one source of meeting decent folks which will network you to other sources of decent folk that may, in time,lead to the one right guy to share your life with.

If not a church there is other local volunteer groups that would welcome the extra hands where you can meet decent folk that may lead to a lifetime relationship.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:03 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,751,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
u r not alone. getting a guy is easy. the skill part comes in keeping them but with divorce law being what it is women dont mind losing a husband. in fact life gets better not worse. our grandmothers had different priorities they wanted to keep him.
My grandma picked a farmer in bibs at least 90% of the time. They were married for over 60 years.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:04 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
I'm seriously thinking about giving up.I should probably forget about having a relationship.
The longest I was able to keep a guy was 2 months...I spent a fortune on clothes and makeup, spend hours in front of the mirror every day, exercise regularly, I have a stable job, I love animals, so yeah maybe I'm not the most perfect or pretty girl around but I'm trying really really hard.And yet all I ever find are either jerks who only want me for one night (don't get me wrong I'm not a ****...) or I get picked up by guys who have "potential serial killer" written all over their faces...
And then I look around and I see sooo many people who are not doing a damn thing and they have the sweetest most loving boyfriends ever.
For example, the most "serious" relationship I've ever had was 2 months with a guy I met at a bar...the furthest I got was staying over at his place and eating with his family.He didn't even call me his "girlfriend" in public...I was always just "the girl he met".
Then take my roommate.She met her boyfriend 3 months ago.They went on vacations together, spent every possible moment with each other, and now (after only 3 months!!!) he's moving in with us...(well, with HER...but since we're sharing a place...)
I can't help but being jealous...she got an amazing guy doing practically NOTHING, and I'm trying sooooo hard and every guy I've ever had was a complete jerk...

"I spent a fortune on clothes and makeup"
At least you are giving it an effort. I know a lot of men and women who do nothing but complain and don't even try to make theirselves look presentable. I have no sympathy for them at all!
One thing I do know is persistance usually pays off in almost every arena. Like they say "You may have to kiss a lot of frogs to get your Prince (or Prnicess).

Old 04-04-2012, 02:05 PM

639 posts, read 828,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
dude, not every thread is about divorce lol

Old 04-04-2012, 02:05 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
All kidding aside you're not having good luck finding a decent guy 'cause you might be looking in the wrong places. One thing is sure you won't find decent folk hanging out in bars or the like.

Join a local church of your choice and get involved in church activities as one source of meeting decent folks which will network you to other sources of decent folk that may, in time,lead to the one right guy to share your life with.

If not a church there is other local volunteer groups that would welcome the extra hands where you can meet decent folk that may lead to a lifetime relationship.
That's where I finally met mine after many years of trying to find a marriage-minded man. It IS true!

Old 04-04-2012, 02:08 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
Quote:

very similar situation. did the same things you did. had friends did very little to nothing to get men one after the other. when you do all that (play their little hair and make up, dressing up, losing weight game). you fix one thing then they say it's something, you work on that, and it's something else. it still doesn't work bottom line is -- you're probably generally unattractive to the men. Not trying to be rude at all. Also, not going to tell you to 'give up' but that's what I did, got tired of trying to play their guessing games. First thing's first, if you're a woman you better be in the attractive column or else they won't bother to even look at you no matter how nicely dressed you are or how friendly you try to come off as. This was made blatantly apparent to me on numerous occasions.

edit: and all the people saying just go on about life and you'll find one, is B.S. too -- keep doing that and watch how quickly nothing continues to happen.

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 04-04-2012 at 02:22 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 02:09 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
You'll meet a guy when you're not actively looking for one.

Don't deliberately put yourself out there to "find" a guy.

Just live your life, do what you enjoy and the right guy will come along.

Don't be a hermit, but don't make yourself too available.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:11 PM

8 posts, read 15,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I agree with this. Too high-maintenance. Men are not all that concerned.
Then how do you explain that men are all attracted to models?
It was driving me crazy that the only guy I've ever really loved (the one I dated for 2 months) would constantly look at models on TV...
I looked at them and I thought "that's the kind of girl that ANY guy would want"...there's no way any man would ever say no to one of the models on TV...That was right about the time when I started obsessing over my looks.(yeah I admit it)

Old 04-04-2012, 02:14 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,232 times
Quote:
Then how do you explain that men are all attracted to models?
It was driving me crazy that the only guy I've ever really loved (the one I dated for 2 months) would constantly look at models on TV...
I looked at them and I thought "that's the kind of girl that ANY guy would want"...there's no way any man would ever say no to one of the models on TV...That was right about the time when I started obsessing over my looks.(yeah I admit it)
All men?? I have never had that experience...sure, they look at them dating one is another story.

Hon, you are really needing to focus on anything else. GOOD men, the ones you are going to want, are really not going to place outer appearances more important than who you are as a person.

So the question is-what kind of guy are you looking to attract? Just one who makes the shell more important than the contents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships