U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-05-2012, 03:43 PM

3,704 posts, read 4,036,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Absolutely. You bought it without his help. It's your asset to sell.
Repairs are definitely part of the expenses you should split.

I disagree. I wouldn't pay to maintain a car I didn't own. If the asset is one persons to sell it is that persons to maintain too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 03:46 PM

3,704 posts, read 4,036,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
My boyfriend and I are planning to move out together to Los Angeles at the end of the summer/early fall. We've been together for over 6 years so it's serious. We are best friends and do have plans to get married, but we don't see the rush in it.

We are planning on taking one car between the two of us out there, and I have the best vehicle of the two of ours. Mine is a 2003 Mini Cooper in great shape. His is a large van made in the 1970's - it's cool but not practical! I think the Mini would be a good vehicle out there because the gas mileage is good, it's small and therefore easier to park, and it's professional yet fun.

Since we're going to be sharing it, who pays? The big thing that worries me is the car is almost 10 years old and has over 80,000 miles on it. If it breaks down or needs repairs, who should pay for it? Do we split costs down the middle? Is it a better idea to trade my car in and buy a new car between the two of us, sharing all costs associated with the new car? Or is this too big of a mess and my boyfriend should just get himself a new car and we'll take two out there with us?
I think he should contribute some amount to the maintenance, but 50%/50% is not fair. Maybe 75/25 or you can find some fair way of calculating it.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:01 PM

3,116 posts, read 3,586,454 times
I would sell his car now, and then when you get out here, see if you really can make it on just one car. If one of you gets your dream job and needs to commute farther than just a few miles, you'll need two cars.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:09 PM

2,117 posts, read 2,119,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I disagree. I wouldn't pay to maintain a car I didn't own. If the asset is one persons to sell it is that persons to maintain too.
People and businesses do it all the time when they lease vehicles.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:02 AM

2,006 posts, read 2,168,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I think he should contribute some amount to the maintenance, but 50%/50% is not fair. Maybe 75/25 or you can find some fair way of calculating it.
I'm with jdm148937143015015459046542785 for the most part. He should definitely have to chip in, but a full on 50/50 split isn't exactly fair UNLESS he's going to be using much more than you.

You still making car payments or is it paid for? He could chip in on that too, but 50/50 wouldn't be fair. I think the best thing to do is once you guys get established in LA, get a 2nd vehicle. LA is urban sprawl to the max. I think trying to split a vehicle in that city is going to get old really quick. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:51 AM

3,172 posts, read 3,361,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Probably best to take one, split all the expenses, then buy another car out there.

Either that or just keep the Mini, and split the car expenses getting out there, and all the expenses when there, if you don't need two.
If you do decide you need two cars, definitely wait until after the move to get the second.

Unless the two of you have drastically different spending habits and savings expectations, it shouldn't matter so much who pays. If you're together, you're together.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:06 AM

18,870 posts, read 13,488,400 times
Moving this to "relationships" for more input. I think you split expenses, but it is your car...I don't know, it is complicated. There is car insurance, registration, tires...

Old 04-07-2012, 08:17 AM

6,908 posts, read 15,425,406 times
Let me see if I have the picture right....

You have been with this guy for 6 years and thinking of marriage and you come HERE to see what we think.

??????????

Old 04-07-2012, 08:23 AM

658 posts, read 570,709 times
Any type of sharing plan would do, with the understanding that you are both responsible for this car and that you are trying to be fair (no need to enforce strict 50/50 to the dollar rule as it would the romance). Maybe he pays for one repair and you pay for the next. Maybe he pays for gas this week and you next week. As long as the contribution is roughly equal, you are fine.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:25 AM

4,383 posts, read 3,387,728 times
OP, if you share the car, you need to share ALL the operating expenses: gas, maintenance, insurance, etc. Costs should be shared equally unless one of you uses it significantly more than the other, or travels greater distances. However, you have already paid for the car, so when you do trade it in or sell it, the proceeds should be solely yours.

It may be easier for him to buy his own car out there, if splitting expenses on one is a problem. If you really are serious about each other, this shouldn't be a difficult negotiation, but as you aren't married, there are separate legal and financial issues you must consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships