Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:50 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Keyes View Post
OP, whining and bitching about how "society" forces you to do things is frankly beta male-esque.
It can be distilled to ONE thing: it has hit men in THE WALLET. It's not hatred. It's practicality. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 12:51 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
If the non-celebrity equivalent of her were walking around the neighborhood or school or workplace, that is correct. I wouldn't think she was that great. She is, by no means, a standard of beauty.

She can't hold a candle, looks wise, to this:
http://www.etoday.ru/uploads/2008/02/13/melina_kanakaredes.jpghttp:// (broken link)
And, no, I don't feel entitled, as per item #5.
LOL!!! Keep 'em coming! I'm sure Julia is going to be devastated that you aren't attracted to her! And I didn't know that you were the standard of beauty expert! How exciting!!! I'd show you my pic but I would just be heartbroken if you thought I was on par with Julia!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
It can be distilled to ONE thing: it has hit men in THE WALLET. It's not hatred. It's practicality. End of story.
So let me get this straight... You're not married so you've never been divorced... But you hate women because some women that you don't know have taken some men that aren't you to the cleaners... Therefore - all women are troublemakers and gold diggers? Is this about right?

Old 04-07-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So let me get this straight... You're not married so you've never been divorced... But you hate women because some women that you don't know have taken some men that aren't you to the cleaners... Therefore - all women are troublemakers and gold diggers? Is this about right?
It's not about hatred at all. It's about risk tolerance. Couple that with the available supply of decent women. And it doesn't look very promising. A lot of decent people, men and women, have REALLY slowed down their efforts to date.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
LOL!!! Keep 'em coming! I'm sure Julia is going to be devastated that you aren't attracted to her! And I didn't know that you were the standard of beauty expert! How exciting!!! I'd show you my pic but I would just be heartbroken if you thought I was on par with Julia!
You and Djuna were the ones who acted SURPRISED, per earlier threads. She looks cheap to me. Did you see "Erin Brockovich?" I saw it in America and then saw it at an outdoor free dubbed screening in Europe. There was a scene where Julia Roberts takes her kids to daycare at this dingy, fat lady's apartment. I told them "ok, now look, this lady you are about to see is real white trash." My cousin, a woman, turns me and says "well isn't Julia Roberts white trash?" I said, "Yeah, I guess she is."

Money does not equate class. Look at a lot of celebrities...on the screen, on the airwaves, and in the playing fields. They've been spruced up some by "charm school" training but, absent that and the money, they can be pretty tacky.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
It's not about hatred at all. It's about risk tolerance. Couple that with the available supply of decent women. And it doesn't look very promising. A lot of decent people, men and women, have REALLY slowed down their efforts to date.
Not to beat a dead horse - but many of your posts kind of sound a little bit like maybe there is a tad bit of something kind of akin to a sort of... hatred toward women... Just saying... That doesn't seem like risk tolerance but just intolerance.

People that don't ever want to get married because they are so afraid of divorce could be missing something that could make their entire lives worth living. Just my point of view.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Not to beat a dead horse - but many of your posts kind of sound a little bit like maybe there is a tad bit of something kind of akin to a sort of... hatred toward women... Just saying... That doesn't seem like risk tolerance but just intolerance.

People that don't ever want to get married because they are so afraid of divorce could be missing something that could make their entire lives worth living. Just my point of view.
You're entitled to your point of view...three time zones away.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:10 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,262,835 times
Quote:
You and Djuna were the ones who acted SURPRISED, per earlier threads. She looks cheap to me. Did you see "Erin Brockovich?" I saw it in America and then saw it at an outdoor free dubbed screening in Europe. There was a scene where Julia Roberts takes her kids to daycare at this dingy, fat lady's apartment. I told them "ok, now look, this lady you are about to see is real white trash." My cousin, a woman, turns me and says "well isn't Julia Roberts white trash?" I said, "Yeah, I guess she is."

Money does not equate class. Look at a lot of celebrities...on the screen, on the airwaves, and in the playing fields. They've been spruced up some by "charm school" training but, absent that and the money, they can be pretty tacky.

The point of the movie is that Erin Brockovich, who is a real person, WAS kind of trashy looking, especially for an attorney. She dressed unprofessionally and looked like she came out of a trailer park. That doesn't mean an actress who portrays her dresses that way. Good grief, it's acting!

Old 04-07-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
The point of the movie is that Erin Brockovich, who is a real person, WAS kind of trashy looking, especially for an attorney.
She WASN'T an attorney. She's still alive, and is NOT an attorney. She worked in a law office. Julia Roberts looked cheap in "Mystic Pizza," too. That's the first movie I ever saw her in (on an airplane). She does NOT have universal appeal. Why is this even being debated here? It belongs on Celebrities. This derailment occurred because someone brought up "Officer and a Gentleman," and then added "Pretty Woman," and "Maid in Manhattan." Let's get off the movie stars and stick to the OP.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:29 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:

Well I think your point of view is full of it. Just my point of view.

Marriage is definitely not going to make my life worth living only I can do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships