Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 02:12 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
This is another online dating rant. Everytime I go on POF, I get angry. I don't know if it's just my city (I'm on the East Coast), but there seems to be a very large number of undesirable,
Well, what do you want then?

Being on the guy end of having worthless women click that awful "Meet Me" button and me wondering how they'd figure I'd want to meet them, well...I decided to find better hobbies--such as sorting the sock drawer--to pass time on my time off right now.

Really, a high school diploma'd 20-year old with two kids living at home who hopes to further her education one day and spits tabaccky wasn't my idea of Miss Right (Now)...who knew?

Milk yours for a free dinner and never see them again? At least you get that bennie of the trade, right? Hell, the women I mention want to be swept off their feet the instant I'm supposed to want to meet them. I'm thinking..."No. I put myself in a good enough spot over the last several years by not being a barfly to be as picky as I wish! I will window shop!"

I feel ya. Maybe that was covered in the responses I ain't feeling like reading through, maybe not. Good luck, anyway.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:44 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times
The answer is simple.

Hide your profile and initiate contact with men who meet your criteria.

Use the "advanced search" feature on the website and do a search for men who have a degree, no children and live within an acceptable radius.

You have a degree and can't figure this out?

Old 04-09-2012, 04:10 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlilac View Post
I am shocked. I don't know any guys who CHOOSE to have kids in their 20s out of wedlock.
Really? I know several. Just a few examples from my personal life:

-I have a relative in her early twenties who started dating a guy in his late 20s who already had two young children from prior relationships and she ended up getting pregnant by this guy. They got married within a year after their child was born, but they had broken up a few times before then and I am skeptical about the future of their relationship although she seems happy at the moment. Neither of them have degrees.

-I have a relative in her mid 30s with two children from a prior marriage. She starts dating a guy with three children by multiple women and she ends up getting pregnant by him. They break up shortly before the child is born. Neither of them have degrees, but she has a good job and was doing much better financially before she decided to get involved with him. He is pretty much a bum.

-I have a relative who had a child out of wedlock in his late teens/early 20s. Ten years later, he ended up meeting a woman who also has a child from a former relationship and they fell in love, got married, and had a beautiful wedding. Neither of them have degrees. I'm happy for them and think they are great for each other.

Anyway, I know that sometimes people make mistakes or just have bad luck in their lives and I'm not trying to pass judgment on all of those people, but my post was about men who I feel very strongly ended up in these situations because they were careless and irresponsible. Exactly how many times can a condom break?? (Besides, there are options to prevent pregnancy when that happens). I'm just very adamant about not accepting certain things in my life even if that means that I will be single forever. The additional headaches that come along with dealing with these type of men just isn't worth it to me.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:11 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
I only get messages from:

a) obese women
b) Moms

So I understand.

Still, this thread is kind of pathetic.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:16 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
A few things you need to realize:

1) Men are going to contact you if they like your photos. Although some read profiles and pay attention to the criteria women lay out, you WILL get a certain amount of responses from those who don't meet your specificatons.

2) You need only to ignore them or send them a "no thanks" if there is such an option.

3) Spazzing out and ranting the way you have usually indicates that it's time for an online dater to take a break from it.

4) Just based on what you said here, you sound entirely too snotty and full of yourself to bring anything to the table, yourself, other than attitude, so not going out with these men is doing them a favor. People are not "bottom of the barrel" because they have kids or didn't go to college. You're no better or above them because you went to college and don't have kids. Indeed, start spewing that attitude on a date with someone who does fit your criteria, and unless he's also petulant, you may very well turn him off. If he's a good, kind man, he definitely won't find it attractive, that's for sure. You also run the risk of putting your highly educated foot in your not-so-people-smart mouth because you never know whose brothers, sisters, or parents didn't go to college.

And here I was thinking you were going to talk about something superficial, like long rap sheets and multiple addictions.
X2 great post......

Old 04-09-2012, 06:23 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
When I was online dating I was only on POF for about a week. I found the caliber of men much lower level then sites like Match and I think its because its a free site. You'll get any kind of ghetto trash on free sites like that.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:27 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Quote:
Anyway, I know that sometimes people make mistakes or just have bad luck in their lives and I'm not trying to pass judgment on all of those people, but my post was about men who I feel very strongly ended up in these situations because they were careless and irresponsible. Exactly how many times can a condom break?? (Besides, there are options to prevent pregnancy when that happens). I'm just very adamant about not accepting certain things in my life even if that means that I will be single forever. The additional headaches that come along with dealing with these type of men just isn't worth it to me.
Let's be realistic here...if you are an intelligent women you understand the risk of having sex and like it or not 99.9% of the responsibility falls on a women to take the necessary precautions NOT to get pregnant. NO WOMEN should rely on a man when it comes to her own body. There are very effective forms of birth control out there (condoms is not one of them-neither is the pill).

If a women does not take the necessary precautions and does not believe in terminating an unwanted pregnancy, really it's no ones fault but her own. Especially when the options are open to prevent it.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:36 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
We all have standards when it comes to choosing partners and friends, but those who feel the need to broadcast their standards to others often just come across as obnoxious, snobbish or bratty (or all three). Why do some people feel the need to broadcast their standards anyway? Nothing positive comes from it, unless they do it to boost their low self-esteem by putting down those they see as inferior by broadcasting it.

If I'm buying a car for example, I'm not going to sit here and complain about the cars I don't like; I'll just buy the one I like, rather than sit here saying "Fords suck, I'm so sick of them".

This thread is just negative tripe. I see no need for broadcasting your own personal dating standards on an online forum.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:32 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
When I was online dating I was only on POF for about a week. I found the caliber of men much lower level then sites like Match and I think its because its a free site. You'll get any kind of ghetto trash on free sites like that.
I agree. However, I think there are some desirable men out there who are more likely to give a site like POF a shot because they don't think they're "desperate" enough to actually pay for an online dating site. I actually saw a few great profiles on POF this morning while I was browsing, so I know these guys are there. I tend to find more men who meet my standards on OKC, but that site just doesn't seem to have as many members as POF, so I stay at POF for the numbers. I use Match too, but I find that I mostly get messages from men out of my preferred age range on that site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
If a women does not take the necessary precautions and does not believe in terminating an unwanted pregnancy, really it's no ones fault but her own. Especially when the options are open to prevent it.
Very true. I'm just saying that if I'm going to risk getting pregnant, I definitely don't want to take that risk with a man whose resources are already going to other children and then he may not have access to better jobs due to his lack of education.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:46 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
This is another online dating rant. Everytime I go on POF, I get angry. I don't know if it's just my city (I'm on the East Coast), but there seems to be a very large number of undesirable, bottom of the barrel type men on that site, and they keep sending me messages! The main things I notice on dating profiles are:

1. Photos
2. Age
3. Education
4. Does he have kids?

All four of these things have to be acceptable otherwise I am not interested. I'm routinely contacted by men who didn't go to college AND they have kids. Either of those things alone wouldn't be ideal, but put them together and it's much worse. I just don't understand why these guys think I'd even be interested in them considering that I'm a college educated professional woman with no children. I'm attractive and in shape and definitely not desperate enough to date them. They have absolutely nothing to offer me and I really wish they would stop wasting my time with their stupid, grammatically incorrect messages! Seriously, I just can't deal with it. I know that POF is the most popular free site and occasionally, I'll be contacted by a decent guy which is why I'm reluctant to leave the site altogether, but the majority of these men truly make me sick. I understand that not everyone is intelligent/fortunate/responsible enough to get a college degree or to not have kids out of wedlock, but they need to just focus on women on their own level and leave me alone. It's really ticking me off that I have to immediately block like 98% of the men who contact me on that site. I'd write this up in my profile, but I know I would just sound bitter and end up turning off the men who I do want, and these idiots who I don't want would still keep contacting me anyway.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but I'm fed up and this is how I feel. Has anyone else experienced this issue with POF? I know the site automatically allows you to block messages from certain users based on age, distance, etc., but I would really love it if they added filters for education level and parental status as well.
Um, excuse me but what is it exactly that you bring to the table? For a college educated woman, you sound like a whiner. Go cheap, get cheap. You know exactly the type of person would post on POF, I can fathom why you would be questioning the interest you are getting, it's what you want isn't it? - to be pursued, approached by men.

My suggestion is to upscale your advertisement - get off of POF and get on a site that caters to the type of "target" you really want. Obviously, they aren't going to flock to you if they aren't aware that you exist. You're looking for the proverbial long shot by staying on POF, sometimes you have to deal with a ton of undesirable debris to find that gem. How much time have you got?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships