U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-09-2012, 02:26 PM

5,273 posts, read 3,410,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I go out for happy hour or restaurants or to shows with my girlfriends. Sometimes I will meet an interesting man, but it isn't so easy to just pick someone up while out and about.
That sucks. I always think that if I got out more I'd have a better chance of meeting someone but apparently that's not always the case.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:34 PM

1,853 posts, read 748,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Some people have referred to my sister as pretty or cute and sometimes even really pretty. But she's not a knockout. She's dated men since high school and has never had to resort to online dating because she has a solid social network.

My guess is this ... doctors have a really ambitious type A personality. It's almost a controlling, take charge type of thing. She definitely has that going on. It's amazing I'm her brother, I'm so laid back.

And men are either put off or really intimidated by that.

Of course, in a male doctor, those same traits are a turn of for women.
I think you're looking too deep into it, women are attracted to men who have money or potential to make money. Doctors or any guy who has his head on good at a young age is usually taken and not available. These women who get with them usually forgive them when they mess up and give them a longer rope than she'd give a guy who doesn't have as much.

Doctors are off the market usually before they become licensed. Medical School or sometimes even in college, good work habits is essential and women seeking that in men at a early age.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:39 PM

12,299 posts, read 7,010,794 times
Would you date a man with a degree who was divorced and had kids?

I didn't catch what city you live in?

Old 04-09-2012, 02:44 PM

4,499 posts, read 3,949,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
I think you're looking too deep into it, women are attracted to men who have money or potential to make money. Doctors or any guy who has his head on good at a young age is usually taken and not available. These women who get with them usually forgive them when they mess up and give them a longer rope than she'd give a guy who doesn't have as much.

Doctors are off the market usually before they become licensed. Medical School or sometimes even in college, good work habits is essential and women seeking that in men at a early age.
It's somewhat true. I knew a few male doctors who struggled to find dates because they were socially awkward.

In retrospect, if I wanted the 'best wife possible', I should have gone the MD path myself. But that's not what I want...

Old 04-09-2012, 02:50 PM

977 posts, read 734,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
That sucks. I always think that if I got out more I'd have a better chance of meeting someone but apparently that's not always the case.
Well, you can't just go to bars and restaurants with your friends and expect a date. I mean, I'm not going to go up to some girl talking amongst her friends when I'm out at a restaurant with my friends. Try to join social groups like a running group, co-ed sports, volunteering where there are a lot of guys and it's a more casual atmosphere where guys will get to know you organically and won't feel as intimidated to eventually ask you out.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:53 PM

902 posts, read 803,871 times
I was and actually may still be on POF but I had no luck at all with that site for whatever reason. My requirements were pretty minimal: must love animals, no druggies and no drunks. I guess it was too much to ask for. Oh well.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:01 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,401,575 times
When did women become so entitled? its crazy how bad its gotten..

Not because of "standards" youre allowed those everyone has them but to get angry that some person would even have the nerve to ask you out and that they should know their place is so snobby and off putting..

Youre decent looking and have a degree congrats so do tons of other people..why are you so special?

A little humility goes along way..Maybe women find arrogance and cockiness attractive in the opposite sex but most men dont..

Old 04-09-2012, 03:07 PM

9,359 posts, read 4,836,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
So go alone. I go out alone all the time.
I bring that up to women I know all the time and usually they say "Thats not me". I'm like "Go out and enjoy, it's not like you have to go home with anybody".

From my side of the coin I love talking to women and even men who are solo at the bar. I would get bored to death if I didn't talk to people. I occsionally get the "Why is this man talking to me look", but usually I get the "Thank god someone is talking to me, cause I'm bored as hell" response. Of course it's a little easier for a man, but it doesn't have to be.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:08 PM

1,218 posts, read 700,460 times
Any man is educated who knows how to get knowledge when he needs it, and how to organize that knowledge into definite plans of action. Thomas Edison, for example, had only three months of "schooling" during his entire life. He didn't lack education, neither did he die poor. Henry Ford had less than a sixth grade "schooling" but he managed to do pretty well by himself, financially. As knowledge is acquired it must be organized and put into use, for a definite purpose. Knowledge has no value except that which can be gained from it's application toward some worthy end. This is one reason why college degrees are not valued more highly. They represent nothing more than miscellanious knowledge. Character, intelligence and personality is far more important than education.

Last edited by Just1Fan; 04-09-2012 at 03:17 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 03:09 PM

12,299 posts, read 7,010,794 times
I love talking to strangers when I'm out and about. They're often more interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.