Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 08:00 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,399,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjockey View Post
i joined pof earlier today after reading this thread, i just wanted to see what it was really like. I put in my real stats, uploaded a real recent picture and didn't fib at all.

I received at least 10 messages in the first hour i signed up. All but one asked for my breast size or asked if i was open to 'hooking up' and these are three messages i actually received:

How u doon grl, wnna play?

So why is beautiful single i am charles

ur pretty sexy adn girls wanna get wit me so you in?

So yeah, we'll see how it plays out but i'm not super confident :d
lolololol!!

see..I get guys like that while I'm out..oddly, not online and I dress and behave the same way..well online post pics of what I wear in my day to day life.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:00 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,569,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I received at least 10 messages in the first hour I signed up. All but one asked for my breast size or asked if I was open to 'hooking up' and these are three messages I actually received:

how u doon grl, wnna play?

so why is beautiful single i am charles

LOL...my point exactly! Most of the messages I get on there are just like that.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:04 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,973,653 times
Quote:
I joined POF earlier today after reading this thread, I just wanted to see what it was really like. I put in my real stats, uploaded a real recent picture and didn't fib at all.

I received at least 10 messages in the first hour I signed up. All but one asked for my breast size or asked if I was open to 'hooking up' and these are three messages I actually received:

So yeah, we'll see how it plays out but I'm not super confident
I might sign up just for the entertainment. Lol

Old 04-09-2012, 08:07 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,964,469 times
Hell I might sign up with a picture of a female to see how retarded these comments are.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:08 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,814,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Not everyone is a great speller but I do require someone who knows how to at least spell their own profession.

Yes, it takes courage and determination to overcome an addiction but there's also something to be said for people who never go down that route in the first place. I've never been drunk in my life or taken any kind of drug so I choose not to get involved with former addicts. If that bothers you, too bad.
All of which is fine. Again, IMHO, standards aren't anyone else's business but their own.

I will say, though: I don't have a degree, and I left the field "blank" in my profile. Graduated high school early, attended Harvard for awhile, then attended a couple art schools, one in Boston and one in LA. I've taken classes at UCLA extension and SMC a few times, just to gain a skill. My dad went to Yale and Harvard and I grew up in an academic family. Despite not having a degree, I'm extremely well educated, I'm tactful and clever in business and life outside it. I'm successful, my zip code is the most well-known zip/postal code in the world, I drive a slick convertible and just picked up a vintage Mini, am fit and active, an excellent chef, have a high income, a growing social circle... I do standup and improv, write, draw, paint, sell all of the above for a pleasant little side income... I've mentored kids, been a life coach, and helped out many of my friends and acquaintances. By most measures, I'm a successful fellow for my 28 years.

However, I don't have a degree.

I actually have been passed up by women based on my "lack of education," only to have them later realize that I'm better educated, more stable, more successful, and less of a d-bag than most of the guys they lunged at. Oh well! Live and learn

Old 04-09-2012, 08:08 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,582,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
It's pretty entertaining so far... I'm up to 23 messages in the past 4 hours, and 3 seem like they're from decent guys. Unfortunately, of those 3 only one is looking for any type of commitment. The other two are quite adamant about not wanting anything more than a hookup.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,555,454 times
One guy, I met at Earthfare (a safe public place). He thought a 10.00 sandwich was a radical concept.
people could write satire on this stuff. pathetic but funny.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,814,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I've heard that POF is sort of a meatmarket.

One of my friends said that, when she was out of medication and kind of losing it again, she would get loaded and then go active on POF to get laid

Old 04-09-2012, 08:11 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,047,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Mistake for? I am 34 and if it says maximum age is 33 then I won't message her.
That's just plain stupid! Do you really think a few months matter so somebody?! It's just an arbitrary statement... IMO, anybody up to about 5 years older can safely reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
IMO alot of fiction goes on, POF has many profiles where a guy says he owns a house, and it turns out to be a trailer.
I exchanged a few messages once with somebody who made the same claim. I knew his last name, though, so Sierra goes to the assessor's site and then to google and/or zillow. The "house" was in some trashy trailer park I wouldn't even drive around, never mind visit or spend time in... The guy wasn't an idiot or anything and I understand that might've been all he could do after his divorce, but it's just not for me. I'd rather be with somebody who rents a decent place. He also had young chidren, so that wasn't the only problem, but it is a problem to me regardless of the kids. I haven't wasted all these years in a foreign country in order to become a trailer trash!

Also, I'd never meet anybody unless I know his last name. My county has excellent and free public records. Granted, that approach doesn't work on people who've recently moved here, but it's better than nothing.

Quote:
I joined POF earlier today after reading this thread, I just wanted to see what it was really like. I put in my real stats, uploaded a real recent picture and didn't fib at all.

So yeah, we'll see how it plays out but I'm not super confident
You know, even though I generally don't believe in chasing men per se, I do believe in contacting them myself first in the online world. We've had discussions here about CL being the bottom of the barrel, a scum pond, and what not. While it generally definitely is, there are 2 to 5% maybe normal people on it - some of them successful, as a matter of fact. Every once in a while I may contact somebody and while I've never met anybody, my exchanges have been light years better than that.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:11 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,973,653 times
Quote:
It's pretty entertaining so far... I'm up to 23 messages in the past 4 hours, and 3 seem like they're from decent guys. Unfortunately, of those 3 only one is looking for any type of commitment. The other two are quite adamant about not wanting anything more than a hookup.
I've never done online match sites for fear of being matched with someone I know. Hmmm. Could be interesting, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.