Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:34 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,599,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Unless I missed something, and someone died and named you sheriff, or you are my late parents in disguise, guess what---you don't get to tell me what to do, or when to do it...not now, not tomorrow, not ever...
I would suggest you learn how to communicate with others without coming across like a snotty, condescending adolescent...

Do you not remember that little gem you typed a few posts back? Either someone died and named YOU sheriff or you're just a hypocrite. Which one is it?

Quote:
but I AM a grown man, and as such, you have no authority over me or anything I say or do here, or in the real world as well...
Likewise you have no authority over me or anything I say or do here or anywhere else.

Quote:
I speak my mind and say EXACTLY what I think, out loud, in a clear tone, so there can be no mistaking my intent, whether people agree with me or not
Same here!

Quote:
So I will depart this thread now, leaving it to the folks who want to carry on the discussion, be they for you or against you...
Ok, bye! I thought you were leaving the last time when you said my post would "fall on deaf ears." Yet you showed up again to give more "mouthiness" and "attitude." Oh, but I forgot...it's totally ok when you do it, right?

Old 04-12-2012, 03:50 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,676 times
this sums up this thread :

Cat Turns Off The Lights - 7 foot jum - YouTube

Old 04-12-2012, 03:58 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
You know, I don't really think I have any more of an attitude than you or some of the other posters here.

1. I understand that some people were offended by my original post, but I was venting, those were my feelings at the time, and I can't go back and rewrite it to make it less rude, so what's done is done.

2. I've stated several times that I was referring only to the type of men who send me messages on POF- not every guy who has kids and didn't go to college.

3. You mentioned that I don't have the right to "judge" people, but I do have EVERY right to decide what kind of man I'm willing to date and that's all I'm doing here. I'm sure you have your own standards for women as well. I've already explained that it's an issue of compatibility, not me thinking that certain men are "beneath" me, so there's really nothing more to say there.

4. You think that I'm "mouthy" and I have an "attitude" just because I keep responding in my OWN thread, and I'm not changing my personal opinions just because some people are attacking me and telling me that I should? The fact of the matter is that several people in this thread have displayed far more "mouthiness" and "attitude" with their personal attacks on me than I ever did in my original post, but I suppose that's ok since you agree with what they're saying?
He's just being blunt with you.

I'm pretty sure you'd be having the same outcome even if POF wasn't involved. Your absolutely right, you do have the right to decide in which man you'd like to date but the choice (and quality) is rather obvious if your choosing to stare at your inbox on POF.

I think if you lowered your expectations you'd end up with a much more satisfying outcome. If you make that bullet point list any longer your only other options will be to go to the pet store to shop for cats.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
I think if you lowered your expectations you'd end up with a much more satisfying outcome. If you make that bullet point list any longer your only other options will be to go to the pet store to shop for cats.
What expectations? My "bullet point list" as described in this thread consisted of two things only:

1. College degree
2. No kids

If that's such an extravagant list of things to ask for in a man, I will gladly run to the nearest shelter and adopt as many kitties as my heart desires!

There's nothing unreasonable about my expectations here.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:12 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
What expectations? My "bullet point list" as described in this thread consisted of two things only:

1. College degree
2. No kids

If that's such an extravagant list of things to ask for in a man, I will gladly run to the nearest shelter and adopt as many kitties as my heart desires!

There's nothing unreasonable about my expectations here.
So a bunch of pages later... I just don't really get the whole dating thing. I can totally see no kids as a requirement. But people talk about things like college degree, race all sorts of stuff on this board. (OP not just you...)

Doesn't anyone care about things like character? Integrity? Values? Can you even describe what you value? Would you recognize its presence or absence in a potential mate?

I am so glad I am not in the dating world where people think my only value is my degree, my meatloaf or my knockers. (Encompassing many recent threads, not just this one.)

Old 04-12-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
So a bunch of pages later... I just don't really get the whole dating thing. I can totally see no kids as a requirement. But people talk about things like college degree, race all sorts of stuff on this board. (OP not just you...)
True...

Quote:
Doesn't anyone care about things like character? Integrity? Values? Can you even describe what you value? Would you recognize its presence or absence in a potential mate?
I would answer "yes" to all of those questions.

Quote:
I am so glad I am not in the dating world where people think my only value is my degree, my meatloaf or my knockers. (Encompassing many recent threads, not just this one.)
I'm only speaking for myself, but I definitely don't think something like a college degree is a man's only value. It takes time to discover someone's character, morals, integrity, etc. A man's education level is simply something that I use as a starting point to determine potential compatibility. It's just one of those basic facts about a person that all dating sites list and therefore, it is something that some people use to determine compatibility and filter people out. Of course other things are important too, but there's only so much you can find out when viewing a dating profile.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:48 PM

348 posts, read 549,708 times
Wow. 68 pages.

SweetLikeSugar

Bottom line is obviously some have taken your preferences personally.

When a woman lists her preference as over 6'0 and/or makes a lot of money...well, I'm out. And I don't say "Hey, her loss", it's just that I'm not her type. Likewise, you've explained yourself (far more than you should have to) that you have certain preferences. The discussion should probably move past this and onto what to do about meeting someone who fulfills your criteria.

Again, I'd say not lowering your standards, rather doing something that may be outside your comfort zone and/or being more assertive. Have a friend fix you up, go to work parties, etcetera.

Take somewhat comfort in the knowledge that a lot of women get hit on guys they think "wtf? How are we compatible?". I've been set up with several women where I went to the matchmaker "You're kidding right?" Who knows, perhaps they said the same thing about me . Point being that dating can be a crapshoot and doesn't make a lot of sense sometimes. The best one can do is take control of the situation and be more assertive and willing to take chances to find what they are looking for.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostren View Post
Wow. 68 pages.

SweetLikeSugar

Bottom line is obviously some have taken your preferences personally.

When a woman lists her preference as over 6'0 and/or makes a lot of money...well, I'm out. And I don't say "Hey, her loss", it's just that I'm not her type. Likewise, you've explained yourself (far more than you should have to) that you have certain preferences. The discussion should probably move past this and onto what to do about meeting someone who fulfills your criteria.

Again, I'd say not lowering your standards, rather doing something that may be outside your comfort zone and/or being more assertive. Have a friend fix you up, go to work parties, etcetera.

Take somewhat comfort in the knowledge that a lot of women get hit on guys they think "wtf? How are we compatible?". I've been set up with several women where I went to the matchmaker "You're kidding right?" Who knows, perhaps they said the same thing about me . Point being that dating can be a crapshoot and doesn't make a lot of sense sometimes. The best one can do is take control of the situation and be more assertive and willing to take chances to find what they are looking for.
Yes, it's true that I probably should start expanding my horizons to find potential matches in other ways. It couldn't hurt!

With that, can someone PLEASE close this thread? Mods? Bueller?? Anyone???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships