Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 12:16 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times

Advertisements

This is another online dating rant. Everytime I go on POF, I get angry. I don't know if it's just my city (I'm on the East Coast), but there seems to be a very large number of undesirable, bottom of the barrel type men on that site, and they keep sending me messages! The main things I notice on dating profiles are:

1. Photos
2. Age
3. Education
4. Does he have kids?

All four of these things have to be acceptable otherwise I am not interested. I'm routinely contacted by men who didn't go to college AND they have kids. Either of those things alone wouldn't be ideal, but put them together and it's much worse. I just don't understand why these guys think I'd even be interested in them considering that I'm a college educated professional woman with no children. I'm attractive and in shape and definitely not desperate enough to date them. They have absolutely nothing to offer me and I really wish they would stop wasting my time with their stupid, grammatically incorrect messages! Seriously, I just can't deal with it. I know that POF is the most popular free site and occasionally, I'll be contacted by a decent guy which is why I'm reluctant to leave the site altogether, but the majority of these men truly make me sick. I understand that not everyone is intelligent/fortunate/responsible enough to get a college degree or to not have kids out of wedlock, but they need to just focus on women on their own level and leave me alone. It's really ticking me off that I have to immediately block like 98% of the men who contact me on that site. I'd write this up in my profile, but I know I would just sound bitter and end up turning off the men who I do want, and these idiots who I don't want would still keep contacting me anyway.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but I'm fed up and this is how I feel. Has anyone else experienced this issue with POF? I know the site automatically allows you to block messages from certain users based on age, distance, etc., but I would really love it if they added filters for education level and parental status as well.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:24 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Sounds a bit snobbish and "ranty", but I suppose that is just the frustration coming out.

You feel the way you feel, I can't say I really blame you. The problem is I think most guys just take a "shot gun" approach to dating women in general, maybe even more so online.

IDK, I haven't done the online dating thingy.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:29 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Considering how the Phyllis Shoofly thread went .... I'm pulling up a chair

Old 04-08-2012, 12:31 PM

744 posts, read 811,520 times
Maybe somewhat off-topic but it bothers me when women or men bring new people into their kids lives so casually.

One of my neighbors used to bring a new boyfriend in to her home seemingly every few months, as well as a lesbian relationship which was continually ongoing...I felt so horrible for her son..

Old 04-08-2012, 12:38 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Default Sour like vinegar, you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
This is another online dating rant. Everytime I go on POF, I get angry. I don't know if it's just my city (I'm on the East Coast), but there seems to be a very large number of undesirable, bottom of the barrel type men on that site, and they keep sending me messages! The main things I notice on dating profiles are:

1. Photos
2. Age
3. Education
4. Does he have kids?

All four of these things have to be acceptable otherwise I am not interested. I'm routinely contacted by men who didn't go to college AND they have kids. Either of those things alone wouldn't be ideal, but put them together and it's much worse. I just don't understand why these guys think I'd even be interested in them considering that I'm a college educated professional woman with no children. I'm attractive and in shape and definitely not desperate enough to date them. They have absolutely nothing to offer me and I really wish they would stop wasting my time with their stupid, grammatically incorrect messages! Seriously, I just can't deal with it. I know that POF is the most popular free site and occasionally, I'll be contacted by a decent guy which is why I'm reluctant to leave the site altogether, but the majority of these men truly make me sick. I understand that not everyone is intelligent/fortunate/responsible enough to get a college degree or to not have kids out of wedlock, but they need to just focus on women on their own level and leave me alone. It's really ticking me off that I have to immediately block like 98% of the men who contact me on that site. I'd write this up in my profile, but I know I would just sound bitter and end up turning off the men who I do want, and these idiots who I don't want would still keep contacting me anyway.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but I'm fed up and this is how I feel. Has anyone else experienced this issue with POF? I know the site automatically allows you to block messages from certain users based on age, distance, etc., but I would really love it if they added filters for education level and parental status as well.
A few things you need to realize:

1) Men are going to contact you if they like your photos. Although some read profiles and pay attention to the criteria women lay out, you WILL get a certain amount of responses from those who don't meet your specificatons.

2) You need only to ignore them or send them a "no thanks" if there is such an option.

3) Spazzing out and ranting the way you have usually indicates that it's time for an online dater to take a break from it.

4) Just based on what you said here, you sound entirely too snotty and full of yourself to bring anything to the table, yourself, other than attitude, so not going out with these men is doing them a favor. People are not "bottom of the barrel" because they have kids or didn't go to college. You're no better or above them because you went to college and don't have kids. Indeed, start spewing that attitude on a date with someone who does fit your criteria, and unless he's also petulant, you may very well turn him off. If he's a good, kind man, he definitely won't find it attractive, that's for sure. You also run the risk of putting your highly educated foot in your not-so-people-smart mouth because you never know whose brothers, sisters, or parents didn't go to college.

And here I was thinking you were going to talk about something superficial, like long rap sheets and multiple addictions.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:38 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post

1. Photos
2. Age
3. Education
4. Does he have kids?

Every time you view somebody as a 'LOSER', somebody just like you is viewing you as a loser.

What is your degree in? Where'd you get it? Unless it's from a top Ivy, I guarantee I went to a better school than you. So I could easily view you as a 'LOSER'. But I don't see you as lesser than me. You see where this is going?

But there's really no point in pointing these things out. People are just going to keep living the way they are accustomed to.

This is the exact reason why I avoided online dating and will continue to as long as I'm able.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:40 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,034 times
ha, I get the same ish on or offline. Decent, halfway nice looking men are just not attracted to me. oh well. and if he is attractive, he 75% of the time, is a player. I've just come to accept that Its not gonna happen for me as long as I stay in this town where men have really bad taste in women.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:40 PM

307 posts, read 630,791 times
It sounds like the free site isn't working out for you. Have you considered using a pay site where there is more of a barrier to entry?

Old 04-08-2012, 12:43 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post

4) Just based on what you said here, you sound entirely too snotty and full of yourself to bring anything to the table, yourself, other than attitude, so not going out with these men is doing them a favor. People are not "bottom of the barrel" because they have kids or didn't go to college. You're no better or above them because you went to college and don't have kids. Indeed, start spewing that attitude on a date with someone who does fit your criteria, and unless he's also petulant, you may very well turn him off. If he's a good, kind man, he definitely won't find it attractive, that's for sure. You also run the risk of putting your highly educated foot in your not-so-people-smart mouth because you never know whose brothers, sisters, or parents didn't go to college.
Very well said.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:45 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
A few things you need to realize:

1) Men are going to contact you if they like your photos. Although some read profiles and pay attention to the criteria women lay out, you WILL get a certain amount of responses from those who don't meet your specificatons.

2) You need only to ignore them or send them a "no thanks" if there is such an option.

3) Spazzing out and ranting the way you have usually indicates that it's time for an online dater to take a break from it.

And here I was thinking you were going to talk about something superficial, like long rap sheets and multiple addictions.
Agreed.

How dare these men contact her! Don't they know they aren't good enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Every time you view somebody as a 'LOSER', somebody just like you is viewing you as a loser.

What is your degree in? Where'd you get it? Unless it's from a top Ivy, I guarantee I went to a better school than you. So I could easily view you as a 'LOSER'. But I don't see you as lesser than me. You see where this is going?

But there's really no point in pointing these things out. People are just going to keep living the way they are accustomed to.

This is the exact reason why I avoided online dating and will continue to as long as I'm able.
Please don't call me a loser... I didn't go to an Ivy League school...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships