Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarsgirl79 View Post
I don't mine texting, but this solely texting thing is getting on my nerves. I just never seen to really know where to go from there. Do I just wait for a text, text them myself, call?

I texted a guy over the weekend. He's a little younger than I like and 2 hours away, other than that he's cool. He's attractive, interesting, etc. We texted for a long time Saturday and that was it. I haven't heard anything else. Should I text him or wait?
I don't get the point of switching from emailing to texting. It's still typing on a screen. Why do people do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I don't get the point of switching from emailing to texting. It's still typing on a screen. Why do people do that?
I don't think it's the same at all. In e-mails you can exchange elaborate thoughts just the way we can on this forum (including quoting and "having a conversation"), let's say. Texting is just an exchange of meaningless one-liners.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't think it's the same at all. In e-mails you can exchange elaborate thoughts just the way we can on this forum (including quoting and "having a conversation"), let's say. Texting is just an exchange of meaningless one-liners.
okay. well, I get the impression that texting feels more intimate to people.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:17 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times
Quote:
As far as paid vs. unpaid sites, just like I've said many times before, at least here about 80+% of the people overlap.
very true! so weird..

Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Intimate...? You've gotta be kiddin' me! Of course, to those who are glued to their phones, e-mail and text are one and the same...

Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,311 times
Quote:
My wife insists on using this Hey Tell App. It is like a walkie talkie or something. I think it is kind of ridiculous, why not pick up the phone and tell me the 15 second thing, instead of repeating yourself 52 times, so the app hears you correctly.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Intimate...? You've gotta be kiddin' me! Of course, to those who are glued to their phones, e-mail and text are one and the same...
It's not intimate to me either. I'm just trying to figure out the reason why they like going from email to texting. It could be simple issue of laziness. Yeah I'm going with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
My wife insists on using this Hey Tell App. It is like a walkie talkie or something. I think it is kind of ridiculous, why not pick up the phone and tell me the 15 second thing, instead of repeating yourself 52 times, so the app hears you correctly.
She just sounds bored and likes playing with gadget thingies.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:22 AM

109 posts, read 128,404 times
E-Mail is more formal, IM's are a lot more relaxed, and also a lot more fluid. It feels more like a conservation to me were an E-Mail is more like a report.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
It's not intimate to me either. I'm just trying to figure out the reason why they like going from email to texting. It could be simple issue of laziness. Yeah I'm going with that.
In some case, perhaps. In most, it's a lack of anything interesting to say other than "how r u" and an attempt to make it look as if it's due to the medium.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:49 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,319 times
Quote:
Email usually means you need to be by your computer. Texting you can do if you're out and about or at work. Don't want those personal emails showing up on your company server.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships