Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:56 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times

Advertisements

To my knowledge, I've never had this happen. But I've had the opposite happen, for which there is truly no excuse. I asked a female acquaintance if she was seeing anyone. She told me no and then, when I called her later, her parents answered telling me not to call her anymore because she had a boyfriend and it was causing problems. This was confirmed to be true by others. Weird are women!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRacoon View Post
I know many women will give excuses that the guy will ask "why" and other questions and I'll say that is complete and utter nonsense.
As a guy, I can admit this is actually a valid "excuse". Whether a man's desparate and/or thinking she's only turning him down because she got a wrong impression somewhere, whatever the reason may be, a woman does stand a chance at her "I'm not interested" being interpreted as an invite to play 20 questions.

In the club or no, some guys just won't quit until they hear "I'm married with 30 kids and I have AIDS, rabies, and polio - Yeah! Polio! Go figure!... Plus, I'm a guy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 12:06 PM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Why is it that some people when givin differing examples insist these are always exceptions. Perhaps your highschool example is the exception. I have had adult men continue to be persistant and become abusive when I continually said no, im not interested. So why continue to be mean to men and open yourself up to verbal abuse if you get less hassle being nice.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:08 PM

12 posts, read 26,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
I think you answered your own question here. Women often times will fabricate a story to turn a guy down so that she doesn't hurt his feelings; we are really into a persons feelings, well....most of us are anyhow. In my past, I have simply said no or walked away from a guy and it hasn't ended there. I had a date with a guy thru a personal ad. Met him at a public place for drinks. He drank too much then informed me he was into "guns and knives" he said "I collect them". My radar went up right away and I literally told him wasn't interested. He had to call me 100 times maybe more and the only way I got him to stop was to simply not pick up the phone when I saw his number there. So, I guess it works both ways....guys don't say too much trying to impress a lady and end iup scaring her and ladies...however you feel you have to back out of a situation do so without getting yourself hurt. Some guys just don't take NO for an answer.
wow isnt that kinda shallow? just because he collects guns and knives doesn't mean hes a serial killer u know...

Old 04-11-2012, 12:10 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why is it that some people when givin differing examples insist these are always exceptions. Perhaps your highschool example is the exception. I have had adult men continue to be persistant and become abusive when I continually said no, im not interested. So why continue to be mean to men and open yourself up to verbal abuse if you get less hassle being nice.
Yep. Then there's always the guy who won't take "no" for an answer, even if you are direct:

Me: Thanks, but I'm not interested.
Him: Do you have a boyfriend?
Me: No
Him: Then why won't you get coffee with me?
Me: I just don't think you're my type.
Him: How do you know I"m not your type if you won't give me a chance?
Me: I'm sorry, but no.
Him: You think you're better than me?
Etc. etc.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:15 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
yep. Then there's always the guy who won't take "no" for an answer, even if you are direct:

Me: Thanks, but i'm not interested.
him: Then why won't you get coffee with me?
Him: How do you know i"m not your type if you won't give me a chance?
him: You think you're better than me?
etc. Etc.
hahahahaha!

:d

Old 04-11-2012, 12:22 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
Quote:
Yep. Then there's always the guy who won't take "no" for an answer, even if you are direct:

Etc. etc.

Of course, there always those who fail to acknowledge that what you think are "exceptions" are far more common in behavior. Hence, we have threads like this asking why people can practice honesty? The example you post above is one typical of a "jerk". The OP is talking about someone you already have a social relationship with, are both friendly and maybe, just maybe one of them is giving off signals that leads the guy to say hmmm, maybe I should ask her out to coffee.

We all can provide examples, but really life would be so much smoother if you were just upfront about it - that goes for both guys and gals.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Etc. etc.

Exactly! And thats rather mild.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:44 PM

55 posts, read 100,313 times
I just started a thread...but this is how i feel about it

Hello, recently I have decided to try to date again and because I am shy about meeting people out in clubs and bars(it always seems awkward) I have tried the internet. Even with the internet though, I hardly get any responses. Recently I have had two women give me their numbers and when I would text, they would just quit talking to me. No reason. Why can't women just say, "hey, sorry I am not interested" Both women gave me their number without me asking for it so I thought that they were. Why do women do this? It's really aggravating! I would prefer a person to be totally honest and just tell me to my face(and maybe what i did wrong so i would know) than have someone string me along

The other thing, is that while dating women seem to have an INEXHAUSTABLE list of things that they want in a man. This is also frustrating because if i have to bring all these things to the table(must have:car,place, good job, financially stable, fun, good conversation, good looking, good personality, no felonies, no drugs) then you should bring something to besides just your body and what you THINK that I want(i.e. sex) Is it just me or am I doing someone wrong here?

Old 04-11-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Of course, there always those who fail to acknowledge that what you think are "exceptions" are far more common in behavior. Hence, we have threads like this asking why people can practice honesty? The example you post above is one typical of a "jerk". The OP is talking about someone you already have a social relationship with, are both friendly and maybe, just maybe one of them is giving off signals that leads the guy to say hmmm, maybe I should ask her out to coffee.

We all can provide examples, but really life would be so much smoother if you were just upfront about it - that goes for both guys and gals.
In my case all three examples were people I already had a social relationship with and I never gave them signials. I agree people should be able to be upfront. People should not have to be verbally abused for being up front or have to explain themselves or be the persons relationship coach.

So guys, when a woman your not interested in asks you out or dogs you, what do you say to her? Iv seen guys do the same thing women. Ive had guy friends that have asked me to pretend we were together infront of a girl they were trying to dodge instead of just telling her they werent interested.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:10 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So guys, when a woman your not interested in asks you out or dogs you, what do you say to her? Iv seen guys do the same thing women. Ive had guy friends that have asked me to pretend we were together infront of a girl they were trying to dodge instead of just telling her they werent interested.
Never have had that happen. Why? Because I give any woman who approaches me a chance*. If it works out, terrific. If not, no big deal. At least I was able to spend some time with another person.

* - as long as they are 'age-appropriate' and not morbidly obese or anorexic. Sorry, but I do have some criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships