Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 04:37 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,745 times

Advertisements

Wow. Whoa! Being married or in a relationship doesn't mean being joined at the hip. If my S.O. doesn't want to do the same things I want to do, I don't "make" him do them. I like going to art galleries and nosing through book stores. He likes running, biking and camping with the guys. We don't have to share these activities. He's flying across the pond to visit his parents soon — but I'm not going. They're his parents. I'm sure I'll meet them when they come to the states.

He needs his own free time to be himself and hang out with his guy buds — because that's precisely why I chose him, because of all of the things he does that make him independent, and uniquely so. I don't ever want him to turn into someone I don't recognize. I don't want a lap dog who runs my errands and does my bidding. I can shop for my own damn salad stuff, if I feel that's necessary. Yeesh!

I would, however, be really bummed if he stops wanting to have a lot of sex. It wouldn't be a deal breaker, but yeah ... that would be disappointing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Exactly. The best thing we can do for our partners is to encourage them to do the things that they love! Sometimes those things will include us, and many times they won't. Are we all so insecure we have to be joined at the hip? I know there are a ton of women who won't "let" their men do things. But these same men are "allowing" their women to brow-beat them into submission. So they should look at their own beta behaviors!
We were posting about the same thing around the same time.

Jinx, buy me a Coke!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:45 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
We were posting about the same thing around the same time.

Jinx, buy me a Coke!
I would be happy to! Or even a cocktail, it's about happy hour here!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:55 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
We've been over this, having a relationship is no barometer of growing up.
Ain't that the truth. It seems women, and many members of society in relationships, chide those not in relationships as if they are immature and irresponsible. Some might me miserable and jealous. You'll never know.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:00 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
When you grow up, you might be.
Oh, the irony...

I've been happy in and out of relationships. I dont rely on others for happiness, so I'm good either way; there are benefits to both.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:05 PM

399 posts, read 581,742 times
Quote:
When you grow up, you might be.
I don't pretend to know the future. You could be right.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:08 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Oh, the irony...

I've been happy in and out of relationships. I dont rely on others for happiness, so I'm good either way; there are benefits to both.
Now THAT is growing up.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:20 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I am not married. I have been married, and felt like a slave. Work 40 hours a week, and come home and work some more. While my husband watches tv and naps all weekend. He expected the standards of a stay at home Mom, with the benefits of a wife working full time...meaning more money.

Single, and very happy. Not looking for the slave ring again.
I can't blame you for the way you feel. But, with all due respect, are you making light of what a slave went through? You need to understand, most slaves would've loved for someone to marry them. I mean, was your religion, language, or full name taken away? Was your culture and history erased? Were you forced to make a delicacy, out of things that aren't healthy? Were you raped, or killed? I mean, the very fact that you were allowed to come and go, as you wished, gave you far more privileges than a slave. I think people need to understand and realize how bad slavery really was. It's in a class by itself, and a bad marriage will never compare to it. I'm sure you meant nothing by it. But, still... that's a terrible analogy. Shame on you.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:47 PM

399 posts, read 581,742 times
checking out of this one too...not feeling the direction.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
I can't blame you for the way you feel. But, with all due respect, are you making light of what a slave went through? You need to understand, most slaves would've loved for someone to marry them. I mean, was your religion, language, or full name taken away? Was your culture and history erased? Were you forced to make a delicacy, out of things that aren't healthy? Were you raped, or killed? I mean, the very fact that you were allowed to come and go, as you wished, gave you far more privileges than a slave. I think people need to understand and realize how bad slavery really was. It's in a class by itself, and a bad marriage will never compare to it. I'm sure you meant nothing by it. But, still... that's a terrible analogy. Shame on you.
I'm assuming that the poster you quoted is using the word "slave" as a figure of speech.

My own marriage was terribly lopsided in his favor. We both worked 40 hours a week, but I was expected to pick up, clean up, cook, organize, entertain and do all of the domestic grunt work while he relaxed and read his damned "Economist."

Another LT S.O. DID expect me to do all of these things, but also cook gourmet cuisine for him every night, be his personal shopper and take care of everything around the house that went wrong (e.g., the A/C, car troubles, etc.) It was like living with a helpless, spoiled child. When I finally met a guy who does things 50-50, I almost didn't know how to deal with it.

So I can sort of relate, although I probably wouldn't refer to myself as a "slave." I mean, I did have a choice in the matter. Which is precisely why I made the choice to L-E-A-V-E.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships