U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2012, 03:48 PM

14,755 posts, read 14,980,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Actually, any dimensions at all could be applied.
Correct. I said that because those dimensions applied to me. I've done this a couple of times. I kept getting sent these e-mailed specials from a religious oriented singles website (same religion as mine, obviously) which got better and better (rather, cheaper and cheaper) for 3-month sign-ups. I set the age criteria at 2 up and 5 down, to establish a baseline. I did not put down any educational criteria. I did say very directly that I was not interested in children, either my own or someone else's.

I messaged less in the outbound direction and actually got more messages inbound. It was a circus. One woman was sharing an account with her widowed mom, presumably to save money, so the inbound message came from her Mom on her behalf. Based on the conversation with the daughter, I decided I didn't want to meet her. She seemed interesting, but too unconventional. Another woman, a Columbia MBA, looked less than feminine and her terse, "all business" messages were a real turn-off. Never bothered to meet her, either. Another woman from the East Coast and who had the same ethnic background said that "first-gen'ers are different from second-gen'ers like us." Ok, that's a turn-off for you...well, your obsession with your college basketball team is a turn-off for me. A few "jockettes" replied and I didn't follow up. One very attractive lady who went to a Catholic HS that had the same name as mine, but elsewhere in the country, wrote a few times, but she ignored the "no kids" requirement. Another very likable lady fairly close by responded, and I met her, but she had a list of questions as to HOW Catholic I was, including my views on abortion. Our views differed.

There was only ONE who I was really curious to meet, or at least talk to. She lived in a suburb of a palatable large metro area, had no geographic restrictions, was a teacher, never married, attractive, feminine and went to a college similar to mine. So, I messaged her and never heard back. For one, I think the photos were a little dated. Secondly, I read her "about herself" several times. It sounded like an 18 to 20 yo that had watched "Cinderella" one too many times. She said that she wanted a man with whom she could do (insert romantic outing) in the spring, (insert et al) in the summer, (insert et al) in the fall, and (insert et al) in winter. I thought "hopeless romantic/nut job." Too bad, because the rest of the presentation was appealing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 03:51 PM

42,844 posts, read 54,175,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Anyways, I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else. that wasn't what I meant to do.
No problem. I'm not offended at all. Just exchanging thoughts...

Old 04-12-2012, 04:05 PM

5,208 posts, read 3,394,145 times
If someone doesn't like online dating then that's fine, but just because someone uses a dating website to help them meet potential dates doesn't doesn't mean they're a loser. I know a lot of attractive people with good jobs and active social lives who met their SO's online. The internet is just the medium putting you into contact with people you wouldn't otherwise have met. Once you meet someone in person the relationship ceases to exist "online" and starts to exist in real life.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:08 PM

14,755 posts, read 14,980,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
The internet is just the medium putting you into contact with people you wouldn't otherwise have met.
Correct. That dovetails my comment on how I would find a certain car or a certain breed of dog by combing the Los Angeles Times.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,530,134 times
well , on a related note, signing up as a chick on okcupid was WAY more entertaining than i expected. at least this site is good for pranks.

i went and found about 6 or 7 random messages that i received, didn't read them, but responded with: " what? "

they all responded back with apologies or clarification. LOL. You can just smell the desperation.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 04-13-2012 at 10:36 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 10:42 AM

554 posts, read 686,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
well , on a related note, signing up as a chick on okcupid was WAY more entertaining than i expected. at least this site is good for pranks.

i went and found about 6 or 7 random messages that i received, didn't read them, but responded with: " what? "

they all responded back with apologies or clarification. LOL. You can just smell the desperation.
That's messed up. That is the equivalent of a setting up a fake job posting to see what the job market competition is like.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,869,259 times
It doesn't matter what the man:woman ratio is on dating sites. And you don't have to be wealthy or especially handsome to succeed. If you are about average in most ways and a decent human being with reasonable ability to communicate in writing, you can meet plenty of good prospects - in fact, women will contact YOU regularly. If anything, you'll be doing the rejecting most of the time, because many of the women aren't up to your standards.

Of course, if you come across with a bad attitude, cliched information, or are amongst that group of 50% who are below the average for the site, then you may not get anywhere.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:54 AM

652 posts, read 364,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post

So let me get this straight, you start a thread talking about how dating sites hurt men's self esteem, then proceed to troll guys on a fake female profile and insult them behind their backs on an internet forum.

That's nice.

Grow up.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:59 AM

2,354 posts, read 1,706,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
It doesn't matter what the man:woman ratio is on dating sites. And you don't have to be wealthy or especially handsome to succeed. If you are about average in most ways and a decent human being with reasonable ability to communicate in writing, you can meet plenty of good prospects - in fact, women will contact YOU regularly. If anything, you'll be doing the rejecting most of the time, because many of the women aren't up to your standards.

Of course, if you come across with a bad attitude, cliched information, or are amongst that group of 50% who are below the average for the site, then you may not get anywhere.
This is a great point. The ratio is what people like to focus on, but being desirable in this context is really all about writing up a good profile. You'd be surprised how many people (more common with men) present themselves in an incredibly undesirable light by having a lot of typos or writing about weird topics.

You also have to keep in mind that different sites cater to different crowds. The site I used was home for many of the types of women I was looking for and who would mesh well with me. I contacted many people and had many contacting me as well. Doesn't matter that there were tons more guys than girls because 80% of the guys didn't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

Old 04-13-2012, 11:18 AM

5,208 posts, read 3,394,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post
So let me get this straight, you start a thread talking about how dating sites hurt men's self esteem, then proceed to troll guys on a fake female profile and insult them behind their backs on an internet forum.

That's nice.

Grow up.
Well said, thank you. Many of us use those websites hoping to meet someone decent. You're part of the problem if you're creating "fake" profiles. Must be nice to have so much free time on your hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships