Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 11:59 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,615,084 times

Advertisements

ITT I will explain why I think online dating is futile, for people like myself (normal, young, single males.)

Not long ago, I engaged in a very simple experiment: I signed up a real profile (for myself), and fake profile (of a girl.) Now, this girl is someone I used to date -- so she's not "out of my league" or anything. We ought to be similar in attractiveness, to the opposite sex.

I just counted: Since April 1, she's gotten 58 views. I've gotten 6 !

That means for every 1 single, active female online profile, you have about 10 men chasing her.

I didn't count the messages sent/received, but the discrepancy is even more severe. ( I would expect messages received to be very different between men and women, but not profile views. )

I posted this because I see a lot of men on this forum, whose self esteem has been totally crushed by relying on online dating as a measure of their desirability to women. So the moral of the story: Men, don't let online rejection affect your self esteem, because it isn't a reflection of flesh-and-blood reality. Get out there in the sunshine and talk to women. That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,296,240 times
I've heard the stats like this. I'm surprised there isn't equality of the genders on these sites. Maybe more so after 30 or 40. But I do think that there are more men on these sites, because women might not like the "exposure." I'm sure there is some risk involved.

I've actually known people who got married from meeting on-line, and it seems to be working out. Most of these people had specific requirements. One couple met on J-Date, which caters to Jewish singles. I got to go to a Jewish wedding, which is very different from a Christian/Catholic one.

I'll say this in favor of on-line dating. When I was a teen in SoCal, and I wanted a certain type of car or a certain type of dog, I would scan the Los Angeles Times. You read the ad, call and ask a few questions, and then go to the location to check out the items. In all cases, I wound up with cars and a dog that were awesome. On-line dating could be much the same, especially if you have ethnic, religious or familial status dimensions that are important to you.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
When I was a teen in SoCal, and I wanted a certain type of car or a certain type of dog, I would scan the Los Angeles Times. You read the ad, call and ask a few questions, and then go to the location to check out the items. In all cases, I wound up with cars and a dog that were awesome. On-line dating could be much the same, especially if you have ethnic, religious or familial status dimensions that are important to you.
It could, sure, but it's not.

Again , my purpose here is just to point out to other men that the results of online dating should not be taken to heart.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:12 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,389,362 times
think about it, if online dating is anything like real dating, attractive women will be in high demand on a site and u can sure bet that any guy will message them because if they dont respond so what. An attractive girl doesnt need to go searching for profiles becuase she'll have enough men coming after her for her to decide if she wants to date one or not.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:13 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,749,320 times
Online dating is great for some. Otherwise stick to meeting people from churches, socials, cookouts, weddings, parties, clubs, sports, gym, etc.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
think about it, if online dating is anything like real dating, attractive women will be in high demand on a site and u can sure bet that any guy will message them because if they dont respond so what. An attractive girl doesnt need to go searching for profiles becuase she'll have enough men coming after her for her to decide if she wants to date one or not.
Well, I think that attractive men are in high demand as well in the "real dating world," but not nearly as much so online. Something obviously gets lost in translation.

For women it is the opposite. Attractive women are more in-demand on the internet, than they are in the "real dating world."

My ex and I are both good looking people, who are "in demand" in the "real dating world." The discrepancy only shows up online.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Online dating is great for some. Otherwise stick to meeting people from churches, socials, cookouts, weddings, parties, clubs, sports, gym, etc.
The unbolded might work. The gym can be fairly superficial and not exactly a great place to make conversation.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Again , my purpose here is just to point out to other men that the results of online dating should not be taken to heart.
I agree. It's easier not to take it to heart when you've never met the person and no rapport has had the chance to develop.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:29 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,374,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Well, I think that attractive men are in high demand as well in the "real dating world," but not nearly as much so online. Something obviously gets lost in translation.

For women it is the opposite. Attractive women are more in-demand on the internet, than they are in the "real dating world."

My ex and I are both good looking people, who are "in demand" in the "real dating world." The discrepancy only shows up online.
I agree with this statement. I view online dating as just another tool to supplement real world dating. It's a way to meet people you otherwise never would've encountered in the regular world. Most women are shy and passive and, just like in the real world, they don't usually initiate first contact with a man so I don't take it personally if I don't get tons of messages from women. I do occasionally get initial messages from women.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
I agree with this statement. I view online dating as just another tool to supplement real world dating. It's a way to meet people you otherwise never would've encountered in the regular world. Most women are shy and passive and, just like in the real world, they don't usually initiate first contact with a man so I don't take it personally if I don't get tons of messages from women. I do occasionally get initial messages from women.
On a side note, what I'm trying to figure out is why younger women hate online dating so much.

Men are obviously far more willing to date online, than women. I suspect women feel they're missing out on something online, but I can't figure exactly what that is. I suspect it has something to do with an inability to determine a man's social status, but that's just speculation.

One would think it would be a major opportunity for women, to be able to force a guy to type out his thoughts, and to be able to slow down the pace. You'd think that would help them weed out the players and undesirables -- but it just doesn't work that way. Clearly there's something my male brain is overlooking, here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships