Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:46 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
spent time in his book talking about how they cheat?
In one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 08:56 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:
Common sense?

You mean that if a man has ample opportunity, he will never be faithful?
There may be some truth to this, at least when it's combined with traveling a lot, and an atmosphere where cheating is condoned and encouraged (like a good ol' boys club kind of thing) by their peers.

I've also hear that guys in the military cheat a lot too for the same reasons.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:58 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Hm. Given how much men seem to love the idea of 'honor' and love movies and stuff with codes and oaths and pledges, seems pretty hypocritical.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:33 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Is there something to this? Personally I think the Jaguars will keep themselves in the NFL basement thinking like this.
Before I even read the whole quote I knew exactly where this idea came from. The Steelers have always done things differently, and are extremely successful. Mularkey probably picked up some of the old Chuck Noll wisdom during his stint there as an assistant coach.

Look at the Patriots in the early 2000s: they had this mentality and won three Superbowls. The Giants do it this way, won Superbowl XLVI. The Jags were in the basement because their offense sucked last year; both the Texans and Titans have top-rated defenses. Someone either doesn't know anything about football or can't read stat sheets...

Old 04-14-2012, 09:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
There may be some truth to this, at least when it's combined with traveling a lot, and an atmosphere where cheating is condoned and encouraged (like a good ol' boys club kind of thing) by their peers.

I've also hear that guys in the military cheat a lot too for the same reasons.
I'll have to agree on this, especially the bold and/or underlined. We're stereotyping (did I say that?) but it's correct most of the time.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:31 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,087 times
Quote:
Common sense?

You mean that if a man has ample opportunity, he will never be faithful?
occasional opportunity is one thing
having gorgeous women throwing themselves at you 24/7 with no effort required on their part especially when these guys are on the road all year-most men especially in their 20s and 30s won't be faithful

then again some people were shocked when the whole tiger woods thing came out
the real shock should be saved for athletes who don't cheat b/c they are few and far between

Old 04-15-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Jose Canseco (the liar) knows the majority of professional athletes personally and spent time in his book talking about how they cheat?
when cansecos book first came out everyone said he was a liar blah blah blah
little by little its all coming out to be true (about steroids)
in the book he also said almost every single player he ever played with cheats on his wife

ive seen it first hand- usually with road teams out at bars or clubs

most of these marriages are total shams anyway

Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Hm. Given how much men seem to love the idea of 'honor' and love movies and stuff with codes and oaths and pledges, seems pretty hypocritical.
im not sure where you get this from at all

keep in mind also that these arent normal guys
they were all (or 99+ pct) stars in high school or college with women throwing themselves at them back then
that's normal to them
they **** models actresses etc- women most men only fantasize about

they get married but they arent normal marriages-they're usually to their trophy wives who don't have to do anything other than spend money
a lot of these guys get divorced a year or 2 after they retire b/c they don't really even know their wives

if you think most atheltes musians and movie stars don't cheat you're delusional

hell read david wells book too while you're at it
the funniest part is when he talked about his first year in the minor leagues
he said he went from not being able to get laid at home once he was out of HS, to his whole team going out and picking up local girls to bang after games, to going back home in the off season where he wasnt really well known (yet) and couldn't get laid

Old 04-15-2012, 09:10 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post

if you think most atheltes musians and movie stars don't cheat you're delusional

hell read david wells book too while you're at it
the funniest part is when he talked about his first year in the minor leagues
he said he went from not being able to get laid at home once he was out of HS, to his whole team going out and picking up local girls to bang after games, to going back home in the off season where he wasnt really well known (yet) and couldn't get laid
I don't think that at all. I think any guy who is presented the opportunity is more likely to cheat than a woman given the same opportunity.
I think men put a lot of lip service into commitment and fidelity and honor, but it's usually b.s. spewed by people who don't really have a choice.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:20 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,039 times
Quote:
Jose Canseco (the liar) knows the majority of professional athletes personally and spent time in his book talking about how they cheat?
WHat a terrible argument, I hate these so please knock it off. If I say "Women like receiving compliments" someone has to make a point of replying "you havent met all women on earth, so your point is baseless..." No duh.... Please use logic. Canseco was a professional athlete for most of his life, and rubbed shoulders daily with the guys this thread talks about. I will take his account and opinion on the subject as true, since he knows 1000 times better than you will ever know. The fact that he hasnt personaly witnessed every pro athlete cheat, is a stupid argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships