Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would prefer only having 1 partner if he/she was your true love?
Yes 82 51.90%
Undecided 16 10.13%
No 60 37.97%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 07:24 PM

7 posts, read 11,769 times

Advertisements

It's a myth that one sexual partner was the norm for most people (I'm including both sexes). Until the 1960's it pretty much was the norm for your average woman but not you're average man. It would be great if this was the norm, but it never was. In the 1950's my mother worked in a major mid-western city as an executive secretary for several different companies (a couple of them are well-known but I'm not naming them). It wasn't uncommon for men at these companies to cheat on their wife. Everyone knew it but it was pushed under the rug. Some of the things that my mom told me went on wouldn't be tolerated today and any company who allowed such things to go on would be sued for sexual harrassment and creating a hostile work enviornment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 08:09 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, back when being married to one person for life was the norm, marriage cost some women their life. Women were property, and domestic violence wasn't considered a crime. The Temperance Movement was an attempt to prevent women from being beaten bloody. Other marriages were loveless, and people stayed with each other because divorce was so difficult, if it existed at all. Some couples lived separate lives and occupied separate bedrooms.

So, if your question presupposes that the marriage is a good match, then I'd agree. But women need liberal divorce laws for their own safety. Though we may lament the changes we've seen in that regard (I wonder how much of that lament is due to simple nostalgia), the fact is that in so doing, we tend to idealize marriage, and only think of the exceptional couples that got along well most of the time. The liberalization of divorce laws happened for a good reason.

You might ask the question a different way, and see what answers come up: would anyone on the forum who's been through a divorce or is now going through one, want to turn back the clock and be required to stay with their (ex-) spouse for the rest of their life?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-21-2012 at 08:30 PM..

Old 04-21-2012, 08:28 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
This is a very interesting question, or rather, group of questions.

I would NOT want to go back to an era where only having one sexual partner in your lifetime was the norm, because so many other things were just wrong in those time periods.

I WOULD prefer having only one sexual partner in my lifetime, assuming it was my true love.

"Variety" is not important, and I think ideally, the dating process should provide enough "sorting" so you know when you've found the one.

Is it the end of the world that it doesn't work that way for most people? Of course not. I do regret each and every sexual encounter I had before my current gf. I don't kick myself over it, but I would change it if given the chance. All in all, your current mentality is much more important than your past behavior.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:31 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
if they are my soulmate...sure

Old 04-21-2012, 08:48 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Yes, I wish it was that way still. And that sex before marriage was an absolute non-starter.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:52 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
At 19 I met my soulmate, and I waited until we were engaged. He was the first. 33 years later, we are still happily together, and I don't think I've missed anything. I always found the idea of promiscuity disgusting, personally, but to each his own.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:39 PM

352 posts, read 1,003,693 times
If I was sure my sexual partner was also The One, then I would be fine with it.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:45 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
I don't really care what other people do. I'm 35 and my wife is the only woman I have ever been with. It was challenging at times... there have been opportunities to experience "new things", but I didn't, and I'm glad. Strict monogamy works for me. I don't see myself ever having sex with anyone else. To each his or her own though.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:59 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
That era would have to predate the "Oldest Profession"

Old 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Just a simple poll, nothing more than it says.

I mean do you find the 'variety' that important?

Or do you see this as more a process of sorting through people to 'find the one'?

I wonder if most people are really monogamous at heart...yet at the same time you're looked down upon if you have less than 4 sexual partners in your lifetime.

While I can definitely see the appeal, I sort of look back fondly at a time (if there ever was a time) when most people were monogamous. Let's take away all the associations with patriachy and stuff - obviously, sexual liberation is something that some men and women welcomed...

There was never a time when most people were monogamous. They just didn't talk about their premarital sex and extramarital affairs openly, as Kinsey made very clear in his research. Look throughout history, and you will see that there has never been a time when people didn't cheat. In some cultures, even today, mistresses and paramours are an expected part of the landscape. It's only in puritanical America where people like to pretend there was once some golden age when every husband loved and adored his wife, who was his first and only love, and every wife loved and adored her husband, who was her first and only love. Reality is quite different.

That is not to say that there are not people who are monogamous, or that there are not people who married the only lover they've ever had.

Just that this "once upon a time when the world was monogamous" stuff is a fairy tale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships