Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:48 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,855,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't like using "female" as a noun and not an adjective. I'm not offended by it, it's just annoying to me in the same way as people misusing "literally" or "I could care less."
OK, I can agree with you there. Usually I use it as an adjective but sometimes I do use it as a noun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 12:48 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i was on a forum and i called myself a female and people tore into me and said there is something wrong with me if i refer to myself as a female. i tried to look it up and nothing came up.. well i am of the female sex so i'm confused on why its wrong.

I guess this is the right forum
Weird...I must be out of touch....I would never have even considered the words "female", and "male" (lets be fair) would be thought of in a derogatory fashion.....to me the words simply denote the sex of someone...that's all.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:31 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Weird...I must be out of touch....I would never have even considered the words "female", and "male" (lets be fair) would be thought of in a derogatory fashion.....to me the words simply denote the sex of someone...that's all.
I still don't understand it and nobody has been able to explain it to me yet.

So far I've had plenty of insults slung my way, etc., but no "this is why the word is derogatory" explanation. People seem waaaaaaaaay more reactive than logical about this. For whatever reason.

I think I'm out of touch too.

Even if the word is scientific, why are scientific terms derogatory? I just don't get it. (shrug) But then again...I'm a low-class Black (oh nooooooes) male who runs in slummy circles. (Who knew?)

Old 04-20-2012, 01:42 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I do wish you'd stop saying that, calipoppy. Okay, you're trying to shame those of us who aren't offended by the term "female" into changing our minds. I get that. That's what's low-class. It's also rather a dirty trick, if I may say so, for those who can't see the motivation behind it.

I am by now means low class and I have used the term "female." By the way, I'm not black either. Not even with a capital letter... (By the way, what was with the "Black" - capital B - thing? Is that bad too?)

Please please do stop trying to force and shame people into your way of thinking with silly assertions like the ones you're making here. Of course it isn't just "the lower classes" that say female.

We get that you don't like it. That should be good enough for you. If you fell you have to irritate/irk people into saying "But that's not me!" in order to prove your point, then you're pretty shaky on your point.

You're outright insulting people.
I am not trying to "shame" anyone. You can call yourself whatever you desire to call yourself. It really is none of my personal concern.

The OP asked a question and I included MY opinion on the topic. The words with which we chose to express ourselves does give indications of one's class level whether we like it or not. The highly educated and the upper socioeconomic classes do not tend to use "female" in place of woman (outside of a clinical/medical/law enforcement reference) in their vernacular.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:42 PM

^^ You know what? Maybe that's why I don't get it. Science just doesn't...offend me.

I was just thinking about how I will often say to my children, "Hello, my little XY genotype, how was school today?" (Yes, I really do this. I guess all low-life scum must. ) They think it's funny and I think it's funny.

I would be more disgusted being called a girl (please, I have breasts, a job, a household and haven't skipped rope in decades) or a lady (can I have a side of 1950s repression with that?) than what I actually am. And what I actually am is female.

No, it's not all I am. I am also brunette. If I say I'm brunette does that mean I'm saying that's the sum of my parts? Silliness...

Hopefully most, or at least some, of this made sense. I really don't get it. I keep asking and don't get solid answers. I don't know what to tell you...you um, ladies. (Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh) (bleah) I mean I'll say it if you really want...just don't say it to me.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

The OP asked a question and I included MY opinion on the topic. The words with which we chose to express ourselves does give indications of one's class level whether we like it or not. The highly educated and the upper socioeconomic classes do not tend to use "female" in place of woman (outside of a clinical/medical/law enforcement reference) in their vernacular.
And again I tell you that I am among the highly educated, upper/upper middle class and I say female so you are incorrect.

You're saying this as fact, not opinion.

I really can't believe this is so hard.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:52 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
And again I tell you that I am among the highly educated, upper/upper middle class and I say female so you are incorrect.

You're saying this as fact, not opinion.

I really can't believe this is so hard.
Again, I am not referring to "female" being used as an adjective. I am referring to "female" being used as a noun.

People who are respectful will use respectful language in referring to someone. I also do not want to be referred to as a "broad" or a "chick".

Old 04-20-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Again, I am not referring to "female" being used as an adjective. I am referring to "female" being used as a noun.

People who are respectful will use respectful language in referring to someone. I also do not want to be referred to as a "broad" or a "chick".
Oh God...Okay, I'll leave you to that, hon. Obviously you don't want to get it.

Apparently, not being a lower-class sleezebag is no guarantee of comprehension of simple ideas. In that case, I'll stay sleezy and smart.

And we'll just agree to disagree.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:57 PM

10,176 posts, read 11,159,885 times
It will only offend - if you're a snob. That's what I"m getting - from the few who are offended..

Old 04-20-2012, 01:58 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,855,620 times
Quote:

I say "chick" all the time too. And I'm female. Sorry, a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships