Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 04:05 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,158 times

Advertisements

I don't find anything particularly offensive about the word "female," but it does sound a bit clinical. When I think of the word "female," I tend to imagine it as an adjective, e.g., "female cat," "female dog," etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 04:09 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
This post isn't about whether men are offended at being called male. It's about whether women are offended at being called female.

Of course, you can always start your own thread.

I am directing my post to women, read again. I wrote "non-males" just in case some of you find it degrating/insulting/dehumanizing to be called whatever. So I thought "non males" would be safe.

For all the non-males out there, do you find it offensive, insulting, degrating, and dehuminizing when you fill out an application/form and it says: Please check one: Male...F-E-M-A-L-E. I wonder how women would fill out those forms/applications. They are all over the place.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:10 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, you may consider yourself an animal, but most of us do not.
oh that makes me an animal? well i call myself a female because was born with female sex organs not because i'm an animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Yeah I had a thread in this forum somewhere and I think I called women/girls females and for some reason all these other CDers had to call me out on it like it was a big deal.

Aren't the words women, girls, and females all the same thing? I could understand it being disrespectful if I was referring to them as chicks maybe but I don't really see the issue with the word females.

But I have noticed that people on these boards like to over analyze and correct people even on their punctuation and spelling which for the most part isn't necessary.
i really don't know, i thought b*tch,sl*t,c*nt, etc were bad terms, not scientific terms or common slang, but oh wells

Old 04-19-2012, 04:11 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I don't think I've ever heard of a sillier complaint than a woman being upset at being called female.

How is this remotely offensive?

The term has been used forever, and now this week it's suddenly bad? Why?

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
To tell you the truth, I am feeling bad now about those who take offense. I'm going to take "female" off my list...honestly, perhaps I've been living in a cave but I've never gotten this one. But that doesn't mean it isn't a real issue. I may just be missing it.

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
If somebody cares to read more on the subject, there was a thread not long ago on it.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post

For all the non-males out there, do you find it offensive, insulting, degrating, and dehuminizing when you fill out an application/form and it says: Please check one: Male...F-E-M-A-L-E. I wonder how women would fill out those forms/applications. They are all over the place.
Again, isn't this a thread hijack? Go ahead and start your own post if you're concerned about this question, onihC. (I'm more puzzled than ever here. Maybe it's just me?)

Old 04-19-2012, 04:15 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Again, isn't this a thread hijack? Go ahead and start your own post if you're concerned about this question, onihC. (I'm more puzzled than ever here. Maybe it's just me?)
Why would you see it as a highjack of a thread if I am asking a question about how insulting it would be to fill out a form/application where you have to check where it says FEMALE? First you thought I was asking males if they were offended and now what? Read again. I made the question to non-males (women, girls, ladies, chicks, gals, las, females, etc.) and now you don't know how to simply say "Oh, my bad, I thought you were directing your questions to males."

I don't see how my question is out of topic:

For all the non-males out there, do you find it offensive, insulting, degrating, and dehuminizing when you fill out an application/form and it says: Please check one: Male...F-E-M-A-L-E?

I wonder how women would fill out those forms/applications. They are all over the place from government and jobs to even becoming a member in a social network.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Why highjack, first you thought I was asking males if they were offended and now what? Read again. I made the question to women and now you don't know how to simply say "Oh, my bad, I thought you were directing your questions to males."

I don't see how my question is out of topic:

For all the non-males out there, do you find it offensive, insulting, degrating, and dehuminizing when you fill out an application/form and it says: Please check one: Male...F-E-M-A-L-E?

I wonder how women would fill out those forms/applications. They are all over the place and they ask to check where it says male or FEMALE.
Oh, for the "non-males." I'm a non-male. No, I don't find it dehumanizing. Is this a serious question or just another "Ah-ha! Gotcha, you slippery phony women" thing?

Hopefully other women will answer. (BTW...you could have just said women if you were concerned.)

Old 04-19-2012, 04:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Here's a nice and quick example that doesn't require typing on my part. I've never really heard the word used in my circles and I never will. If some "females" want to associate with the types described below, it's fine with me. "Urban" in this instance can be safely replaced by "ghetto."

It is very common for urban men to use "Female" as their default term for women.

Examples
1. "Ay yo, where da females at?"
2. "I'm finna to call up dis female I met."

When the word "Female" is used in that context it can be perceived as offensive.

You don't hear women walking around saying "My boyfriend is a dumb a** male." ,or "I saw a bunch of cute males at the mall.

So why do some guys use the word "female" in this manner?

I also find it annoying the way people are using "dude" instead of "guys".

Examples:
1. "I haven't met a nice dude in awhile."
2. "You know dudes love sex."
4 years ago Report Abuse Additional Details
No, I don't hang with thugs. Through observation and listening, I have noticed a lot of men speak in this particular manner, especially in rap music. I also ride public transportation, and through that I hear a lot of different conversations.
4 years ago

"You're a dumb b*tch!"
"You're a dumb female"

They practically feel the same.

Do women find the word "Female" offensive...? Men and Women welcome.? - Yahoo! Answers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships