Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 AM

26,691 posts, read 41,633,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
See what I mean?
You don't do it for the external rewards.
You do it because that is what you are made of...for the internal rewards.That YOU do a good job no matter what.

This concept is completely lost on most of the american work force. There's no pride.

By the way, excellence is a habit. You can't just turn it on and off.
Internal rewards don't pay the rent. Employers are just getting greedier today. pride, I'm not going to give myself to my company just to get a foot in the a^$ in a few months. I'm actively looking for other work so I can bolt. Employers care nothing about their employees, why should those employees care about their employer and give themself to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 09:16 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,223,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Internal rewards don't pay the rent. Employers are just getting greedier today. pride, I'm not going to give myself to my company just to get a foot in the a^$ in a few months. I'm actively looking for other work so I can bolt. Employers care nothing about their employees, why should those employees care about their employer and give themself to them.
LOL!
You're not doing it for the employer.
You are doing it for your own self respect.

But, like I said, these kind of things aren't important to the majority of the american work force.

Don't forsake excellence for excellence's sake and then whine to us later about how you didn't get anywhere in life.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,418,348 times
My SO is the most ambitious man I've ever met. He is also among the most restless, perpetually stressed, unable to relax...I worry for him, because he sets very high benchmarks for himself...and when he meets them (and he always meets them), there is no moment where he congratulates himself for a job well-done, doesn't pause for a moment to take pride in his accomplishment, etc. It's IMMEDIATELY on to the next benchmark, the old one having been completely devalued by the mere fact that it was attained.

All things in moderation. What is the point of working hard if you don't ever enjoy the fruits of your labors, be they literal or metaphorical?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:24 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,223,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My SO is the most ambitious man I've ever met. He is also among the most restless, perpetually stressed, unable to relax...I worry for him, because he sets very high benchmarks for himself...and when he meets them (and he always meets them), there is no moment where he congratulates himself for a job well-done, doesn't pause for a moment to take pride in his accomplishment, etc. It's IMMEDIATELY on to the next benchmark, the old one having been completely devalued by the mere fact that it was attained.

All things in moderation. What is the point of working hard if you don't ever enjoy the fruits of your labors, be they literal or metaphorical?
I kind of get what he is probably thinking.

That if *I* could achieve this, it must not have been very hard.

I like your last paragraph. Hard to put it into practice.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
LOL!
You're not doing it for the employer.
You are doing it for your own self respect.

But, like I said, these kind of things aren't important to the majority of the american work force.

Don't forsake excellence for excellence's sake and then whine to us later about how you didn't get anywhere in life.
Excellence? This is about effort. I could be excellent at my job if I actually cared.

Oh yeah, my self-respect won't allow me to put myself out for a greedy employer at a dead-end job.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:43 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,418,348 times
Quote:
I kind of get what he is probably thinking.

That if *I* could achieve this, it must not have been very hard.

I like your last paragraph. Hard to put it into practice.
Is it? I feel like taking the time to appreciate what you have is a skill that can be learned.

It can be very hard to live with someone who figures that he'll be happy once he's obtained something vaguely and hazily defined as "enough" somewhere in some unnamed and equally hazy future, when you know darned well that he's always going to set up his life so that there's always some next, bigger carrot that's dangling juuuuust a bit further out of his reach.

Not a recipe for happiness.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:50 AM

773 posts, read 1,256,991 times
Quote:
Agree. If you are paying your bills, is it that wrong to be content with just that? I'd love to make more money but I will not trade all my free time for it. Any woman who dont understand that does not need to be with me.
Double rep for you, friend.

"Work" is a four-letter word for a reason. Like my dad said, "We weren't put on this earth to be happy every minute of the day." There's no such thing as a "dream job."

That said, i would hate to be with a man who couldn't stand everything about his job or whose employer treated him poorly. That can take a toll on mental health (self-esteem), which in turn flows into personal relationships.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:30 AM

8,012 posts, read 8,186,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
^^^^This. To have dreams and goals, to be actively living life, not just existing with no purpose or direction or care.
Tell that to the millions of people who are struggling just to exist right now.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:36 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,049,794 times
Quote:
You haven't even graduated yet, so what the hell do you know about the world of work? You haven't earned the right to be cynical yet.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You haven't even graduated yet, so what the hell do you know about the world of work? You haven't earned the right to be cynical yet.
I've worked at least part-time throughout college including the last 3 years full-time. That is what I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships