Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:32 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
My goodness..how can you suggest sleeping pills, tylenol pm or benadryl to someone who is perhaps depressed! The city data forum is a great suggestion but not the pills!! If this person is having issues sleeping, get outside during the day and walk or loosen up with his coworkers and TALK...pills solve nothing.
NOTICE I SAID I, not YOU, what you/him do to get by on loneliness has nothing to do with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 07:10 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
Default Loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlsanders View Post
I have a question for everyone. How do you all deal with loneliness?

To make a long story short I dont have any friends and I dont have any relationship prospects. Anytime I go do an activity that I would normally enjoy, I feel depression because the feeling of not having someone with me. Just some answers and suggestions would be helpful.
To be truthful, I've never been in your situation for any length of time, and I suspect few people on this forum have been in that situation. I was single after going through a divorce, for 13 years. I certainly did not want to re-marry but here I am, married (going on 20 years) and happy as if I had good sense. I was married for 20 years and had 4 kids, lots of people around me to interact with, if I never went out of my house. After the divorce I was alone, but I never was really what I would call lonely. I never pined for someone to be with. I did find that friends and family just couldn't take the place of my wife, and for a short time I felt my life was kind of hopeless. To combat that, I threw all my energy into my job and the business I owned. It didn't take long to realize I needed some fun in my life, so every weekend I went out to clubs and danced the night away, I made lots of friends doing that, but not someone I would want to spend my life with. Then one day at a customer's business I meet a woman who was interesting, funny, and someone who made me laugh. The only problem, she had two kids in high school, and a boyfriend. We became good friends, one day the boyfriend was out of the picture and sometime later both kids were out of the home. Back then I didn't know that one day soon, she would propose marriage and I would be smart enough to say ok. So, look around you, learn to be friendly, learn to smile and be willing to try new things. You will not meet someone that you can be interested in, if you stay home and watch TV.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:26 PM

135 posts, read 146,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
To be truthful, I've never been in your situation for any length of time, and I suspect few people on this forum have been in that situation. I was single after going through a divorce, for 13 years. I certainly did not want to re-marry but here I am, married (going on 20 years) and happy as if I had good sense. I was married for 20 years and had 4 kids, lots of people around me to interact with, if I never went out of my house. After the divorce I was alone, but I never was really what I would call lonely. I never pined for someone to be with. I did find that friends and family just couldn't take the place of my wife, and for a short time I felt my life was kind of hopeless. To combat that, I threw all my energy into my job and the business I owned. It didn't take long to realize I needed some fun in my life, so every weekend I went out to clubs and danced the night away, I made lots of friends doing that, but not someone I would want to spend my life with. Then one day at a customer's business I meet a woman who was interesting, funny, and someone who made me laugh. The only problem, she had two kids in high school, and a boyfriend. We became good friends, one day the boyfriend was out of the picture and sometime later both kids were out of the home. Back then I didn't know that one day soon, she would propose marriage and I would be smart enough to say ok. So, look around you, learn to be friendly, learn to smile and be willing to try new things. You will not meet someone that you can be interested in, if you stay home and watch TV.
Hmmm, so if I do my math right your story takes place going all the way back 33 years correct? People have changed since then, Im here all of these stories of people being married for 20 and 30 years. Unfortunately somewhere along the line (probably sometime in the 90's) people have over all gotten alot more shallow than the 80's and before. Everyone seems to be more career driven and more about money (which is good in ways). But at the sametime it makes them more prone to be alone when they get older. Stories like yours just dont happen all that often in this day and age.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:24 PM

105 posts, read 137,054 times
I feel the same way. Such a bad feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlsanders View Post
I have a question for everyone. How do you all deal with loneliness?

To make a long story short I dont have any friends and I dont have any relationship prospects. Anytime I go do an activity that I would normally enjoy, I feel depression because the feeling of not having someone with me. Just some answers and suggestions would be helpful.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:12 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,568 times
Same story for me, therapy didn't help. After a while I realized counseling was totally overrated and that talk isn't a good substitute for action. Something I did, I picked a new sport (because I was the worst in PE class as a kid) and started training for a totally different job and am planning to move to a totally different city in a year or so. Maybe a total change in life is something that works for some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships