U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 AM

11,733 posts, read 5,995,723 times
Default Guys leaving the toilet seat up?

Our fellow poster robertpolygoth has inspired me to start this thread.

So men, if you share bathroom with female(s), do you put the toilet seat up or don't see the need in bothering with doing that? If you do put it up, do you leave it up?

So women, do you think men should always put the toilet seat up? Do you think they should always put it down after they do their business?

Last edited by srjth; 04-23-2012 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 AM

12,419 posts, read 9,401,562 times
I think everyone should close the lid on the toilet before they flush, and be liberal with the use of the lysol wipes on the seat/handle when they're done. Nothing is grosser than a nasty toilet.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Status: "Ft. Knox/Louisville for the weekend." (set 3 days ago)

14,484 posts, read 16,171,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Our fellow poster robertpolygoth has inspired me to start this thread.

So men, do you put the toilet seat up or don't see the need in bothering with doing that? If you do, do you leave it up?

So women, do you think men should always put the toilet seat up? Do you think they should always put it down after they do their business?
I live by myself and probably leave the seat in whatever position I found it in or used it in (after flushing of course.)

Old 04-23-2012, 08:47 AM

5,074 posts, read 2,292,692 times
We do leave it up as we should. Putting it back down would be wasted energy. If the guy has to use it again, before a female (lets say we are watching a football game and having a few beers), then the man would have to put it back down and put it back up? Whats the point? WHy do all this extra work, when in fact the work should only be done when needed. Men just dislike doing illogical things. I dont think I will ever understand how this has become an issue for so many couples. Its not as if ladies, put the toilet seat up after they use it, just to be thoughtful of their men?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:49 AM

I edited the OP to state when males and females are sharing a bathroom.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 AM

24,047 posts, read 13,008,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
We do leave it up as we should. Putting it back down would be wasted energy. If the guy has to use it again, before a female (lets say we are watching a football game and having a few beers), then the man would have to put it back down and put it back up? Whats the point? WHy do all this extra work, when in fact the work should only be done when needed. Men just dislike doing illogical things. I dont think I will ever understand how this has become an issue for so many couples. Its not as if ladies, put the toilet seat up after they use it, just to be thoughtful of their men?

For starters, there's nothing worse than being a woman and getting up to go to the bathroom in the dark and then falling in the toilet. Second, men leaving it down doesn't seem to work because they end up dribbling all over it. However, I am in favor of a general rule that women should put it up when they are done and men should put it back down just to be considerate and fair. The only other reason the seat and lid must be closed is so the dogs don't use it as a drinking fountain.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
For starters, there's nothing worse than being a woman and getting up to go to the bathroom in the dark and then falling in the toilet.
*splash! behind immersed in cold water*

Old 04-23-2012, 08:53 AM

3,173 posts, read 3,373,719 times
When we got married, DH (longtime bachelor) left the seat up. I didn't complain; I just usually used a different bathroom. I did point out that it's good manners to put it down when we are guests at someone else's house and when we have guests at ours.

It was DH's cat's fascination with toilets that changed things. Once I pointed out that the cute little paw prints going down the hall were made from toilet water, DH learned to put down seat and lid.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:54 AM

27,419 posts, read 21,090,274 times
I have a very simple rule about toilets that is fair to everyone and involves the same amount of 'work' for everyone (if you consider moving a toilet seat lid up and down 'work').

Effin' put the whole seat and cover down after every use. Men and women. There is nothing grosser than seeing a toilet seat all open. You sure as hell shouldn't be flushing it like that.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:55 AM

5,074 posts, read 2,292,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
For starters, there's nothing worse than being a woman and getting up to go to the bathroom in the dark and then falling in the toilet. Second, men leaving it down doesn't seem to work because they end up dribbling all over it. However, I am in favor of a general rule that women should put it up when they are done and men should put it back down just to be considerate and fair. The only other reason the seat and lid must be closed is so the dogs don't use it as a drinking fountain.
Right. So since neither gender is doing their part, why is this an issue again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships