Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 07:53 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,621,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Heck, I wouldn't feel very good in Tess's shoes myself. Being good enough to F, but not good enough to marry is certainly a pretty bitter pill to swallow.
seems more like the man is a bum

"every week the exs mom drops him off", your fiance should pick his child up. not leave that burden on the mother.

raising a child is tough work and I couldn't trade my 2 jobs to raise a child instead (I'm saying 2 jobs are easier then raising 1 child).

and now add a job in there and his ex is going through hard times to raise that child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 08:29 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Invite her to be the Maid of Honor at the wedding. If you can't get the prize, 2nd place isn't bad. Ask her to watch the dog while you honeymoon.

Better yet, make it a 3some.

I sound like a guy now

Old 04-28-2012, 09:13 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,737,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If you can't make kid #1, don't marry. Kids trump wives.
I agree. If that's the way you live your life, great. But, my kids are a gift to the world, not just to my wife and I. I raise and prepare them for the day they leave our nest, and choose their own mates.

First of all, once children become adults, or move out, their parents will continue to live together for many years, afterwards. Furthermore, when kids grow up, many of them don't even have close relationships with their parents anymore. I don't love my children any less - but I'm closest to the one I sleep with. My kids are a result of my relationship - my relationship is not a result of my kids.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:17 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,737,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomlySpecific View Post
...this all started when SHE dropped off THIER son to OUR house
First of all, congratulation on your engagement.

With that said, I read your original post, which made no mention of a problem when Tess dropped off your step son. I believe the problem started when your fiance's grandmother informed you about Tess. You don't know how Tess really feels. You only know what she told you, i.e. congratulations. And, you don't know what grandma's true intentions were. But, I'm sure you know, the quickest way to get some bull*hit started, is to snitch on someone. Grandma should have stayed out of it. Period. But now, she's smack dab in the middle of it, because she's the one who delivered the news. You shouldn't change your feelings about Tess until SHE gives you a reason to. And, so far, I don't think she has. Talking behind someones back is (1) a sign of respect, and (2) the mark of a coward. If someone isn't afraid of you, they'll confront you in person, not behind your back. All you have to do is continue being the loving individual your fiance wants to marry. You have a lot to be proud of. Don't let anyone, I repeat ANYONE, take that away from you. Good luck.

Last edited by Just1Fan; 04-28-2012 at 09:29 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 01:48 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
So you're basically saying a man should marry a woman because he got her pregnant. No, it doesn't work like that no matter how much you want it to. His child isn't #1 because he's not marrying his baby mama? Help me understand this please. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Read much?
I actually said the opposite.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:18 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,853 times
Quote:
I'm trying to be sympathetic to how she feels.
My man proposed to me a month ago today. We shared the news with our family and friends but I guess we left someone out. When my Fiancé's baby mama, we'll call her Tess, dropped off their son (her mom has her son most the time and that's who normally drops him off) yesterday she noticed the ring on my finger and I shared the news with her. She said congratulations and didn't show any disdain towards hearing the news. Let me say that her and I are cordial, there's never been any drama, ever. I've always thought she was a sweet person. We've even hung out a few times.
This morning I get a call from my Fiancé's grandmother saying Tess called her very upset. She said that Tess was upset at the news of us getting married and felt that it was a slap in the face because she gave my Fiancé six years of her life and a son, how could he marry me after only three years. How could he marry someone who doesn't even want kids. My initial reaction was to call Tess and curse her the f*%# out but I remembered that I'm suppose to have compassion & empathy towards others (I've been meditating for the pass few weeks and I'm learning to be more positive). I told my Fiancé about this and he also reminded me of my reasons for meditation, he said that this is probably my first test, lol.
I'm struggling with it though. First off, I can't sympathize with any woman who thinks a man is suppose to marry them because they have a kid together, I never knew she felt this way. Secondly, how dare she imply that me not wanting kids is some flaw men should be repulsed by? I feel she got it backwards: men should be repulsed by women trying to trap them by having their child. They've been broken up for 4 years, she doesn't have a right to be upset. I WANT to be sympathetic but it's eluding me.
Any advice?
Yes, I have adivce as I was a jilted wife with a kid so I can tell you exactly how she is feeling. My first husband took off with a married woman who dumped her kids to be with him..nice! I was left alone with our son in East BumFu**ck Maine with no money, no heating oil, no food and it totally ticked me off. I didn't cry or throw a tantrum over this although I should have; I packed everything that wasn't nailed down, took my son and our dog and got "outta Dodge" and came home to CT. STILL through all this "stuff" I thought this loser was going to come to CT to get me and our son and tell me he was sorry. YAH, right! About 6 mos. later, he marries this woman who also doesn't want anymore kids..gee, do ya think she deserves anymore?

When a woman has a child with a man, there is always some sort of connection. Don't know what to call it but good or bad father, that connections is there. My ex never made an effort to come see his son, send him birthday gifts or even make a phone call and now, my son is grown..43 years old and he STILL wants an apology from his Dad for leaving us.

NO...don't call her up. You have committed yourself to this man who has a child and hopefully he is a good Dad. Having to see her or talk to her as the child's stepmom is going to be important to that childs well being so don't do something that will make you look bad in his eyes or your husbands. Stay calm and understand that you have bought into a package deal and let your husband be the Father that this child needs. I have seen first hand what happens when a man with a child listens to his new wife who doesn't want kids or any part of kids...you get a grown child who dislikes his Dad and wants no part of him..not a great thing to have happen.

Congratulations on your engagement and be ready to make it work with lots of love and patience.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:51 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
If access is an issue at all, it means baby momma isnt a random lay. If she were, grandma wouldnt be talking to her.

People here think a 65 year old woman is a doddering idiot I suppose. Trust me, they know what time it is better than all of you. Granda would fear access.only if he and baby momma were living as a family unit. I would bet they.were, and since he is close to Gma, baby momma is close to her.too.

Read between the lines, folks.
Doesn't matter what Grandma's status is, she needs to butt out. This is between the parents of the child. Outsider opinions only muddle things.

And it seems I'm in the minority in thinking that the father of the child is wrong in not having a closer talk with the child's mother about the change in his marital status. The woman he plans to marry is now going to have an official status with the child - stepmother. It would be wise to clear the air as to what role she will take in the child's life as far as discipline, responsibility and guidance. Has he considered the legality of his financial responsibilities to the child should something happened to him? In most states, the wife becomes the primary beneficiary for life insurance and there is a change in survivor allocation in property. With a legally bound relationship formed by a marriage, roles change no matter that people think they won't.

Skip all the emotional ra-ra of the child's mother finding out second hand. This sounds like a disorganized situation.

Last edited by silverwing; 04-29-2012 at 07:07 AM..

Old 04-29-2012, 08:54 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:

This morning I get a call from my Fiancé's grandmother saying Tess called her very upset. She said that Tess was upset at the news of us getting married and felt that it was a slap in the face because she gave my Fiancé six years of her life and a son, how could he marry me after only three years. How could he marry someone who doesn't even want kids. My initial reaction was to call Tess and curse her the f*%# out but I remembered that I'm suppose to have compassion & empathy towards others (I've been meditating for the pass few weeks and I'm learning to be more positive). I told my Fiancé about this and he also reminded me of my reasons for meditation, he said that this is probably my first test, lol.

I'm struggling with it though. First off, I can't sympathize with any woman who thinks a man is suppose to marry them because they have a kid together, I never knew she felt this way. Secondly, how dare she imply that me not wanting kids is some flaw men should be repulsed by? I feel she got it backwards: men should be repulsed by women trying to trap them by having their child. They've been broken up for 4 years, she doesn't have a right to be upset. I WANT to be sympathetic but it's eluding me.

Any advice?

x2. Get over it. Why the heck do you want to curse her out? Don't be ridiculous. She's upset, understandably. Just leave the whole damn situation alone. Geesh... grow the heck up. By the way, she couldn't have "trapped" him (another x2) without HIS help. Remember that. This'll pass, so stop acting all offended and like you have to pee on him to mark him as yours. Geesh...

And "baby mama." ANOTHER x2

Old 04-29-2012, 04:26 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Frankly i think the op's fiance is a loser.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:30 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Just ignore all that, they'll come to terms with it. Don't take the aunts calls anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships