Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Men: Would you date a woman who majored/minored in Feminist or Women's Studies?
Yes, no problem 15 41.67%
Eh, depends on whether or not she is attractive 5 13.89%
Nah, don't think I need the hassles 3 8.33%
No, and how fast can I run? 12 33.33%
Other - explain 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:11 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,139,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The supply has gotten larger because many men have "caved in" to political correctness and to the blurring of gender roles.
There's no reason to buy into that. Or, at least, not from my perspective.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,371,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
That gets back to my point earlier. Obviously, it's male feminists who are getting together with female feminists. And there's no short supply of male feminists.
True. One of my dearest friends was actually a women's studies and theatre arts double major. Not gay. Married to a great woman for coming up on a decade, now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot
The supply has gotten larger because many men have "caved in" to political correctness and to the blurring of gender roles.
According to your idea of "unblurred gender roles," I should never have to work another day in my life, because my man should be bringing home the bacon while I do nothing but look good in a floral apron and have his martinis at the ready, maybe pop out a few kids if that's what he desires. 'Bout right?

Old 04-28-2012, 08:15 PM

102,096 posts, read 107,215,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
my man should be bringing home the bacon while I do nothing but look good in a floral apron and have his martinis at the ready, maybe pop out a few kids if that's what he desires. 'Bout right?

BO-ring!

Old 04-28-2012, 08:23 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,121,220 times
Quote:
No. I discuss these things with others who observe them, as in "Did you see that Subaru with that bumper sticker? Is she kidding, or what?"

Yeah, via a sperm bank, or are they are "desired" by a "male feminist"...a concept already discussed on here.

Betty Friedan (1921 -2006) was a leading figure in the women's movement. Her book, "The Feminine Mystique," is often cited as the impetus for the second wave of feminism. It started as a simple survey of classmates for a 15th year reunion. She orginally intended to write an article, not a book, with her findings, but no magazine would publish it. It was published as 'one of the most controversial books' of its time. Friedan was elected the first president of NOW, organized the Nationwide Women's Strike for equality and attracted over 50,000 women and men to the march in New York City alone. Friedan also established the National Political Women's Caucus.

Regarded as an influential author and intellectual in the United States, Friedan remained active in politics and advocacy for the rest of her life, authoring six books. As early as the 1960s Friedan was critical of polarized /and extreme factions of feminism that attacked groups such as men and homemakers. One of her later books, The Second Stage, critiqued what Friedan saw as the extremist excesses of some feminists who could be broadly classified as "gender feminists."

In 1947, Betty married Carl Friedan. Breaking from the then established role for married women, she chose to continue her freelance writing while raising the couple's three children. After Carl established his own advertising agency they moved to Rockland County, New York, and Betty took up the life of a then typical suburban housewife.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:24 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,289,915 times
Quote:
According to your idea of "unblurred gender roles," I should never have to work another day in my life, because my man should be bringing home the bacon while I do nothing but look good in a floral apron and have his martinis at the ready, maybe pop out a few kids if that's what he desires. 'Bout right?
No, unless that's what you want to read into it. Society still adheres to traditional roles, for the most part, though people pay lip service to being "progressive." People who deviate from this "standard" limit the pool that is available to them. Kudos to your women's studies/T.A. male friend. He found a wife. Most women would be categorically disinterested in him. There's no denying that.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:25 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,567,034 times
Quote:
True. One of my dearest friends was actually a women's studies and theatre arts double major. Not gay. Married to a great woman for coming up on a decade, now.

These same guys that want 'unblurred gender roles' are usually the ones going on and on about gold digging women and moochers. So, which do they want? An independent woman who forges her own path and supports herself, or a woman who sits in her living room waiting for a man to come and take care of her for the rest of her life?

Old 04-28-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
In 1947, Betty married Carl Friedan. Breaking from the then established role for married women, she chose to continue her freelance writing while raising the couple's three children. After Carl established his own advertising agency they moved to Rockland County, New York, and Betty took up the life of a then typical suburban housewife.
So, in the end, the "quest" was tiring and she turned into Betty Crocker.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:27 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,139,479 times
Quote:
No, unless that's what you want to read into it. Society still adheres to traditional roles, for the most part, though people pay lip service to being "progressive." People who deviate from this "standard" limit the pool that is available to them. Kudos to your women's studies/T.A. male friend. He found a wife. Most women would be categorically disinterested in him. There's no denying that.
Do we not all do that in one way or another? You do that yourself to the extreme. You claim to be very picky. So, why is it an issue if others are just as picky, but with their own tastes?

Old 04-28-2012, 08:27 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,121,220 times
Quote:
So, in the end, the "quest" was tiring and she turned into Betty Crocker.
That's not what it says at all. You might want to read slower.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
These same guys that want 'unblurred gender roles' are usually the ones going on and on about gold digging women and moochers. So, which do they want? An independent woman who forges her own path and supports herself, or a woman who sits in her living room waiting for a man to come and take care of her for the rest of her life?
Well, I was wondering the same thing. You have the adage "it's just as easy to fall in love with a rich man as it is with a poor man" and then you have women on here who say they will "date and marry a man with an incurable STD." Isn't that pretty darn inconsistent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships