U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:47 PM

1,466 posts, read 2,308,864 times
Default Buddiing Love... How much does hearing "I love you" really matter?

Lets say X months have passed (whatever your theory/thought/experience on how long it takes for the I love yous to start) and you still have heard those three words from your main squeeze.... but he/she treats you better than anyone has ever treated you and for all reasonable purposes you feel loved and important and all the other stuff.

Would not hearing I love you mean much to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 01:53 PM

63 posts, read 64,421 times
Showing through actions means more than telling with words.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:58 PM

6,106 posts, read 3,838,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Lets say X months have passed (whatever your theory/thought/experience on how long it takes for the I love yous to start) and you still have heard those three words from your main squeeze.... but he/she treats you better than anyone has ever treated you and for all reasonable purposes you feel loved and important and all the other stuff.

Do you know the song "More Than Words" by Extreme? My husband and I don't say "I love you" every 2 minutes. We don't even say it every day. We know by each other's actions. The way we look at each other, etc. To me they are just words but when the words aren't backed by the actions then those words are just meaningless.

Saying I love you
Is not the words I want to hear from you
It's not that I want you
Not to say, but if you only knew
How easy it would be to show me how you feel
More than words is all you have to do to make it real
Then you wouldn't have to say that you love me
'Cause I'd already know

What would you do if my heart was torn in two
More than words to show you feel
That your love for me is real
What would you say if I took those words away
Then you couldn't make things new
Just by saying I love you

More than words

Now that I've tried to talk to you and make you understand
All you have to do is close your eyes
And just reach out your hands and touch me
Hold me close don't ever let me go
More than words is all I ever needed you to show
Then you wouldn't have to say that you love me
'Cause I'd already know

What would you do if my heart was torn in two
More than words to show you feel
That your love for me is real
What would you say if I took those words away
Then you couldn't make things new
Just by saying I love you

Old 04-30-2012, 02:03 PM

12,299 posts, read 6,703,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post

The other stuff is more important but I'd want to hear it too. It would just feel abnormal to me not to.

And by the way, the OP makes it seem like it's never been said, rather than rarely said.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:07 PM

20,677 posts, read 21,463,608 times
On very special occasions, yes. It means much more if said less often.
I don't need to hear it every few minutes to feel secure and loved. Action counts more.

The word "love" lost the meaning anyway. Now, everything is "I love ... this" I love ... that". People tend to use the word just the same as any other. To bad that the English language has only one word for love, and we can't express our feeling with other words, because there are so many different meanings of "love": brotherly love, maternal love, paternal love, sibling love, sexual love, love for pets, love for a particular food, love of God, love of nature, love of a sunset, love of the ocean... etc.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:35 PM

425 posts, read 184,565 times
well i must be different... i always say i love u after making love. Not sure how she would feel if i said that was great i really like u.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:37 PM

12,299 posts, read 6,703,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernRXMan View Post
well i must be different... i always say i love u after making love. Not sure how she would feel if i said that was great i really like u.
No you're good.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:45 PM

1,354 posts, read 934,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernRXMan View Post

LOL! I think the latter would be more truthful.

Sorry folks -- the "I love you" is over-used and tossed out too casually to to have any meaning anymore. Almost like "have a nice day"

Old 04-30-2012, 02:48 PM

2,089 posts, read 2,109,171 times
To me, it is a four letter word that causes more emotional unrest than any other word in language itself...and..it means nothing. Actions, not words.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:55 PM

11,001 posts, read 6,825,636 times
I would wonder why he would never say it at least once. Usually when a person is so in love with someone, they want to scream it on top of a mountain. So it would make me wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships