Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:22 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,357,454 times

Advertisements

Why is it that people seem to want to defend their bad choices? Why acknowledge that you have done a bad thing yet still defend that thing in the same breath?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,913,470 times
I just never acknowledge when I've done anything wrong- so I don't have to defend it-

life is easier that way.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:42 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,681,648 times
That is the definition of dysfunctional or someone dealing with an addiction.

Its a mental process where they can cross the line and drop the defense if they remove ego and think about the behavior critically and the full impact it has. It can be impossible for some if they lack the ability to engage in an empathetic mind set. At that dysfunctional stage your body can never feel extreme pain/shame or joy/pleasure. So its sort of like a cycle that perpetuates itself because its natural to avoid pain and gravitate towards pleasure. You have to feel pain first to break the trap of that way of thinking. Most all people will avoid that as long as they can get away with it.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:43 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,474,702 times
You don't always know you've made a bad choice until after the fact.

Its possible to acknowledge something as having been a wrong choice, while seemingly defending the choice as an explanation of why the choice was made at the time.

Depends on what you're defending....

Old 05-01-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
That is the definition of dysfunctional or someone dealing with an addiction.

Its a mental process where they can cross the line and drop the defense if they remove ego and think about the behavior critically and the full impact it has. It can be impossible for some if they lack the ability to engage in an empathetic mind set. At that dysfunctional stage your body can never feel extreme pain/shame or joy/pleasure. So its sort of like a cycle that perpetuates itself because its natural to avoid pain and gravitate towards pleasure. You have to feel pain first to break the trap of that way of thinking. Most all people will avoid that as long as they can get away with it.
Awesome explanation. Thanks. I am just super frustrated today with the flack I seem to get on here. I try and hold folks to a higher standard. No one wants that.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:44 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,427,587 times
It's not always defending it so much as explaining where they are coming from, or were at the time. Sometimes it's asking for compassion. For example, "I'm sorry I lied, I was just so scared to tell you the truth" if said while apologizing for the lying, isn't defending it so much as just letting the person know what was going through their head that led to the lie. If they are apologizing though, they're inherently not defending their behavior because apology requires taking a stance of vulnerability, and admitting you're wrong--two things that being defensive don't leave room for.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
You don't always know you've made a bad choice until after the fact.

Its possible to acknowledge something as having been a wrong choice, while seemingly defending the choice as an explanation of why the choice was made at the time.
Exactly! Someone just did that with me today. "I was wrong, but...." Just admit it and stop defending it! Grrrr.....

Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,474,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Exactly! Someone just did that with me today. "I was wrong, but...." Just admit it and stop defending it! Grrrr.....

Its human nature not to admit you're wrong.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:50 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,427,587 times
Sometimes they're not defending it though, redvelvet, but just trying to explain why they were doing that so that you can understand better. Yesterday I got mad at my friend for not signing and voicing at the same time when she was hanging out with me (I'm blind) and another friend (who's deaf). She explained that she couldn't do both at the same time, which hadn't occurred to me because I sign and voice simultaneously all the time. But she ended with saying she will try to accommodate both of us in the future by voicing for me and signing for our deaf friend. Maybe by your definition that's defending her behavior, but she did apologize, and said she would work on improving, so I don't see it as a defense. If there was no apology and no willingness to change that behavior, then I would. I think you have to see the reasoning in context before you can tell if it's being defensive.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
It's not always defending it so much as explaining where they are coming from, or were at the time. Sometimes it's asking for compassion. For example, "I'm sorry I lied, I was just so scared to tell you the truth" if said while apologizing for the lying, isn't defending it so much as just letting the person know what was going through their head that led to the lie. If they are apologizing though, they're inherently not defending their behavior because apology requires taking a stance of vulnerability, and admitting you're wrong--two things that being defensive don't leave room for.
well, I see your point. But still, where is the accountability regarding discernment to begin with? Why lie at all? Why not just communicate in the beginning?
I never do that, so I still find it hard to try and put myself in that place to understand it in others.
I guess I am hyper-aware of my own feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships