U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:35 PM

28,906 posts, read 42,454,950 times

Advertisements

Here's my Shangri-la.

Beach.
Year-round warm weather. The older I get, the more I despise cold weather.
A decent library or book store.
Good internet connections.
Friendly locals.
Relatively low cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 01:36 PM

5,247 posts, read 7,677,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I want a beach shack. Jungle is optional.
I'll take the beach shack too! I can dive and fish all day!

I forgot to mention mountainous. I like to hike in the mountain jungles with my cutlass. I also like seeing monkeys in the trees for some reason (but not the kind that attack - the cute ones like Spider monkeys!). I do not want an island overrun with snakes. I'm good with lizards though. I also require a waterfall in the jungle. I prefer English or French-speaking islands which I am fluent in. I don't speak much Spanish. Am I asking too much?

Costa Rica is great even though it's not an island. LOVE that Osa peninsula! One of the best trips I ever took about 15 years ago - hopefully they have not over developed that area. It was an undisturbed jungle at the time.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 05-03-2012 at 01:55 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 02:04 PM

42,837 posts, read 73,708,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's my Shangri-la.

Beach.
Year-round warm weather. The older I get, the more I despise cold weather.
A decent library or book store.
Good internet connections.
Friendly locals.
Relatively low cost of living.
That's my list, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I'll take the beach shack too! I can dive and fish all day!

I forgot to mention mountainous. I like to hike in the mountain jungles with my cutlass. I also like seeing monkeys in the trees for some reason (but not the kind that attack - the cute ones like Spider monkeys!). I do not want an island overrun with snakes. I'm good with lizards though. I also require a waterfall in the jungle. I prefer English or French-speaking islands which I am fluent in. I don't speak much Spanish. Am I asking too much?
You know you should be careful what you wish for, right?! Last time I went on vacation to Mexico I booked this resort - https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...KKaQiQKN57GSDQ - because the beach is supposedly among the top 10 in the world and the resort is right in the jungle. Yes, the beach was absolutely gorgeous, but after the "lovely" birds in the jungle woke me up before dawn for a couple of days, I opted for moving to their sister property, which didn't have as nice of a beach, but it had some peace!

Old 05-03-2012, 02:28 PM

5,247 posts, read 7,677,865 times
Quote:
That's my list, too!

You know you should be careful what you wish for, right?! Last time I went on vacation to Mexico I booked this resort - https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...KKaQiQKN57GSDQ - because the beach is supposedly among the top 10 in the world and the resort is right in the jungle. Yes, the beach was absolutely gorgeous, but after the "lovely" birds in the jungle woke me up before dawn for a couple of days, I opted for moving to their sister property, which didn't have as nice of a beach, but it had some peace!
LOL... I'm weird because I like the jungle and all its sounds (pigeons on a Chicago windowsill are more annoying to me). I lived with my parents in a tropical jungle with loud birds, monkeys in the trees. I have lived with lizards, Madegascar hissing cockroaches, and agoutis sneaking into the house. I don't mind unknown noise sources and creepy crawlies. This is why I also loved being in the middle of the Osa peninsula as long as I had a good mosquito net and access to food/fresh water.

The only things that somewhat worry me are hurricanes, lack of emergency medical care, stepping on a fire ant mound when hiking, inadvertently touching fire coral while diving (hurts like hell), poisonous dart frogs, some aggressive sharks, certain snakes, inavailability of fresh water.

I can live many months without indoor plumbing, electricity, phone, internet, going to a supply store, etc. as I've happily done it before.

p.s. I apologize for repeatedly misspelling "Shangri-la." Don't know why I do that!

Old 05-03-2012, 03:22 PM

16,439 posts, read 11,921,166 times
Quote:
I want a beach shack. Jungle is optional.
Snakes, Roaches, bugs, seaguls, Hurricanes. Done that before. I can handle any of those for a short period of time, but would want to run back to a modern condo for a good nights sleep!

Ive been to the Bahamas, PR, Aruba and all over Mexico. PR has almost everything the mainland has and I love the Bahamas but I'm not sure what 2k a month would get you. Maybe Jamaica? Is it less expensive than the Bahamas? A room mate would make sense.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:08 PM

42,837 posts, read 73,708,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Snakes, Roaches, bugs, seaguls, Hurricanes. Done that before. I can handle any of those for a short period of time, but would want to run back to a modern condo for a good nights sleep!
I said a “shack” figuratively. As cute as they are and as much as I like romantic-looking open-air houses (there are actually some very fancy houses like that), I also prefer walls and other creature comforts. Yeah, hurricanes are not my thing, either.

Once I saw Yelapa, South of Puerto Vallarta, and later was thinking of going there for vacation. This place got electricity not too long ago. The thing is I saw it while on a booze cruise out of PV, but otherwise it’s only accessible by a water taxi, and God knows I’m not getting on one…

This is very neat in theory, but not so much in practice…

http://www.[blocked due to copyright reasons].com/north-...rana-rooms.jpg

Quote:
Ive been to the Bahamas, PR, Aruba and all over Mexico. PR has almost everything the mainland has and I love the Bahamas but I'm not sure what 2k a month would get you. Maybe Jamaica? Is it less expensive than the Bahamas? A room mate would make sense.
I haven’t been to the Caribbean myself because the flights are horribly inconvenient out of here. I’d like to go once, but only to an island that was a former European colony and has more interesting culture and architecture. If I am to just bum around on the beach, the beaches South of Cancun are the same and it’s a lot easier to get there. I’ve no desire to ever go to Aruba. I’ve seen enough cacti to last me a few lifetimes.

Jamaica is crime-ridden… Actually, there are still many unspoiled and cheap places along the coasts of Mexico – it’s a huge country. Unfortunately, many of them are in areas that are no longer safe. Also, development will reach them eventually. As you may know, it has already moved South of Tulum on Riviera Maya. These places are still not easily accessible, but once they are, the prices will shoot up.

I really envy you if you can afford to hang it up!

Old 05-03-2012, 05:03 PM

37,394 posts, read 34,575,343 times
I'm at a weird place in my life.... possible midlife crisis, I don't know, but I would just love to cash in the chips and just GET THE F out of dodge.

I've been in the same work/ industry for 22 yrs now. I'm bored of it, sick of the rat race, pretty much burnt out.

I would love to just cash it all in........

Don't know how practical it would be, I do like to have a roof over my head and some food.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm at a weird place in my life.... possible midlife crisis, I don't know, but I would just love to cash in the chips and just GET THE F out of dodge.

I've been in the same work/ industry for 22 yrs now. I'm bored of it, sick of the rat race, pretty much burnt out.

I would love to just cash it all in........

Don't know how practical it would be, I do like to have a roof over my head and some food.

Dude, cash it in. The Bahamas are calling. We as Americans work too hard and I don't think it's getting any easier!

Old 05-03-2012, 05:17 PM

28,906 posts, read 42,454,950 times
I have a colleague and good friend who is doing this very thing right now.

He is forty and an uber-talented web designer. For the past eight years, he has been there for his father through one of the most grueling cases of cancer ever. It just went on and on forever.

Finally the father died which, odd as this may sound, was a relief. My friend, over lunch, posed a question to me a few months ago. He and his wife had vacationed on an island in the Bahamas. They loved it so much, they thought about moving their along with their two young boys.

"Am I crazy?" he asked.
"Hell no. When else will you have this opportunity?" I shot back.

So, once a week, he'd call me with another "Am I crazy doing this?" question. Every single time, I told him, "No. What do you really have to lose? You can do web design work from anywhere."

They sold their house above their asking price a few weeks ago. They held a mammoth garage sale. They are renting a nice house for a year, fully furnished. The only thing they're taking are suitcases of clothes and a few personal effects.

If it doesn't work out? They'll just hop on the boat, come back to the states and start working again.

I cannot wait to hear how they're doing. And, because he does web work for me from time to time, I now have a valid business excuse to fly down to the Bahamas for a few days.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
They are renting a nice house for a year,
Did he say how much the rent is. Fully furnished, yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships