U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-01-2012, 12:05 PM

8,788 posts, read 4,245,148 times
Default Cashing it all in, Running off to Shangrala?

I was on an online dating site recently and the womans post I was looking at said she wanted to escape to an Island with her new found man. While, I am a practical man the escape from the rat race scenario sounds very desirable. Is it even practical? Is there even a place you could go for 2k a month per person without slumming it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 12:11 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,363,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I was on an online dating site recently and the womans post I was looking at said she wanted to escape to an Island with her new found man. While, I am a practical man the escape from the rat race scenario sounds very desirable. Is it even practical? Is there even a place you could go for 2k a month per person without slumming it?
Well, if you have 2K a month without having to work, there are places where it's enough. I remember reading an article once pitying somebody who died at the age of 65 living like a bum at the end because he ran out of money. However, he stopped working at 45 and enjoyed 20 blissful years! How many of us can say that?! I'd rather live for 20 years than exist for 60! Or 80! Or 100!

I'd like to say more on the subject, but I can't without revealing some stuff. All I'll say is: whoever can do it, more power to them!

Old 05-01-2012, 12:24 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,363,796 times
Forgot to mention: just 6 years ago I exchanged a paid-off roof somewhere else for an underwater Lego shack here! That turned out to be the most idiotic move ever, but who woulda thunk...

Old 05-01-2012, 12:47 PM

1,336 posts, read 876,797 times
Quote:

If she's got the 2k a month, then why worry where the place is? Just get started packing your bags . . .

Old 05-01-2012, 12:48 PM

2,026 posts, read 1,760,859 times
US$2000/month?

yeah, plenty of places you can live very well on that kind of money. can get a nice condo in a new high rise development, eat out every day, party every night, etc in most places in the world on that budget

Old 05-01-2012, 12:48 PM

4,014 posts, read 4,150,312 times
Quote:
Yes, there are places where you can live that way. I know people who farm and fish for their food, live in cheap island villas, and are perfectly content. People who dropped out of the rat race.

I have always been on the verge of doing this as I lived this way in the Caribbean for a few years and have simple tastes. I would have no problem farming, fishing, hiking, painting, reading, writing, and scuba diving for the rest of my life if I could.

My good friend, a DR., did this. He did work for awhile to build up a minimal savings and then retired before 40 to my caribbean island (don't want to say which one - it's an undiscovered jewel). There were quite a few people on my tiny island like that. People who left the rat race to live on a sailboat or open an art studio - very bohemian.

There are also lots of people who would go crazy living like that. You really need to have the right temperament for it. It helps if you are laid-back, very self-sufficient, can handle nature and its critters (like lizards and/or hissing cockroaches under your bed) and can live on "island time."

It can take months for mail/containers to arrive or for the island electric co. to fix the power (if you even have power - some use generators or go without it). I have been marooned on some islands and have had to convince (bribe) seaplane pilots/boat captains so I could travel that week (money and home cooked meals help). The govt. on these islands often operate at a snail's pace as the officials are often part-time spread across multiple islands. So if you have a legal matter, it may take 6 months for the solicitor to make it back to your island. It is a very different way of living.

I have lived in places with no power, no phone, no internet, and only outhouses with creepy crawlies all over the place. I think relatively few women can rough it like that. But for $2000 a month, you could live like a king on some of these islands. You just need to find the right island.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 05-01-2012 at 12:57 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 12:51 PM

11,996 posts, read 11,383,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
If she's got the 2k a month, then why worry where the place is? Just get started packing your bags . . .
If something seems to good to be true it probably is.

Last edited by virgode; 05-01-2012 at 01:06 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 12:51 PM

1,336 posts, read 876,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
If something seems to good to true it probably is.

Someday my prince will come . . . .

Old 05-01-2012, 12:52 PM

16,623 posts, read 12,978,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Forgot to mention: just 6 years ago I exchanged a paid-off roof somewhere else for an underwater Lego shack here! That turned out to be the most idiotic move ever, but who woulda thunk...
bad timing

Old 05-01-2012, 12:56 PM

2,026 posts, read 1,760,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Yes, there are places where you can live that way. I know people who farm and fish for their food, live in cheap island villas, and are perfectly content. People who dropped out of the rat race.

I have always been on the verge of doing this as I lived this way in the Caribbean for a few years and have simple tastes. I would have no problem farming, fishing, hiking, painting, reading, writing, and scuba diving for the rest of my life if I could.

My good friend, a DR., did this. He did work for awhile to build up a minimal savings and then retired before 40 to my caribbean island (don't want to say which one - it's an undiscovered jewel). There were quite a few people on my tiny island like that. People who left the rat race to live on a sailboat or open an art studio - very bohemian.

There are also lots of people who would go crazy living like that. You really need to have the right temperament for it. It helps if you are laid-back, very self-sufficient, can handle nature and its critters (like lizards and/or hissing cockroaches under your bed) and live on "island time."

It can take months for mail/containers to arrive or for the island electric co. to fix the power (if you even have power - some use generators or go without it) or for a pilot to decide he's ready to travel. I have been marooned on some islands and have had to convince seaplane pilots/boat captains that they should travel that week (money and home cooked meals help). The govt. on these islands often operate at a snail's pace as the officials are often part-time spread across multiple islands. So if you have a legal matter, it may take you 6 months for the solicitor to make it back to your island. It is a very different way of living.

I have lived in places with no power, no phone, no internet, and only outhouses with creepy crawlies all over the place. I think relatively few women can rough it like that. But for $2000 a month, you could live like a king on some of these islands. You just need to find the right island.
i tried that once. got a bungalow on a secluded beach on a remote island. was bored out of my mind after a week. didn't even last a month before i had to retreat back to bangkok. i need the big city. but even living in a big city in a foreign country can be an escape from the rat race. living on the beach woulda been a lot cheaper tho. its not as expensive as some seem to think. if i couldve handled it my budget would have been well below US$500/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships