Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 07:59 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,920 times

Advertisements

I get turned off if the guy doesn't pay for the first few dates, even if it is just a run at the coffee shop. But after date number three, then 50/50.

I know. Anti-feminist. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Relationships have always been a two way street even before women started earning their own income. Why is paying for the date the only indication of gratitude? A women may buy a top she thinks her man would look good in, make him food, etc. There are plenty of women who earned their keep in their relationships, even if they've never paid for a date, and their men never expected that of them. There are more aspects of a relationship than being hung up on how much/how often a women pays for dates.

You might not directly indicate your displeasure, but some girls (even decent ones) may suspect you weren't sincere when you paid for the first few dates, if they notice you start expecting them to pay (, even if they're repaying you in ways that may not involve money). These women may consider your idea of "generosity" (i.e. paying for the first few dates) as "conditional," and decide they don't want to continue dating someone so hung up on if how much they pay for dates (especially if you asked them out, and they didn't demand that).

It seems you want a more independent women, which is fine; but women shouldn't always be painted with the same brush as gold diggers if they don't have the same standards you have. There are still men who don't care about these things, who are a better match for them, as there are women that meet your standards.
I don't see what is so unreasonable about asking her to contribute once or twice...I'm fine paying 90%, heck even 99% of the time. I just need to see some assuarance from her that she is invested in this too and isn't so "traditional" as to think men should always pay for everything. I understand women contribute to relationships outside of money and thus men are expected to contribute more financially, but I don't believe in one way financial streets. I don't care if the split is 90/10 or 50/50, but I need to see something coming from the other direction.

Im judging her attitude about paying, not the amount she pays.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:19 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
My male friends explain it to me like this -

Men like women.

Women have what men want.

Men will pay to get what they want.

If a woman doesn't want to give up what a man wants, then she should not accept the invitation in the first place.

But that's us Australians. You Americans with your dating styles and your chastity vows take the confusion to an ENTIRELY different level which I for one cannot fathom. Men and women getting together should be SO EASY, it's the most natural thing in the world...but for some reason it's got so complicated there that there are ENTIRE FORUMS devoted to trying to interpret what the other person needs/wants/expects.
It's not "Americans". It's a few confused disgruntled people that find their way to online forums to rant.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:27 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I suppose. 20 questions before the pants come off, go!
I'm going to try this if a guy asks me out again. I'm probably guaranteed to be labeled crazy, but no problem.

Honestly, I never knew it was a crime to still want to be treated like a lady by a gentleman. Sad days.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:28 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It's not "Americans". It's a few confused disgruntled people that find their way to online forums to rant.

Then there is the "If she doesn't put out by the Xth date we are done", so there are more of the "I can't keep a woman, I'm giving up" threads.

Most of what "a man can give a woman" she can do better herself.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:33 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post

Most of what "a man can give a woman" she can do better herself.
Not really.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:38 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
I've always been willing to pay for a date if I ask her out and she accepts. If she calls me up and asks me out, she pays. I've never kept track of who should be paying, I just enjoy her company and let it go at that. If she feels she owes me, that is her problem, I never do anything to make her feel that way. I like to think it is a two way street.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:41 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I'm going to try this if a guy asks me out again. I'm probably guaranteed to be labeled crazy, but no problem.

Honestly, I never knew it was a crime to still want to be treated like a lady by a gentleman. Sad days.
You're only treated as well as how good you are in the boudoire!

Crotchety old fogeys like myself don't get down in this culture!

Old 07-17-2012, 08:45 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not really.
I was making a funny .. hence the

Old 07-17-2012, 08:50 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I don't see what is so unreasonable about asking her to contribute once or twice...I'm fine paying 90%, heck even 99% of the time. I just need to see some assuarance from her that she is invested in this too and isn't so "traditional" as to think men should always pay for everything. I understand women contribute to relationships outside of money and thus men are expected to contribute more financially, but I don't believe in one way financial streets. I don't care if the split is 90/10 or 50/50, but I need to see something coming from the other direction.

Im judging her attitude about paying, not the amount she pays.
I don't think we're both talking about just dating, but I am.

If the financial aspect is that important to you, then

a) don't take them out (it's not as if you're forced to)

b) Stick with independent, non traditional women; Then she won't judge your attitude you have toward the attitude of women when asked to pay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships