Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:45 AM

460 posts, read 671,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
I said typically which would refer to the stereotyping I admitted to.

I guess we know intelligence is lacking and you're one who matches the stereotype.

You shoud process what you read first before you comment.
Using the word "typically" doesn't absolve you from the fact that you are lumping most women into one group.

Honestly, I don't care if you think I'm intelligent or not. I'm happy and successful with my relationships. You, on the other hand, appear to be bitter and alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 08:45 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,292,857 times
Quote:
Yet you've done nothing but attack and insult my point of view. Is my point of view not valid simply because you disagree? Are my arguments not clear? They derive from my own personal experiences, I assure you I'm not just making things up to get a rise out of anyone.

I have to ask this question: Are you looking for someone who can agree with you in intelligent conversation or are you truly looking for someone who can provide differentiating viewpoints? I'm not puting words in your mouth about one way or the other, but I get the feeling you're looking for the former.
People are never going to have the same opinions as me (you), so of course there will be things you disagree on, but someone who can agree or disagree with your point of view and have the intelligence to back it up, is what I'm looking for. Not someone to flat out argue with and not someone who's like talking to brick wall.

BTW my post said nothing to attack you. Your blanketed opinion on why women want an intelligent man just isn't valid for most of the educated/intelligent female population.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:52 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,377,920 times
This will vary from woman to woman but a few huge attributes stand out:

1. They should have stable employment and work
2. He should be your best friend, have lots in common
3. He should be kind, compassionate and not have significant anger issues

There are many others which vary from woman to woman. Education, intelligence, loving animals and a great sense of humor were "must haves" for me, but many women would be perfectly happy with a nice man with only had a 6th grade education.

Take it from someone who has been married 20 years: if you can't laugh with your BF, DON'T marry him. A sense of humor is an integreal component of a marriage. And if you can't spend hours talking together, think twice before marrying.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:55 AM

865 posts, read 1,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Really too many to list....just make sure he likes kids, dogs, cats, and chaos. I think the most important issue...is no anger management problems and an ability to communicate effectively.
I agree on the pets part - was a huge dealbreaker for me for a long term relationship/husband material. I always thought, what kind of person doesn't like animals??

Trusted my instincts, and fast-forward years later I am now married with 7 pet birds (and a bunch of eggs ready to hatch anyday).

Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 AM

5,654 posts, read 5,146,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Take it from someone who has been married 20 years: if you can't laugh with your BF, DON'T marry him.
Yep!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,304,896 times
Yep. If you don't like kids and pets...forget it.

What is interesting is what you think is important at age 25 compared with someone age 55. The answers are completely different. We should put our age on these answers...and the young ones may want to carefully consider the answers from us older gals...who have been married...and know the qualities of the "keepers".

Old 05-03-2012, 09:07 AM

674 posts, read 1,160,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southshorelady View Post
Using the word "typically" doesn't absolve you from the fact that you are lumping most women into one group.

Honestly, I don't care if you think I'm intelligent or not. I'm happy and successful with my relationships. You, on the other hand, appear to be bitter and alone.
Oh, again with the attacking. Making attacks doesn't make you sound intelligent nor does it back up your arguments.

I'm glad you're happy with your relationships, I hope that is really true. However, just because I've been burned doesn't make me less successful or less intelligent as you. I won't lie, I'm a little jaded, but it's based on personal experience. Are you able to say you've never had a hard time with something that didn't go well for you and you didn't have a slightly negative attitude about it?

I don't think of relationships or having someone as a measurement of life success, and it's sad if you believe that as it sounds like that is what you're implying. Who's to say that those negative experiences in my past will only allow me to really appreciate a great woman if/when I do find her? Who's to say that I didn't dodge some bullets with the women in my past and could have made a serious mistake like marrying them which would only lead to more unhappiness and/or divorce?

You really don't know anything regarding someone else's experiences and I doubt you're really as happy as you say or you wouldn't be here. Otherwise it's safe to say you're just a narcissist who enjoys harassing and judging other people's misfortunes.

I'd rather be in my place today than your place at any point in my life. I would consider your mindset a failure.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:13 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,094,741 times
Hmm, good question! I always say I don't ask for much, but when I really think about it I guess I do have quite a few things on my list to consider someone husband material!

- We have good physical chemistry
- He likes animals and kids, wants a family
- He's honest and a good communicator
- Good sense of humor, no anger issues
- I feel like this one is most important and has been the thing I've never been able to find - I want a guy who loves me and thinks I'm fantastic, but I don't want to be treated like a princess either. I want a guy who respects me, but isn't afraid to disagree with me or tell me when I'm being a pain in the butt. I always feel disgusted when I see men following around a woman like he's her little puppy to do whatever she says. I want a guy that is caring and kind, but isn't a push over. One who wants to spend time with me and makes me feel imporant and a priority, but has his own interests and friends as well. It's difficult to find a balance between someone who smothers you and someone who doesn't pay attention to you except when it suits them.

Maybe this is why I'm single!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:14 AM

5,749 posts, read 10,361,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You sound (and I'm sure you're joking?) like a lot of women out here who have requirements like this and then wonder why they can't find a husband.
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
i think this was a joke, at least i hope it was... the funniest part is that some women are actually like this and then think they can just be themselves and demand a guy have all these requirements and dont realize the guy is probably looking for the best and hottest young girl available.
Yes, I realize my sarcasm/humor does not always come across... So I'll be more specific.

I only have two requirements on my list: Mutual, Unconditional Love and Mutual Happiness. That's about it. I accept imperfections as I have many.

I could care less about educational level, job, hobbies, pets, political views, looks, wealth, height, eye color, etc... I'm sure many find this hard to believe, but I know myself. I don't care if I'm rich or poor. I can live in a hut (did that) or a mansion (did that too) as long as I'm with the man who I love and we are both happy. That is the person I want by my side for the journey.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:14 AM

460 posts, read 671,096 times
Quote:
Oh, again with the attacking. Making attacks doesn't make you sound intelligent nor does it back up your arguments.

I'm glad you're happy with your relationships, I hope that is really true. However, just because I've been burned doesn't make me less successful or less intelligent as you. I won't lie, I'm a little jaded, but it's based on personal experience. Are you able to say you've never had a hard time with something that didn't go well for you and you didn't have a slightly negative attitude about it?

I don't think of relationships or having someone as a measurement of life success, and it's sad if you believe that as it sounds like that it what you're implying. Who's to say that those negative experiences in my past will only allow me to really appreciate a great woman if/when I do find her? Who's to say that I didn't dodge some bullets with the women in my past and could have made a serious mistake like marrying them which would only lead to more unhappiness and/or divorce?

You really don't know anything regarding someone else's experiences and I doubt you're really as happy as you say or you wouldn't be here. Otherwise it's safe to say you're just a narcissist who enjoys harassing and judging other people's misfortunes.

I'd rather be in my place today than your place at any point in my life. I would consider your mindset a failure.
I'm not attacking you. I've noticed a trend in your posts....that's all. In most of your posts, you categorize women in the most negative light. You make these broad generalizations that reflects a poor opinion of women in general.
It's no better than what another poster does to men. No offense to her. She knows I like her and she knows she does this. She believes it's true, but at least she owns it. When you make these type of posts, you seem bitter. You call it jaded. To me, it's the same thing.

I do believe success in relationships (not just romantic) is a sign of success in life. People who are surrounded by friends and family are generally more happy. It's more of an indicator of happiness than money could ever be. My mother is extremely intelligent, but she's far from happy because her relationships all end in failure. I never said you were unintelligent. You implied that of me and I responded.

I'm glad you're happy to be you since that's all you can ever be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships