Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times

Advertisements

Chi and Doll Eyes should get together!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 AM

460 posts, read 671,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
LOL! I'd need some popcorn for that date.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:24 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
I just phoned my wife and asked her why she married me, the answer was:
"Because you loved me as much as i loved you" anything else i asked? "Yes, you made me laugh and was honest".

Those are the ones i'm willing to put on here anyway.
Love, honesty, and humor are great answers. A lot of the other things women have been listing, like working hard or wanting a family, are tied in to our feelings of love. It's hard for some of us to love a man who is lazy in our eyes, doesn't want the same things in life, who is unkind or wasteful, etc.

"All you need is love / Love is all you need" sounds beautiful, but love is more than an emotion. There are people in abusive, destructive relationships trying to convince themselves that love conquers all. Real, healthy love, like the love you feel for your wife, is deep and complex.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 AM

143 posts, read 192,789 times
The number one important thing to me in deciding someone is husband material is if he is a homebody and more anti-social than not.

Throughout my 20s I hung out with lots of fun, cool guys but couldn't help but notice they were out most nights drinking while they had girlfriends or wives or kids at home. I always thought if I got married there is no way it would be with someone who went out all the time without me.

Of course, if I didn't have a kid I'd probably still be going out most nights anyway, married or not. Oh well LoL

Old 05-03-2012, 09:52 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I appreciate the suggestion, and I'm sure I'd treat her to a nice evening out, however I'm done with the dating process. I've done far too much in my life and I have no desire to go through it again.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:02 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southshorelady View Post
I'm not attacking you. I've noticed a trend in your posts....that's all. In most of your posts, you categorize women in the most negative light. You make these broad generalizations that reflects a poor opinion of women in general.
It's no better than what another poster does to men. No offense to her. She knows I like her and she knows she does this. She believes it's true, but at least she owns it. When you make these type of posts, you seem bitter. You call it jaded. To me, it's the same thing.

I do believe success in relationships (not just romantic) is a sign of success in life. People who are surrounded by friends and family are generally more happy. It's more of an indicator of happiness than money could ever be. My mother is extremely intelligent, but she's far from happy because her relationships all end in failure. I never said you were unintelligent. You implied that of me and I responded.

I'm glad you're happy to be you since that's all you can ever be.
Well my admission to being jaded was my way of agreeing and admitting to some bitterness. Keep in mind that people speak much differently on a computer screen and wouldn't always reflect to what kind of person they are in a face to face setting, especially on a date. I've had many women tell me that I was very respectful and fun to spend time with on dates. I've almost always landed a 2nd or 3rd date with women because of this...rarely did I ever get turned down after a first date. I guess 6 years of sales experience helps, but personally I'd rather be turned down after date 1 than later on.

Anyway, back on topic: I have to respectfully disagree with you about having a relationship to be happy. You may be right, but I'm in the process of diligently exploring other aspects of life to live happily without an active love relationship. It all comes down to doing what makes me happy. Dating and the end result of failed relationships (heartbreak) has never made me happy. Am I as optimally happy as I could be if I found a woman with a mutual love and respect and I held for her? Probably not. But I can tell you for certain: I'm much happier now pursuing and exploring other facets of live than I ever was while dating or during the many months following a breakup.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:09 AM

460 posts, read 671,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
Well my admission to being jaded was my way of agreeing and admitting to some bitterness. Keep in mind that people speak much differently on a computer screen and wouldn't always reflect to what kind of person they are in a face to face setting, especially on a date. I've had many women tell me that I was very respectful and fun to spend time with on dates. I've almost always landed a 2nd or 3rd date with women because of this...rarely did I ever get turned down after a first date. I guess 6 years of sales experience helps, but personally I'd rather be turned down after date 1 than later on.

Anyway, back on topic: I have to respectfully disagree with you about having a relationship to be happy. You may be right, but I'm in the process of diligently exploring other aspects of life to live happily without an active love relationship. It all comes down to doing what makes me happy. Dating and the end result of failed relationships (heartbreak) has never made me happy. Am I as optimally happy as I could be if I found a woman with a mutual love and respect and I held for her? Probably not. But I can tell you for certain: I'm much happier now pursuing and exploring other facets of live than I ever was while dating or during the many months following a breakup.
Ok. That's fine. I hope you find your happiness. Truly! You're right about the computer screen not accurately portraying a person's true character. I'm not a mean-spirited attacker who gets jollies from other's misery. I'm sorry you saw me that way with the "bitter" comment. I only hoped to draw your attention to the way you are perceived with these opinions.

I didn't know you were heartbroken. I can only imagine how bad that hurts. Just don't let this heartbreak change your character for the worse. All women are not the same. If you let your past consume you in bad feelings, you are the only one who is going to suffer. It's not healthy for you. Good luck!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:14 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Love, honesty, and humor are great answers. A lot of the other things women have been listing, like working hard or wanting a family, are tied in to our feelings of love. It's hard for some of us to love a man who is lazy in our eyes, doesn't want the same things in life, who is unkind or wasteful, etc.

"All you need is love / Love is all you need" sounds beautiful, but love is more than an emotion. There are people in abusive, destructive relationships trying to convince themselves that love conquers all. Real, healthy love, like the love you feel for your wife, is deep and complex.
I think people can make things overly complicated by having these "lists" of things they need. Sometimes it's good to follow your heart even if it leads you to a person with qualities you didn't anticipate.

Mutual love and mutual happiness are the only things I require. I would not be happy if I were in an abusive, destructive relationship so I would not put up with that. I would not be with someone who does not love me or does not want happiness for the both of us.

I remember once being asked if I would stay with my SO if he didn't want/couldn't have kids. I said, "Of Course" without hesitation. But nearly all my girlfriends said they would not marry their SO if they couldn't have kids. Everyone has different "requirements."

Old 05-03-2012, 10:21 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I think people can make things overly complicated by having these "lists" of things they need. Sometimes it's good to follow your heart even if it leads you to a person with qualities you didn't anticipate.

Mutual love and mutual happiness are the only things I require. I would not be happy if I were in an abusive, destructive relationship so I would not put up with that. I would not be with someone who does not love me or does not want happiness for the both of us.

I remember once being asked if I would stay with my SO if he didn't want/couldn't have kids. I said, "Of Course" without hesitation. But nearly all my girlfriends said they would not marry their SO if they couldn't have kids. Everyone has different "requirements."
There could be a difference between happily married women listing the traits of their husbands and the wish lists of the single women. I've known my husband for a long time, and I liked and admired things about him before we married. Maybe I could have fallen for some who was sweet but on the dumb side, or who wasn't very funny. (I didn't list intelligence but it is one of the things I love about him.) I don't think I could construct a list of characteristics he didn't have.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:38 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
nice to see a lot of women still have active imaginations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships