Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times

Advertisements

I had someone contact me one time saying they were an airline pilot. Even had a pic of him in uniform. I caught it right away that english was not his first language. So, I figured I would have fun too. Didn't take long he wanted me to send his son in Africa $$$ until he could cash his check. Oh yeah.. I reported him.

I have even had them contact me on Match.. so it isn't just free sites anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 10:10 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Well I never took zoosk as something that's legit or has real people anyways ?

Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Well I never took zoosk as something that's legit or has real people anyways ?
Didn't get a real good vibe when I had a Myspace account and they were tied together, either.

I'm guessing this is a bot trying to get the OP to pay up.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:57 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
EHarmony guarantees the people you are matched with are not only real, but share similar values, interests, common grounds as you- but for a fee.
EHarmony sent me a bunch of guys who were into TV sports and motorcycles. Their interests had nothing to do with mine. E-H has good PR but poor follow-through. Save your dime.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
EHarmony sent me a bunch of guys who were into TV sports and motorcycles. Their interests had nothing to do with mine. E-H has good PR but poor follow-through. Save your dime.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize you were looking for a woman

Old 05-05-2012, 09:25 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Not all online dating sites are full of fake profiles. The free sites like POF, OKCupid, Zoosk or (whatever Free site you use) tend to have a higher percentage of "fake" profiles because it's free and doesn't cost a dime. I had a former co worker who created fake profiles just to gauge reactions from women about certain aspects of himself (ie one profile said he was an airline pilot making 200K/year, and another fake profile said he was a disabled war vet working at a civil service job- just to see what responses he would get)... But he never bothered with Match, JDate, or eHarmony because they required detailed profile info and $$$..

With these sites, you have to understand the demographics on each site. The free sites are like buying a cheap pair of socks or underwear at Wal-Mart..the product fulfills your need NOW but may fall apart in the dryer after only 2 months vs..going to Macys or Victorias Secret to buy a quality product for more $$ but knowing it will last more than 10 laundry cycles...

Maybe I'm the minority as I met my husband on POF, but I was on Match and eHarmony and thought those sites has a higher percentage of "more serious" people. EHarmony guarantees the people you are matched with are not only real, but share similar values, interests, common grounds as you- but for a fee. If you accept these risks about the free dating sites, then you should be prepared for the consequences...but don't be quick to dismiss all of online dating because of a few bad apples..all it takes is just ONE person to click with for the whole process to be worth it!!

match.com in my experience has just as many fake profiles as the rest. in fact match is probably the worst when it comes to using fake profiles themselves in order to get you to sign back. you'd think guys would find it a little ironic if as soon as they cancel their subscription a hot girl winks at them or writes them.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:51 AM

688 posts, read 897,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
It's the net- virtual and not fully real- Every minute you waste in digital dream land is a minute that can be used in the real world where you would have a successful real date. People have gotten lazy and it's easy to sit at home at the key boards and pretend to have a live---go out side and say hello to a real girl---Now get to it- GOOD LUCK.

These comments crack me up and there's always at least one every time someone mentions online dating. Do you really think online daters have their dates online?

No, they're real people who meet up and have real dates.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:19 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post
These comments crack me up and there's always at least one every time someone mentions online dating. Do you really think online daters have their dates online?

No, they're real people who meet up and have real dates.
Lol! I know. Do they expect guys to just wander around the city trolling for women and trying to pick up women on the streets?

Old 05-05-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Lol! I know. Do they expect guys to just wander around the city trolling for women and trying to pick up women on the streets?

I don't see anything wrong with either.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:24 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I can assure you that those messages come from a young Nigerian male posting from an Internet cafe in Abuja who wants to involve you in "a love scam." If you don't believe me, run portions of the "script" through Google and see what pops up.

Report them to the site and move on.
this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships