U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 05-05-2012, 02:34 PM
 
2,732 posts, read 1,620,821 times
Reputation: 1882

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
It may seem that way, but often people lose weight after a break-up or divorce simply because their lives and lifestyles change.

People way less when they are single mostly because they put in some kind of effort to stay in shape to capture the attention of the opposite sex.

Once a person captures their significant other, they simply don't care anymore to stay in shape.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Not only did I lose more than 20 pound without even trying after my ex moved out, my blood pressure dropped 15 points in less than two weeks. All of this, without working out or watching what I ate. It just happened.
This is why I LOVE loving alone and why I will be a bachelor for the rest of my life.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2012, 04:49 PM
 
218 posts, read 220,088 times
Reputation: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Yeah I work 40 hours a week and am in school. I also try to do a 30 min walk at least 3x a week. Yeah lazy guy here.
Obviously you're not exercising enough or you're eating too much. Either way it shows laziness, either physical or of will.
Quote:
The only reason food prices are going up are due to weather patterns affecting crop yield and the price of gas rising which makes transportation more expensive. I'm not taking food out of anyone's mouth.
The more you eat the higher the demand for food, which raises prices. I'm not blaming the higher food prices on fat people, but they sure don't help. Besides, more money spent on healthcare means less money available to fight pollution, which means more climate change, which means higher food prices.
Quote:
By the way, when you find your (hopefully) human heart, put it back where it belongs and shut up.
By the way, when you find your (hopefully) human brain, put it back where it belongs and don't eat it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 05:03 PM
 
Location: NYC
7,373 posts, read 7,269,083 times
Reputation: 10060
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
Obviously you're not exercising enough or you're eating too much. Either way it shows laziness, either physical or of will.

The more you eat the higher the demand for food, which raises prices. I'm not blaming the higher food prices on fat people, but they sure don't help. Besides, more money spent on healthcare means less money available to fight pollution, which means more climate change, which means higher food prices.
We have the.lowest food costs in history. Higher connsumption (along with subsidies) causes the prices to DECREASE not increase. In fact the.low costs cause people to eat MORE crap and inferior meat.

Your enture causation chain is entirely wrong; i assume you dreamed it up and have not read any scholarly articles or books on the subject.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
8,102 posts, read 14,070,804 times
Reputation: 9978
I'm an ex-fatty and my experience was that no one else could change me, I had to change myself. I lived a lifetime of being called names, missing out on dating and many other experiences, and oh so many well meaning friends and relatives who were so sure a few words of wisdom from them would help me see the light. I learned the meaning of the word obese at the delicate age of 2 when my uncle used that word in reference to me. I was totally humiliated because I asked the meaning of the word in front of all my relatives. More than 50 years later I still remember this like it just happened yesterday.

People are disposed to being a certain body type. Some naturally thin and others naturally heavy. To try to put a male spin on this, think about how many men will never see a 6 pack no matter how much time they spend at the gym. It's the same for women but the pressure to be really thin is more intense. Just look at TV and print. People also tend to gain weight as they age. If your GF is too heavy now, chances are she will fight the pounds for the rest of her life.

Fat people know they are fat. You aren't exactly breaking news when you tell them. They have looked in the mirror and tried to find a new pair of jeans. They know. They agonize more about this than you ever could. They have to LIVE in their body.

There's nothing wrong with doing your own workouts as you please. She is welcome to go with you to the gym but do what you need to do. She is your GF, not your wife and the whole idea of dating is to find out if you are suitable life partners. Best to find out now if this isn't a match made in Heaven. Before kids and marriage, etc. Now is when you GET to be picky. You both get to make your own choices.

How would you feel if your, now hypothetical GF, had your baby and gained 60lbs? What if she developed an illness and was confined to a wheelchair? Love and commitment has to go deeper than the number on a scale. A few pounds is nothing compared to the things you will have to face down the road.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Australia
4,008 posts, read 2,577,219 times
Reputation: 6544
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
So I was wondering what's the best way to approach this issue. Before anyone jumps on my case about how shallow I am, please note my standards of weight for women are the same standards I hold to myself. That standard is a question: "What would a doctor have to say about your weight?" While I think asking for bigger boobs, or for better legs, etc IS shallow, I don't feel like wanting a healthy and medically good weight (in proportion to height) in a partner is too much to ask, especially when the partner holds himself to the same standards.

What's your thoughts on this? I'm not asking her to become super model slim, I'm asking her to go from medically overweight, to medically normal. I don't think that's a shallow request.

How much do you weigh? She could lose up to 300lb of ugly fat in one day if she kicked your arse to the curb.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 06:40 PM
 
4,378 posts, read 2,187,049 times
Reputation: 5420
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
Gay folks CAN'T become straight. Homosexuality isn't caused by laziness.

I'm sorry if I don't want to pay more for healthcare because of your laziness.

I'm sorry if I don't want food prices to go up because you need to eat twice as much as I do.




Only VERY fat people, not the overweight.
You have a deep and disturbing hatred of fat people. Did any one fat person wrong you in some way? you may need to seek professional help.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 07:23 PM
 
47,586 posts, read 35,310,566 times
Reputation: 21573
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
I really don't think that food addiction is nearly as bad as alcoholism. Giving up unhealthy food is much, much easier than giving up alcohol.


I think most people experienced that. Doesn't mean you have to be addicted. You reach a point in your life when you realize you have to eat healthy.

No, but you can give up junk food and sweets and stop eating for recreational purposes.



The problem is that too much sympathy for fat people. When 65% of the population in America is either obese or overweight, fat people SHOULD be made fun of and discriminated against as they are not only harming themselves but society as a whole. Why are gays made fund of in high school but girls with beer bellies are not?
I disagree with you about alcoholism being tougher to beat than obesity.

Just look around -- there are more and more obese people, more obese kids and I don't think that alcoholism rates are increasing.

I believe I've known more alcoholics who manage to stay dry all the time or most of the time than truly obese individuals who managed to lose the weight. It really may be tougher for the very obese - but also it's very hard for many people to lose just the 10 or 20 pounds they know they should.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 07:26 PM
 
47,586 posts, read 35,310,566 times
Reputation: 21573
Also -- when it comes to weight, the best thing someone can do is lose the weight and keep it off forever which means always sticking with the diet or healthy eating habits.

The worst thing to do when it comes to weight is to lose it, gain it, lose it, gain it -- that is very difficult on the heart.

It can actually be better for the obese ones to just try not to gain more if they are not going to make the weight loss permanent. That's the middle choice.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 07:36 PM
 
1,253 posts, read 961,435 times
Reputation: 2472
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Yeah I work 40 hours a week and am in school. I also try to do a 30 min walk at least 3x a week. Yeah lazy guy here.

The only reason food prices are going up are due to weather patterns affecting crop yield and the price of gas rising which makes transportation more expensive. I'm not taking food out of anyone's mouth.

By the way, when you find your (hopefully) human heart, put it back where it belongs and shut up.
Time for a little fact-based information, from here (http://http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-03-12/news/31150222_1_weight-allowance-obese-people-fellow-passengers - broken link)

"Tony Webber, a former chief economist for the Australian airline Qantas, has pointed out that, since 2000, the average weight of adult passengers on its planes has increased by two kilos. For a large, modern aircraft like the Airbus A380, that means that an extra $472 of fuel has to be burned on a flight from Sydney to London. If the airline flies that route in both directions three times a day, over a year it will spend an additional $1 million for fuel, or, on current margins, about 13% of the airline’s profit from operating that route."

"An increase in the use of jet fuel is not just a matter of financial cost; it also implies an environmental cost, as higher greenhouse-gas emissions exacerbate global warming. It is a minor example of how the size of our fellow-citizens affects us all. When people get larger and heavier, fewer of them fit onto a bus or train, which increases the costs of public transport. Hospitals now must order stronger beds and operating tables, build extra-large toilets, and even install extra-large refrigerators in their morgues – all adding to their costs."

"Indeed, obesity imposes a far more significant cost in terms of health care more broadly. Last year, the Society of Actuaries estimated that in the United States and Canada, overweight or obese people accounted for $127 billion in additional health-care expenditure. That adds hundreds of dollars to annual health-care costs for taxpayers and those who pay for private health insurance. The same study indicated that the costs of lost productivity, both among those still working and among those unable to work at all because of obesity, totaled $115 billion."

It's a little tiresome seeing how often people defending obesity on this board resort to "shut up" "grow up" and other infantile expressions. Apparently it is allowed, but I'm not sure you are making any kind of point with that.

Of course, none of this deals with the OPs problem, which is how he can get his overweight sedentary girlfriend up off the couch. It's a matter of how much of her 'betterment' he wants to take on. Shouldn't it be her responsibility? Don't know, just asking.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 07:37 PM
 
47,586 posts, read 35,310,566 times
Reputation: 21573
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
If your girlfriend is at the same weight as when you met then its not your place at all. That situation goes back to meeting someone and then trying to change them. However if she has put on weight since you started dating then maybe you could just get her moving - like saying how about going for a walk.
My dad would say -- a guy should not look at the girl but at the girl's mother because in 25 years or so, that's what he's going to have.

A lot of the eating habits and food issues are learned at a very early age and there is no way around it. Yes someone can relearn, they can lose weight and keep it off permanently but the success stories are few and far between.

Trying to change someone you have a romantic relationship with is not likely going to get you anywhere. If it's a deal breaker then it's time to do both a favor and move on. You can do more damage to someone if you decide they will make you a perfect partner, but you first have to remold them into your ideal. Or that you are the fixer-upper of your romantic interests.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top