Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
yeah but she puts it back on on the weekends. What about your father?

I'm actually starting to think it's a big reflection of a marriage.
My dad hasn't worn his ring in 30yrs. They will be celebrating their 40th anniversary this year and they are happily married. You can think what you want, it doesn't make it true though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
When people don't ever wear it because they take it off for work then it sounds like just laziness is the reason why they never put it back on, but for people don't have a work-related reason, I'm even more baffled. I wouldn't say a couple like that has a bad relationship but it seems apathetic.
I lost my ring eight years ago during a move. We never replaced it. I guess it's apathy but we always seem to have something better to spend money on. Nobody who knows me doubts my devotion. I am just not big on wearing jewelry. I normally don't wear any.

He doesn't wear his because he got out of the habit. He says he will if I want him to but I don't care that much. It'll be 17 years in December.

The only time I miss my ring is when men get flirty and hopeful-sounding. In everyday life, the marquis diamond snagged on my clothes, got banged around while cleaning, scratched the kids, etc.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Quote:
yeah but she puts it back on on the weekends. What about your father?

I'm actually starting to think it's a big reflection of a marriage.
My father doesn't wear jewelry. He works from home and is also handy. Does cabinetry, fixes cars, paints, welds, does lawn care. I'm sure he would constantly be taking it off an putting it back on if he had one so he opted to not wear it.

My parents aren't insecure and don't believe that a stupid ring is what binds them together as husband and wife.

Likewise I dont believe in wedding rings/engagement rings at all.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:42 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I lost my ring eight years ago during a move. We never replaced it.
That's different. You lost it.

You can buy another one too.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:42 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
MrsCPG takes hers off every night and sometimes forgets to put it on in the morning if she's in a hurry. The only time I've not worn mine is when it fell off in a grocery store parking lot when I was removing my gloves. I didn't realize it was gone until the next day and knew immediately where I had lost it. Fortunately, some nice person turned it into the grocery's lost and found.

However, if you work in manufacturing around heavy machinery, you'll see safety regulations that forbid people from wearing them. Because it's quite possible to have your ring get snagged in a moving part and have your ring finger get yanked clean off.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:49 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Some people don't like jewelery. Some people don't need/want a piece of jewelery to outwardly show they are married. Some people never got a wedding ring to begin with for those reasons. Seems pretty simple to me.

A wedding ring isn't a chastity belt. It can't prevent bad behavior.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
That's different. You lost it.

You can buy another one too.
Like I said immediately afterward, we don't feel like spending the money. Maybe a plain old gold band, but if we're considering a major purchase costing a chunk of money, I can think of about 20 things I'd rather spend the money on. I'd rather have a deck than a diamond at this point.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:54 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
MrsCPG takes hers off every night and sometimes forgets to put it on in the morning if she's in a hurry.
This too...I never wear my rings to bed, so I take them off.

If we're traveling most of the times I will just leave my rings at home. I'm always afraid I'll leave them on the night table and housekeeping will become the lucky recipient of my rings.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Like I said immediately afterward, we don't feel like spending the money. Maybe a plain old gold band, but if we're considering a major purchase costing a chunk of money, I can think of about 20 things I'd rather spend the money on. I'd rather have a deck than a diamond at this point.
What's wrong with a gold band?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:56 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
When people don't ever wear it because they take it off for work then it sounds like just laziness is the reason why they never put it back on, but for people don't have a work-related reason, I'm even more baffled. I wouldn't say a couple like that has a bad relationship but it seems apathetic.
Or they don't care because it's a meaningless symbol to some people?

Just because you care about rings doesn't mean the rest of the free world does.

Btw, my dad has never worn a ring - 41 years of marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships