Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:24 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times

Advertisements

If you see someone with a ring....do you know for a fact that they are really married? They could just be wearing the ring to pretend that they had managed to "catch" a guy.

A Ring doesn't mean a thing.

I quit wearing mine soon after I was married. The metal irritated my skin, I would wear it on the right hand until the left healed. It wasn't worth the effort. Everyone that knew us, knew we were married. Strangers didn't matter and if anyone made a pass at me because they thought I was single, it didn't take more than a look to change their mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 05:24 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I would be interested in seeing the honest reactions of people who were proposed to without a ring, and were then informed they would not be receiving a ring at all in the future.
I was proposed to without a ring and could not have cared less. I was never bothered about being proposed to in the first place. Now Hubby realised I am really fussy with Jewellery and very wisely decided I should chose the ring as it is important to me for example that it is as environmentally and ethically friendly as possible. Which is quite a tall order when it comes to engagement rings.

He proposed over 4 years go and we married over 2 years ago. He has since pursued me relentlessly to try and make me have a ring designed to my tastes and I keep putting him off. What do I need an engagement ring for ? I have rings. When and if I can ever be bothered to spend that much time and effort on a piece of metal then it will possibly, maybe, perhaps one day happen. Quite frankly I would rather spend the money on travelling, going to the Opera or the Theatre etc...

I do not feel bereft because I do not have an engagement ( or Wedding for that matter) ring. My relationship is a little deeper than a little bling on my finger or lackof therein. It seems to mean far more to Him than it does to me. So he keeps pestering and I keep dodging.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:29 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,837 times
Rings are not are a reflection of peoples relationship.My parents have been married 47 years..My dad never has worn one, and my mom has beautiful diamonds, she rarely wears...Wouldn't bother me if hubby didn't wear his...as I love and trust him, not the ring.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:06 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Are these people not proud to be married?

And when I say "ever" I mean never.

I am curious about the mentality.
For some, this is a SAFETY ISSUE. When I was in the Navy, one of the guys working on a radio transmitter happened to get his finger across a "hot" connection (some 500 volts) and the ring was touching ground. His finger was "cooked", almost instantly. From that day on, he no longer had a "ring finger".

I was loading a truck and had to guide the material into place. The ring got caught while the forklift was lowering the material. I didn't lose my finger, but did get a lot of very small stitches to put the "tube" of skin back into place. It peeled the skin to the first knuckle.

Doing the same job, another guy had to have his ring cut off because his hand got caught and the ring got squashed. Either cut it off or lose his finger.

Solvents can get under the ring, and some of them cause chemical burns. No ring means it can easily be wiped off and no burn.

Would you like to insist that I wear any ring on any finger?

Old 05-10-2012, 06:16 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Frankly, in my observation, guys who don't wear it are out to hustle women, and they do. Women: please get your guy to wear his ring!
please read my post above very carefully.....

Old 05-10-2012, 06:20 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Wedding rings aren't chastity belts people! Far from it...

Old 05-10-2012, 01:37 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Lots of people work around electricity or machinery where it's not a good idea to wear rings or may even be specifically disallowed in the work place. Some people do physically difficult work where the rings could become damaged. Others just don't like wearing them.

I only wore mine maybe 20% of the time. I like to alternate my jewelry and change it once a week or so. That didn't make me any less married. It's just a symbol.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:41 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
For some, this is a SAFETY ISSUE. When I was in the Navy, one of the guys working on a radio transmitter happened to get his finger across a "hot" connection (some 500 volts) and the ring was touching ground. His finger was "cooked", almost instantly. From that day on, he no longer had a "ring finger".

I was loading a truck and had to guide the material into place. The ring got caught while the forklift was lowering the material. I didn't lose my finger, but did get a lot of very small stitches to put the "tube" of skin back into place. It peeled the skin to the first knuckle.

Doing the same job, another guy had to have his ring cut off because his hand got caught and the ring got squashed. Either cut it off or lose his finger.

Solvents can get under the ring, and some of them cause chemical burns. No ring means it can easily be wiped off and no burn.

Would you like to insist that I wear any ring on any finger?
ew. that's terrible about the guy with his 'cooked' finger!

well if it is a safety thing that's a different story then suit & tie guy not wearing the ring. If not, I agree with Ruth.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:24 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Why not have all married people wear signs that say, "stay away. I'm married."

It should be big enough to be seen from a distance, but small enough that it wouldn't interfer with work.

Maybe even with a battery operated light system for use at night or in a dark bar?

If a person is in a marriage where they are bothered by the spouse not wearing a ring, then they need to take a long hard look at why they got married in the first place.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:26 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Are these people not proud to be married?

And when I say "ever" I mean never.

I am curious about the mentality.
I never take mine off (except for surgery when they make you take it off), but I'm guessing other people might not wear them for job related reasons.

I like reaching for my husbands hand and feeling his ring there on his finger. Even in the middle of the night we'll sometimes hold hands in bed and I smile when I feel that ring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships