Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 01:31 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostren View Post
Strongly disagree.

Dating preferences and general treatment of a fellow human are two different things.

Furthermore, a lot of it is about tact. Someone saying "I prefer to date women who are in similar shape as I am" is much better than "I don't date fat chicks". Likewise, "I prefer to date caucasian women" is better than "I don't date arabs" or whomever.

People can't be forced into dating someone of a certain type, whether it is based on race or size or whatever, but they should treat people with respect, whether or not they are a potential mate.

This, exactly. I know there are A LOT of men out there who won't date me because of my height, or my hair, or my nose or any number of things. Is it shallow? Maybe, but you can't force someone to be attracted physically to someone.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,024 times
I always find it amazing that people will argue and argue that other's preferences are so bad, yet their preferences are ok and justified.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:59 AM

55 posts, read 95,559 times
I'm glad that people on this board are finally admitting that people have bias and preferences when it comes tp finding a mate. Some of the women in here act as though they're Belle from Beauty and the Beast, finding beauty in anyone and everyone who isn't attractive. They're acting as though in order to have a great personality you cannot be attractive.

It's not shallow to have preferences. We should establish this so we can get some more honest answers.

I'm not trying to deny that personality is the key to solidify a match but looks, initial attraction play a much bigger role than some of the women on here lead on. If not guys with less than stellar looks but with great personalities would be picking up the girls all the time at the club.

The only place I've ever seen this happen is in southern bars out of the inner city.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:11 AM

426 posts, read 558,819 times
I got lucky because i married a shoe freak- she kept telling me how good it was to wear heels and she is 5'8".

Old 05-07-2012, 08:41 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,039 times
Women prefer taller guys because they intuitively associate height with the feeling of security and safety. Their isntincts are right and have been shaped over thousands of years of human evolution. Some of the arguments made in this thread are simply ridiculous though, seem slike small guys are trying to make themselves feel better about things they cant control. Someone already said, dont think of it as a disability but something unique to you. Plenty of short guys have great success with the opposite sex, but chances are its because they dont let things they cant control, hinder it.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:47 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,397,528 times
dont animals judge by looks or mating rituals? i doubt 2 deer are gonna be attracted to each other due to personality

Old 05-07-2012, 08:53 AM

788 posts, read 1,271,568 times
Why would you think there's anything wrong with 5'11? I can't imagine anyone disliking that height, unless maybe the woman's 6'2.

I'm 5'2 and prefer not to date guys who are too tall, and I've dated as tall as 6'6. Yuk. Never again. These days, 5'11 is about where I want to end it. Of course, if I met a guy I really liked who was 6', I'd date him. 10 years ago, I always said I'd never date a short man. Then I dated 2 and fell in love with the one. I never thought twice about the short height. In my experience, guys are more focused on height than women are. 5'11 is perfectly fine - not too tall, not too short. I think it's about the perfect height, really. So stop worrying!

Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times
To each their own when it comes to this topic. I am 5'7 and my wife is 5'8. She is even taller with tall shoes. She obviously has no problems with my height because she is the one that chased me. Prior to meeting my wife I had dated plenty of taller women, most of them didn't mind my height.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:20 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostren View Post
Strongly disagree.

Dating preferences and general treatment of a fellow human are two different things.

Furthermore, a lot of it is about tact. Someone saying "I prefer to date women who are in similar shape as I am" is much better than "I don't date fat chicks". Likewise, "I prefer to date caucasian women" is better than "I don't date arabs" or whomever.

People can't be forced into dating someone of a certain type, whether it is based on race or size or whatever, but they should treat people with respect, whether or not they are a potential mate.
We are not in disagreement here. I agree that everyone is entitled to his or her dating preferences, and that others should be treated with respect.

However, my point is that the origin of each preference is most likely different--one societal and one personal. The origins are not "exactly the same thing."

Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 AM

3 posts, read 5,119 times
Default How tall is too tall

I am a 5'6" guy and I know that's short to a lot of women, and my success with women is limited because of that and some other reasons. Now, my roommate is a huge 6'6" guy, he has a beautiful girl friend and whenever me and him go out to have lunch or hang out at a bar, I see that the waitress/women staff instantly have a twinkle in their eye when they see him.

Now I had a question here, I know height is extremely important for a man to be considered desirable, but is there a height beyond which a man's considered too tall and hence his prospects decline? How many of you women here would love to date a man that's 6'6" and decline a man that tall. Also, how many of you wouldn't mind dating someone like me, one that's 5'6" or decline me based on my height alone. Just trying to know a few things here, that's all. I won't judge anyone of you by your answers, it's fine to have preferences and I know that height is a very important preference as far as men are concerned, it's unfortunate I can't do anything about it but I have learnt to accept it. Such is life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships