Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:11 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2009 View Post
I'm 5'3" and prefer guys to be at LEAST 5'8". I like a guy to be taller and bigger than me, including when I'm in heels...I'm fairly self-sufficient so when I fall for a guy, I like that illusion of being held and protected. Plus, the short guys who hit on me have the most unattractive personalities and come on WAY too strong...short man syndrome...
Yes I've heard women say this, it's probably partly nature but may also be cultural. It's probably something guys can't understood though, I admit that. It's your preference.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Only if they are thin and look like models. Most men will outright reject a woman who is tall (or taller than them, rather) if she's average weight/looks.
It's no skin off my back, I've been rejected more times than I can count because of my height. I was dumped by a guy who was 6'8 because I was too tall for him when I wore heels.

You're a rarity then Most of my male friends (including ones that are well over 6'5) date very petite, small women. The 6'8 man I mentioned above ended up marrying a girl who is barely 5'3. He just liked tiny girls.

Every has preferences, and not everyone is going to be attracted to you. I'm a tall girl who isn't built like a supermodel, but I don't let it get me down.
I don't know, why is being tall seen as a good thing for women then? Not very tall, like 6 feet plus, but at least 5'6" or so. And I'm not just talking modelling. In my experience, men don't really care as long as she's not super tall or short. And in my experience, short women often look dumpy and a bit out of proportion. The women with the bodies I'm attracted to always seem to be at least 5'3" or so.

I admit, being 5'9" I WOULD find a 6'0" woman a little intimidating. If she asked me out, I wouldn't turn her down, but given someone that height and someone my height I'd probably be more inclined to try someone my height only because I generally assume women who are taller than me aren't that interested in me. Hey if I was 6'8 I would LOVE to date a 6 foot plus woman...by the way if 6'2" Maria Sharapova offered to go on a date with most guys, they'd probably bust a load in their pants.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:21 PM

297 posts, read 740,623 times
Quote:
Only if they are thin and look like models. Most men will outright reject a woman who is tall (or taller than them, rather) if she's average weight/looks.
It's no skin off my back, I've been rejected more times than I can count because of my height. I was dumped by a guy who was 6'8 because I was too tall for him when I wore heels.
His loss! I don't know what it is, I prefer women of a similar size to myself---I'm about 6' (runner's body) and have only dated women between 5'9-6'. And all have been average size---6-12. They've always been associated with being humbling and having great personalities. Maybe they face the same dilemmas men on the shorter side face?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't know, why is being tall seen as a good thing for women then? Not very tall, like 6 feet plus, but at least 5'6" or so. And I'm not just talking modelling. In my experience, men don't really care as long as she's not super tall or short. And in my experience, short women often look dumpy and a bit out of proportion. The women with the bodies I'm attracted to always seem to be at least 5'3" or so.

I admit, being 5'9" I WOULD find a 6'0" woman a little intimidating. If she asked me out, I wouldn't turn her down, but given someone that height and someone my height I'd probably be more inclined to try someone my height only because I generally assume women who are taller than me aren't that interested in me. Hey if I was 6'8 I would LOVE to date a 6 foot plus woman...by the way if 6'2" Maria Sharapova offered to go on a date with most guys, they'd probably bust a load in their pants.
See, I don't see a woman as being 'tall' until she's at least 5'10. Anything less than that is fairly normal. 5'6 is not tall at all to me, most of the women I know are in the 5'6-5'8 range and I know a few who are 5'10 or taller, including myself.

And Maria Sharapova is famous, I thought they didn't count? It's like when guys say 'I LOVE tall girls! Like Gisele, or Heidi Klum!' No, those are supermodels, not normal tall girls. Not every tall girl is built like a model.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:27 PM

55 posts, read 95,560 times
I've noticed taller guys love shorties and shorter guys love the tall women. Opposite attract I guess.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Sorry some of us didn't meet your expectation of being prejudiced in favor of tall guys. But we assumed you wanted honest answers. Some of us just don't care about a guy's height. Some do. At least one said she thought she preferred tall guys until she met a dreamboat shorter guy. Big surprise--there's a variety of opinions out there.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:30 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
His loss! I don't know what it is, I prefer women of a similar size to myself---I'm about 6' (runner's body) and have only dated women between 5'9-6'. And all have been average size---6-12. They've always been associated with being humbling and having great personalities. Maybe they face the same dilemmas men on the shorter side face?

Yes and no. I think a lot of men want a girl smaller than them and that means that the taller the girl gets, the less she must weight and the smaller she must be to be 'acceptable'. I'm a size 12 right now at 6'1 and I'm still considered 'big' to most men. A girlfriend of mine is 6' and a size 2 and gets hit on constantly, regardless of her height she's still smaller than most men and therefore attractive. Personally, I don't think she's all that attractive because a 6' tall women shouldn't weigh under 120 lbs and she looks sickly. However, most guys still like that.

Everyone has preferences though, and if a guy doesn't want me because I'm 'too big' or 'too tall' then that's not a big deal to me. The same if a woman rejects a guy who isn't tall enough. Who cares? You can't force someone to be interested in you.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
See, I don't see a woman as being 'tall' until she's at least 5'10. Anything less than that is fairly normal. 5'6 is not tall at all to me, most of the women I know are in the 5'6-5'8 range and I know a few who are 5'10 or taller, including myself.

And Maria Sharapova is famous, I thought they didn't count? It's like when guys say 'I LOVE tall girls! Like Gisele, or Heidi Klum!' No, those are supermodels, not normal tall girls. Not every tall girl is built like a model.
The average height for an American female is supposed to be 5'3" but doesn't that seem short to you? Same with the average male height of 5'9". Here, in Australia, it really does seem people my age are taller than older generations (and I think they are), and there are many, many women my height (5'8-9" ish). Even 6 footers are not uncommon, but anything above 6'2" is exceptional. I think the tallest woman I have ever seen in real life is about 6'3" or so.

But yes, I'm a bit surprised many 6'5" guys wouldn't like a 6" lady. They're not exactly all that common still, but I mean compared to being 6'5" they'd still seem quite a bit shorter.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:32 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sorry some of us didn't meet your expectation of being prejudiced in favor of tall guys. But we assumed you wanted honest answers. Some of us just don't care about a guy's height. Some do. At least one said she thought she preferred tall guys until she met a dreamboat shorter guy. Big surprise--there's a variety of opinions out there.
The truth is just so damn inconvenient for some of these people

Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Yes and no. I think a lot of men want a girl smaller than them and that means that the taller the girl gets, the less she must weight and the smaller she must be to be 'acceptable'. I'm a size 12 right now at 6'1 and I'm still considered 'big' to most men. A girlfriend of mine is 6' and a size 2 and gets hit on constantly, regardless of her height she's still smaller than most men and therefore attractive. Personally, I don't think she's all that attractive because a 6' tall women shouldn't weigh under 120 lbs and she looks sickly. However, most guys still like that.

Everyone has preferences though, and if a guy doesn't want me because I'm 'too big' or 'too tall' then that's not a big deal to me. The same if a woman rejects a guy who isn't tall enough. Who cares? You can't force someone to be interested in you.
Maybe it's an insecurity thing. Men are just intimidated of big (not fat), tall women physically speaking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships