Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 11:44 PM

30,888 posts, read 36,926,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I have to post this as I am about crazy listening to this term! When did Baby Mama and Baby Daddy start being used as a reference to mother of the child/ren or father of the child/ren? I am an educated woman and I will tell you, I find this very immature, ridiculous, lack of using intelligence. Sorry, but you have to hear it.

I am divorced and I have two children by my former spouse. We refer to each other as, "my sons Mom, my sons Dad OR my sons mother, my sons father." Simple as that, doesn't that sound much better? Also, just to add, even if we had never been married to each other, it still sounds more appropriate and more respectful to my children.
At some point in time we hit this threshold where having kids out of wedlock became normal and acceptable. It's a sort of casual term that reflects a casual attitude about breeding.

The very casualness of the term is what I don't like about it (and I suspect that is also the case for you as well). It makes it seem like it's no big deal to have kids without being married, as if it has no real consequences for you or the kid(s). Nothing could be further from the truth.

In 1999 congressional testimony, Isabel Sawhill of the Brookings Institution said that the increase in single-parent families—mostly due to unwed motherhood in the past few decades—"can account for virtually all of the increase in child poverty since 1970." A recent study found that the stress of early childhood poverty can literally damage developing brains.

Forget Juno. Out-of-wedlock births are a national catastrophe. - Slate Magazine

And before anyone disses me as a right wing nut job, the Brookings Institution is a centrist to liberal leaning think tank.

Brookings Institution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 05-05-2012 at 11:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I don't get why this is an issue.

It's slang...slang's been around for hundreds of years and will always be with us. It is also constantly evolving.

"Language Police" always make me laugh - they don't seem to know that the English we speak and write today would be completely unintelligible to our ancestors. Language is fluid, and changes and moves with society. Words change their meanings, their pronunciations and usage constantly. Only 100 years ago something which was "terrific" was frightening...now it means the exact opposite. It is kind of pointless trying to police it. As an anti-apostrophe-abuse activist myself, I have come to realise and accept that the apostrophe is dying a natural death...it doesn't mean it's good or bad. It just is.
It's not about being language police. It's that language is a reflection of a certain attitude. In this case, a casual attitude about having kids with people you don't even know very well. Sloppy language, sloppy breeding. Both are indicative of a lazy, sloppy, un-conscientious kind of attitude toward life.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
REAL words, real sentences, and humans wonder why they cannot spell, read or pronounce words properly or write a complete sentence.
Actually, most people on CD don't care about this. If you call people out about their writing and spelling that's below what they should have learned by 6th grade, you get flamed for it.

There is just a lack of standards in our country on so many levels. Lack of planning. Sloppy language. Sloppy breeding. Obesity. Too much debt. Large numbers of people from the top to the bottom wanting to make an easy living and wanting to game the economic system. It's all connected.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:12 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,120,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's all connected.
And engineered!

Old 05-06-2012, 12:35 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,725,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Who's discussing a race? There's trash of all colors.

I agree with you, trash comes in all colors so no idea why any race is mentioned over the other on the previous page. These terms are being used all over the place, there's even a recent movie with Amy Poehler called "Baby Mama."

Old 05-06-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
These terms are being used all over the place, there's even a recent movie with Amy Poehler called "Baby Mama."
Well, that's why I'm saying it's all about deliberate social engineering. Otherwise, the terms in question would've stayed in the 'hood where they belong.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:49 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,200,674 times
Quote:
Well, that's why I'm saying it's all about deliberate social engineering. Otherwise, the terms in question would've stayed in the 'hood where they belong.
I'm sorry but I don't believe social engineering is behind this. No one has made it mandatory for people from other walks of life to use this term.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:49 AM

52,165 posts, read 52,609,244 times
Quote:
If we were in china and you used terms like Social Engineering, you'd have a load of shyt on your hands........

Old 05-06-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I'm sorry but I don't believe social engineering is behind this. No one has made it mandatory for people from other walks of life to use this term.
Well, no people from my walks of life use them or ever will, but the think tanks behind the media promote them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
If we were in china and you used terms like Social Engineering, you'd have a load of shyt on your hands........
We're not too far from that, in case you haven't noticed.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:58 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,725,947 times
Quote:
The terms are pretty distasteful, yes, but I agree with Ms. Ann Thorpe it's nothing but slang. There are so many other slang words that have become common place. For example very few people takes issue with "Hey" when that is common slang for "hello." At the end of the day, yes, I would prefer too if folks said the child's mother/father, but to me this talk about using some slang but not others, or speaking, writing incorrectly is yet another way people cut others down to nothing. What else is new? I seriously don't beleive this world knows how to operate on anything different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships