Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 01:02 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
For example very few people takes issue with "Hey" when that is common slang for "hello."
Are you really trying to compare slang like "hey" to this trash?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 01:03 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Are you really trying to compare slang like "hey" to this trash?!

It was an example, I was assuming you got the idea of what I was trying to convey. But apparently not.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:01 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,928 times
I just think it is a term used around the way. I guess I am not so sensitive as to be bothered by these little insignificant things.
I am educated and yes when joking I will call my ex my babys daddy to him and he laughs and he calls me "D" It is never stated in literal terms and never would I state this to others, meaning my parents, family, co-workers and ect.

Baby bump, blah blah, it matters very little to me.
I mean we have others stating more important things like labeling, stereo typing and being to PC? And you have these "educated" individuals stating that people have become too "sensitive" and should not take things so literal?

And here we have a thread discussing terms like this and stating that only uneducated persons and ghetto folk use these terms? lol..go figure..

But carry on..

Old 05-06-2012, 05:50 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
I imagine some people think its edgy and cute in an urban sort of way. But honestly, no one thinks about how such "trash talk" sounds to the children of these relationships and their peers, and the long term effects. Words are not just words. They cause damage.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:20 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I don't get why this is an issue.

It's slang...slang's been around for hundreds of years and will always be with us. It is also constantly evolving.

"Language Police" always make me laugh - they don't seem to know that the English we speak and write today would be completely unintelligible to our ancestors. Language is fluid, and changes and moves with society. Words change their meanings, their pronunciations and usage constantly. Only 100 years ago something which was "terrific" was frightening...now it means the exact opposite. It is kind of pointless trying to police it. As an anti-apostrophe-abuse activist myself, I have come to realise and accept that the apostrophe is dying a natural death...it doesn't mean it's good or bad. It just is.
No, MsAnnThrope, the apostrophe isn't dying! Looking around--it's being superfluously inserted into plurals everywhere!

Old 05-06-2012, 06:26 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Some of you take yourselves too seriously on here. If you dont use it, fine. Lets not degrade others for the speech they choose to use. This can potentially open a can of worms into a whole other subject that many of you may not be ready for...

Old 05-06-2012, 06:36 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
This will really upset everyone...

In 50 years time, the language we use now will be obsolete.

The written word is undergoing the most profound change since its inception - sms. Future generations will increasingly spell things as they would in text...eg, where are you? will be spelt
"were r u?"

There is no wrong/right to this...it is a natural evolution of language. What you consider "sloppy" now will be considered "old fashioned" in 50 years.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:40 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Some of you take yourselves too seriously on here. If you dont use it, fine. Lets not degrade others for the speech they choose to use. This can potentially open a can of worms into a whole other subject that many of you may not be ready for...
To tell the truth, in real life, the SPEECH of others doesn't bother me. I work in a very culturally/internationally diverse environment, and language fascinates me.

But bad writing does bug me. I know MsAnnThrope is correct in her assessment that language constantly changes; yes, yes, we all know that. However, to someone like me to whom the written word is important, watching the literacy of the people of my country sink to the level of ignorance over the past couple of decades has been very disturbing. We are a country that provides an education to everyone, and so many people just throw it away. (I'm not talking about people with learning disabilities--someone always leaps out of their seat waving their hand to throw that statement in. Please.) I'm talking about carelessness and laziness, people who just can't be bothered because they don't think it's important enough. ALL these people don't have "learning disabilities".

On the other hand, I comfort myself with the thought that those who choose stupidity are the future competition of my college-age daughter, and so this will be advantageous to her.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:58 AM

460 posts, read 671,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, MsAnnThrope, the apostrophe isn't dying! Looking around--it's being superfluously inserted into plurals everywhere!
LOL! Seriously. The it's and its thing is enough to drive you crazy. I mess up when typing. I make errors and notice them later. Everyone does. The problem is when people who are supposed to be educated send out company-wide e-mails with these sort of mistakes (and more than one or two). It's embarrassing

Back to the topic. I don't care what term they use. They could say "Snarkimonkeyhead," and I would still have a problem with it if only because I dislike the idea behind the whole thing. I agree with the people who stated that the terminology is a product of two people breeding children when they barely know each other. Don't have sex with people you don't want to be tied to for life. If you must have sex with this person, use at least two precautions against unwanted pregnancy. There's no excuse for "baby mamas" and "baby daddies." At least with an unwanted pregnancy in a boyfriend/girlfriend situation, the term would become almost obsolete. Most people would refer to the mother or father as "my ex" or "Sally's father" or maybe even "the a-hole"

Old 05-06-2012, 08:01 AM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Actually, most people on CD don't care about this. If you call people out about their writing and spelling that's below what they should have learned by 6th grade, you get flamed for it.

There is just a lack of standards in our country on so many levels. Lack of planning. Sloppy language. Sloppy breeding. Obesity. Too much debt. Large numbers of people from the top to the bottom wanting to make an easy living and wanting to game the economic system. It's all connected.
Not here. I am one of those that occasionally will correct someone here, and I don't really care if anyone has a problem with it. Proper language is a pet peeve of mine, and it always will be. And when I make a mistake, I am grateful for any corrections.

As the world becomes more technologically inclined, good grammar seems to go to the wayside. People, used to taking shortcuts with the help of new technology, also take shortcuts with grammar. Texting, Facebook, MySpace and Twitter are forums that allow us to be grammatically lazy. The problem with this is, our generation is losing focus of the importance of being grammatically correct.

When you speak or write you are presenting yourself through language. When communicating through language, be it written or spoken, your syntax and diction represent who you are. This is especially true when you are communicating via phone or internet and the other person cannot see you. In this case, all they have on which to base an opinion about you is the way you speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships