Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Just for the record book, in my experience with 3 grown sons and two husbands. This is not behavior that is normal.
Wow ! Two husbands, do they know about each other ? I think I saw this on HBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's true, but as the OP said he might be a bad judge of age. Might be thinking this girl looks 18, or something.

Most men don't admit it, but I bet a good majority 'check out' 16-17 year old girls all the time.
No most men over 40 do not check out 16 year olds. I can appreciate the beauty of any woman but also recognize one that is way too young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
I'd tell him. If he cares about you, I would think he would consider your feelings and try to control his behavior when you're around.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:31 PM

395 posts, read 707,402 times
There are multiple issues at play here, but we'll focus on the main point.

You have some baggage that needs to be cleared, but it may take years to clear as it has been incubating inside you for a long long time.

Your over protectiveness stems from you relating it to your own traumatic experiences and linking your guy to the individual who violated you in the past. It's not fair to be relating him to this experience and it's up to you to break away from this line of thought before he accommodates your demands. You need to be honest with him, otherwise he's left in the dark. In addition if you relate him to your traumatic experience you may be creating a wedge in your relationship. If the wedge widens you'll be in rough waters.

You can have a problem if he only looks at teens all day, but if he's looking at a broad range of 20-80 year olds then it's hard to bust a nut on the guy when all he is doing is he's looking.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:45 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
This is a huge issue, given you past history. It needs to be discussed, so he can understand the roots of your emotions around this. If he cares about you, he won't blow it off and say that you have a problem. If he doesn't react in a caring and concerned way, that would be a red flag that there's something wrong in the relationship, that he doesn't care about you like he should.

That said, this issue shouldn't be hanging over your relationship forever. It is possible to resolve old traumas so that they lose their emotional kick.

It does seem a bit inconsiderate, though, to be obviously checking out all these women when he's with you. Can't he confine that to times when he's alone? What do you think would happen if you checked out men while the two of you were out and about together? Is your relationship ok otherwise?

Old 05-09-2012, 12:03 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Just read all responses. Thank you all for your honesty and insight. I appreciate it. A couple answers were a little harsh with presumptions but I get it. And there are some great responses here. Thank you.

I sought help for this from, roughly, 17 to 30. It wasn't until my abuser became deathly ill I forgave him. It didn't mean I excused it or trusted him again and it wasn't so much for him as it was for myself. That opened a lot of doors for me I won't go into but it changed my life for the better.

I've seen older men look at teens in public and was quietly enraged by it, as I said. But it wasn't until I started seeing someone who does it that I realized what a problem it is for me. I can't say anything to the strangers I see do it. But I don't have to accept it in my man.

To someone who thought it doesn't bother me that he looks, I might have under-stated how I feel there. It does bother me to some extent when he looks at women when he's with me but I don't feel the need to react or feel enraged. It's just embarrassing. Most men probably won't understand this but when we're with a man and another woman sees him staring at her while he's with us, it's humiliating to some of us--depending on how he does it. A glance, no big deal. A gawk and double-take or worse, not good. There's plenty of time to do that when we're not together. One of my favorite sayings on that is, A boy makes his girl jealous of other woman. A gentleman makes other women jealous of his girl.

Yes, I do need to tell him. You're right. I guess I already knew that. I'm just dreading it. I'm not too good at saying things sometimes and don't want to come across as saying he's a perv.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:07 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Just read all responses. Thank you all for your honesty and insight. I appreciate it. A couple answers were a little harsh with presumptions but I get it. And there are some great responses here. Thank you.

I sought help for this from, roughly, 17 to 30. It wasn't until my abuser became deathly ill I forgave him. It didn't mean I excused it or trusted him again and it wasn't so much for him as it was for myself. That opened a lot of doors for me I won't go into but it changed my life for the better.

I've seen older men look at teens in public and was quietly enraged by it, as I said. But it wasn't until I started seeing someone who does it that I realized what a problem it is for me. I can't say anything to the strangers I see do it. But I don't have to accept it in my man.

To someone who thought it doesn't bother me that he looks, I might have under-stated how I feel there. It does bother me to some extent when he looks at women when he's with me but I don't feel the need to react or feel enraged. It's just embarrassing. Most men probably won't understand this but when we're with a man and another woman sees him staring at her while he's with us, it's humiliating to some of us--depending on how he does it. A glance, no big deal. A gawk and double-take or worse, not good. There's plenty of time to do that when we're not together. One of my favorite sayings on that is, A boy makes his girl jealous of other woman. A gentleman makes other women jealous of his girl.

Yes, I do need to tell him. You're right. I guess I already knew that. I'm just dreading it. I'm not too good at saying things sometimes and don't want to come across as saying he's a perv.

Hugs to you my friend

When you tell him be sure to use "I" statements instead of "you" statements.

That keeps the focus on this being something you are hypersensitive about and doesn't come off like you are calling him a "perv" okay?

Old 05-09-2012, 12:08 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a huge issue, given you past history. It needs to be discussed, so he can understand the roots of your emotions around this. If he cares about you, he won't blow it off and say that you have a problem. If he doesn't react in a caring and concerned way, that would be a red flag that there's something wrong in the relationship, that he doesn't care about you like he should.

That said, this issue shouldn't be hanging over your relationship forever. It is possible to resolve old trauma s so that they lose their emotional kick.

It does seem a bit inconsiderate, though, to be obviously checking out all these women when he's with you. Can't he confine that to times when he's alone? What do you think would happen if you checked out men while the two of you were out and about together? Is your relationship ok otherwise?
This happened. We were walking along the main street in Vegas when he pointed out a billboard with a young man in his underwear only. I glanced and looked away. I hardly noticed. I was thinking of something else and was truly disinterested. Later, he told me, "You hardly seem to notice other men. Why don't you look around more? There's a world out there!" I told him this. "I know there's a world out there but the things I notice are different than what you notice. I look at trees, clouds, lakes, oceans, fields, just nature." I couldn't care less about asses. Am I strange for that? LOL

Yes, otherwise, we're great together.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:

WB, you're right that he shouldn't be ogling other women when he's with you, it's disrespectful. It's a subtle put-down of you.

If you talk to him about this, it doesn't have to sound like he's a perv. Does he know about the rape? You can start by saying your really uncomfortable when he looks at women in general when he's with you, start with that issue. Then explain that it especially bothers you when he looks at teens, because of your earlier trauma, it brings up really strong feelings, and that's why you got mad at him. Focus on you, how you feel when he looks at teens. But bring it back to the more general concern about how you feel disrespected when he's looking at any women.

If this doesn't go over well, then I would suggest couples counseling for this, because it's major. And it's really two issues rolled into one.

Good luck. Take care.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hugs to you my friend

When you tell him be sure to use "I" statements instead of "you" statements.

That keeps the focus on this being something you are hypersensitive about and doesn't come off like you are calling him a "perv" okay?
I will definitely keep that in mind. Thank you for the reminder.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
This happened. We were walking along the main street in Vegas when he pointed out a billboard with a young man in his underwear only. I glanced and looked away. I hardly noticed. I was thinking of something else and was truly disinterested. Later, he told me, "You hardly seem to notice other men. Why don't you look around more? There's a world out there!" I told him this. "I know there's a world out there but the things I notice are different than what you notice. I look at trees, clouds, lakes, oceans, fields, just nature." I couldn't care less about asses. Am I strange for that? LOL

Yes, otherwise, we're great together.
No, you're not strange. When I walk around, I don't even see my surroundings much, I'm off on a cloud somewhere, thinking about other things. Or I'm blissing out on the great spring weather, or something. I'm not a people-watcher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships