Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:58 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,544,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
That's interesting, but I am curious as to why wait until an X amount of dates have passed? In my case, when a girl takes me out I don't think "Hhhhm I will wait until a few weeks or months have passed for me to be nice enough to contribute to expenses".
Whoever invites the other one out should pay. Since the man usually asks the woman out in the beginning, he should pay.

Although men paying is largely due to tradition, it still can serve as a good barometer of how gracious, gentlemanly, stable, cheap, generous, etc. he is.

When I used to date, it was always with marriage in mind. I never dated anyone just so I could go out. I would talk to a man quite a bit before we went out in order to find out if he was actually someone I liked, and who seemed like he had the potential to be a good husband. If I did not sense there was any potential, I didn't accept any offers to go out.

However, if I went out with him a few times, it was because I really liked him. Therefore, I would have no problem helping out with the tab after 2 or 3 dates. The way someone spends money says a lot about them. Watching how he handles the tabs is one of the things that tells you a bit about the person's character or what may be going on in their life.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:04 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,567,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post

When the bill comes you give the waiter a coupon
I wouldnt DARE use a coupon on a date ever ever ever EVER

Women HATE a man who is cheap and frugal. They want a man who has money and will spoil them financially. Coupons are for the supermarket, not a date...sorry!

Old 05-09-2012, 05:12 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,274,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
Whoever invites the other one out should pay. Since the man usually asks the woman out in the beginning, he should pay.
That’s right Marie. Finally a woman admits that. Whoever asks should pay = men pay. In my case, when a woman asks me out WE still contribute to expenses together. We feel it’s our date, we’re both happy to be there, we don’t feel entitlements, etc. But that’s just us.

Quote:
Although men paying is largely due to tradition, it still can serve as a good barometer of how gracious, gentlemanly, stable, cheap, generous, etc. he is.
Wouldn’t a woman show the same thing when it came to dating? Enjoying everything a man did for you in a date doesn’t really give him an image of you when it comes to being generous, gracious, taking care of him (similar to chivalry), right? So is dating one-sided?

Quote:
If I did not sense there was any potential, I didn't accept any offers to go out.
Nice of you to not use men just for free meals, free drinks, free entertainment, etc.

Quote:
The way someone spends money says a lot about them. Watching how he handles the tabs is one of the things that tells you a bit about the person's character or what may be going on in their life.
A man who spends a lot can send the message that he’s so nice, he’s a man, etc. A woman who doesn’t spend on the guy can also send the message that she’s cheap, just looking for freebies, looking for someone who will take care of her as a daughter, etc. A man that just wants sex can also send that negative vibe of a guy that will most likely cheat, not be responsible, etc.

Why not have BOTH be nice since the very beginning?

Old 05-09-2012, 05:16 PM

44,343 posts, read 20,040,208 times
Can't stay on topic and refrain from personal attacks? Another thread closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.