Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:56 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,289,027 times

Advertisements

I know I've said this before but I'll say it again. I get hit on most after I come from the barn or tennis or at or after the gym. Aka sweaty, stinky, gross, no make-up. I get dressed up and wear makeup mostly when I go out to dinner with female friends or to work (work with about 80% female co-workers).

Men seem to like me (women in general-if they are naturally attractive) in my simpler state.

Most women dress to impress for other women. Women take notice if you dont wear makeup or have bags under your eyes or what brand of clothing your wearing.

Men check off cute face, nice ass/boobs and that's all they need to make the initial approach.

Last edited by findly185; 05-09-2012 at 11:05 AM..

Old 05-09-2012, 10:56 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,116,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes, I think my post is as much a critique of men's objectification of women as anything else. Reminding people that women are human too, not simply an object of attraction. Not to say women are unattractive as a whole - I said in my OP I think they're on par with men, but in a different way of course. I genuinely find plenty of women overrated in the looks department, but a sizable majority I would have to say are overrated.
Actually - you said that women had masculine faces and that they weren't all that. I don't see a critique of men's objectification in this - just jealousy and bitterness.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:59 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,244,892 times
Quote:
Well I was hoping that maybe some here might get what I'm saying, or see things my way...or help me through my 'issues. Perhaps what you're saying is part of that process too. I don't start threads with an agenda in mind, I'm just a curious person who likes to get under the skin of things.
A friend of mine once dated a man who had no filters. She was a redhead. He complained about redheads. She worked in a certain field. He complained about people in that field. Eventually, he started complaining about women. To her. The woman he was dating.

Finally she looked at him and said, "Consider your audience, please."

You say you don't start threads with an agenda. But how many times do people have to point this stuff out? I'm getting repped out the yin-yang because of my post with the sour grapes photo. Apparently I'm not the first to notice the thinly veiled misogyny. There is too much of it on these boards lately. Couching it in diplomatic terms doesn't make it any less hateful.

Consider your audience, please.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:02 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think you should stick to trying to get rid of your own insecurities, jealousies, bitterness, etc. and less time imagining what it is you think women are thinking - because you have no clue. When I feel like I look good and when I get compliments - it makes me feel good. I don't think that I'm the candy and men are the dogs - that's ridiculous.
Large part was a bit caricatured...but women are allowed to say how superior they are to men and no one accuses them of being sexists. Like how a lot of women play down the male form, how women are objectively sexier, women are built like sports cars...seriously, I'm getting tired of reading crap like that. I'm turned on by women because I'm straight but that doesn't mean they are objectively anything.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
A friend of mine once dated a man who had no filters. She was a redhead. He complained about redheads. She worked in a certain field. He complained about people in that field. Eventually, he started complaining about women. To her. The woman he was dating.

Finally she looked at him and said, "Consider your audience, please."

You say you don't start threads with an agenda. But how many times do people have to point this stuff out? I'm getting repped out the yin-yang because of my post with the sour grapes photo. Apparently I'm not the first to notice the thinly veiled misogyny. There is too much of it on these boards lately. Couching it in diplomatic terms doesn't make it any less hateful.

Consider your audience, please.
Why is it always a few women who accuse men of misogyny? I'm more of a misathrope than a misogynist. I find a lot of annoying things about men too. It's just I don't want to add anymore fuel to THAT fire, there's enough on that side.

Maybe I see things that others don't...could be right, could be wrong, maybe it's a perception thing as well.

Folk should stop jerking their knees and consider why I'm saying what I'm saying.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,002,275 times
Quote:
I'm turned on by women because I'm straight but that doesn't mean they are objectively anything.
There is no objectively anything in terms of beauty (even if you argue something that most people believe is beautiful, that doesn't make it objective. It only means there's collective agreement).

A quote from Chuang Tsu (Chinese philosopher):
Now let me ask you some questions. If a man sleeps in a damp place, his back aches and he ends up half paralyzed, but is this true of a loach? If he lives in a tree, he is terrified and shakes with fright, but is this true of a monkey? Of these three creatures, then, which one knows the proper place to live? Men eat the flesh of grass-fed and grain-fed animals, deer eat grass, centipedes find snakes tasty, and hawks and falcons relish mice. Of these four, which knows how food ought to taste? Monkeys pair with monkeys, deer go out with deer, and fish play around with fish. Men claim that Mao-chi'iang and Lady Li were beautiful, but if fish saw them they would dive to the bottom of the stream, if birds saw them they would fly away, and if deer saw them they would break into a run. Of these four, which knows how to fix the standard of beauty for the world? The way I see it, the rules of benevolence and righteousness and the paths of right and wrong are all hopelessly snarled and jumbled. How could I know anything about such discriminations?"

Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,116,307 times
Quote:
Large part was a bit caricatured...but women are allowed to say how superior they are to men and no one accuses them of being sexists. Like how a lot of women play down the male form, how women are objectively sexier, women are built like sports cars...seriously, I'm getting tired of reading crap like that. I'm turned on by women because I'm straight but that doesn't mean they are objectively anything.
Okay - you really need to get a grip. I don't understand how you can be attracted to women and be so jealous of them at the same time.

I think the female body is more pleasing to look at than the male body. To me, the female body is softer and more graceful than the male body. I think that seeing a strong man makes me feel safer and more protected than a strong women. If someone expressed an opinion that was contrary to mine on these two subjects - I would be perfectly okay with that. Obviously - you think that the male form is more pleasing - and that's totally fine with me. I'm not going to start threads bashing men and saying how they are overrated and ugly and that I'm sick of hearing people talk about how hot men are. And I'm certainly not going to say that men aren't objectively anything - because I LOVE men. I'm a straight woman who loves men. I love they way they look, they act, they laugh, they think, etc. I love my husband. He IS all that. He is everything. And I can think this about him with out jealousy or bitterness. I can think this with out thinking - but what about me? Aren't I all that, too?

Once again - get over it. You will never have a successful relationship with a woman if you indulge in these ridiculous thoughts.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:23 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,950,415 times
Quote:
Are many here like me? If I'm walking down the street, for instance, quite a few girls/women catch my eye - I mean they look fairly attractive, or they're wearing something nice, but when I look closer, I can look past their makeup, and often they look fairly plain. I feel a lot of women these days have a kind of artificial beauty: like they look good at first, or from a distance, but on closer inspection, not so great.

Not that I base everything on looks, but I constantly see women with pretty average FACES but great bodies and great fashion sense being called beautiful and stuff. Good for them, not trying to ruin their party (although it can go to their heads), but I think there's a certain type or types of faces/features that I find attractive in a lady I don't see all that often.

Do you think this is generally true? Like dating sites too...a lot of attractive profile pics, but when you see their gallery: things almost always go downhill. Go back to the 1880s and many women looked masculine, almost like men. I think this is because women are expected to be the 'prettier' or more beautiful sex, and society has fed this idea, so that you hold them on a pedestal and expect so much from them you are really disappointed. On average, both men and women are about equal in terms of looks, in slightly different ways, but there's more overlap than you think.

Strip away all the adornments and cosmetics, and a lot of women actually have fairly plain or masculine or unattractive faces. Just my take anyway...
I don't recall women looking like men. But I'd have to agree a lot of women look really good at first glance, and once you see them up close AND interact with them, you see they are just normal. But for me, it's not that I'm disappointed once that happens, but rather realize they aren't anything to be intimidated by, that I should have known it all along, and they aren't part of whatever stuck-up stereotype I might have fleetingly thought they might be.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 AM

348 posts, read 549,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
As if we don't already have enough to worry about concerning our looks!

Men overestimate their own attractiveness anyways.
LOL! This is true.

Going farther, some of my male friends have the annoying trait of "Man, if I didn't have a girlfriend/wife I could have so many women". They seem to forget that I remember them before they were attached and watched them fail spectacularly time and time again, more often than not they wouldn't even try in the first place out of fear. These are the same people who think the waitress is flirting with them.

For the record, I definitely don't overestimate my own attractiveness ...but I do realize I'm not attractive to every woman out there nor am I a gift from the heavens...but I am confident that I make an outstanding partner with the right girl.

Last edited by DrVanNostren; 05-09-2012 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-09-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Okay - you really need to get a grip. I don't understand how you can be attracted to women and be so jealous of them at the same time.

I think the female body is more pleasing to look at than the male body. To me, the female body is softer and more graceful than the male body. I think that seeing a strong man makes me feel safer and more protected than a strong women. If someone expressed an opinion that was contrary to mine on these two subjects - I would be perfectly okay with that. Obviously - you think that the male form is more pleasing - and that's totally fine with me. I'm not going to start threads bashing men and saying how they are overrated and ugly and that I'm sick of hearing people talk about how hot men are. And I'm certainly not going to say that men aren't objectively anything - because I LOVE men. I'm a straight woman who loves men. I love they way they look, they act, they laugh, they think, etc. I love my husband. He IS all that. He is everything. And I can think this about him with out jealousy or bitterness. I can think this with out thinking - but what about me? Aren't I all that, too?

Once again - get over it. You will never have a successful relationship with a woman if you indulge in these ridiculous thoughts.
I never said I found the male form more pleasing to look at necessarily - it depends on the male and female. But from a purely aesthetic point of view, I think a sculpted male body is definitely every bit as beautiful as a curvaceous female nude. Both are beautiful in their own ways.

Yes, I totally understand how you might find the female form more aesthetically pleasing - but for some women it's gone too far. I won't get into that, however. As you are turned on by the male body, I'm turned on by the female body...I don't know why many men can't seem to separate the two in their minds.

Society has put the female form on a pedestal - it's celebrated, scantily clad, even grotesquely 're-modelled'. The male form is much to a MUCH smaller extent, and really, the idea that a straight women would be grossed out by a man in speedos or a male nude is just very, very weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.