Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Date forgets to bring money to a date, a write off?
Yes 17 77.27%
No 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:10 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,868,160 times

Advertisements

One time I went out with a date with a girl...actually, we didn't really click that much, a few awkward silences, not too much in common...anyway, we went to a restaurant and ordered a meal each with the unspoken understanding we'd pay for our own meal. To my consternation I forget to bring cash...actually I forget the specifics, but I think it was cash only for some reason so she had to pay for both of us. Actually I did have my card on me so I offered to go to an ATM to pay her back but she said it was alright.

Anyway before we parted I asked if she wanted to meet again. She said yes. I didn't especially feel the date went that well, but thought what the hey, see if she wants to give it another go...anyway, after that she was uncontactable. Messaged/called a few times but nothing so I figured chances are she didn't want to see me again, which is fine.

Anyway, I do wonder if the forgetting to bring money thing had anything to do with it. EVEN THEN there's a good chance she just wouldn't be interested. We met on a dating site, so it's not like her options were limited. It was no skin off mine either.

But let's say: your date forgets to bring his wallet...Are there women out there who would totally write off the guy? Unless he was exception? Or is it a forgivable 'sin' in the dating game?

I ask this because I told this story to one of my friends, who said what I suspected, that that might've ruined things...Funnily enough she was an Accountant (which showed we were totally NOT compatible)! lol

Last edited by Trimac20; 05-10-2012 at 07:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:13 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,285,120 times
I would not write a guy off for forgetting his wallet...money isn't an issue with me...but forgetfulness drives me absolutely INSANE!!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:17 AM

40,930 posts, read 48,959,201 times
As a guy, I would never "forget" to have the means to pay for a date. Everybody today takes C Cards.

Not very impressive to a woman when you show up for a 1st date without the money to at least cover your share.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I would not write a guy off for forgetting his wallet...money isn't an issue with me...but forgetfulness drives me absolutely INSANE!!
No genuinely forgetting one time I think should be forgivable. I tend to be a bit forgetful in general - I hope this isn't looked upon too harshly. It got me into a bit of hot water at work. But yeah, it did teach me a lesson: to check I have enough to pay before every date. Well I haven't had a date in about two years now anyway...

Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,165,784 times
It's more the lack of thought/organization that bothers me.
On a first date, you are pulling out all the stops to put your best foot forward.
If your best foot can't even manage a simple thing like how to pay for food, it doesn't bode well for the future, when you're not trying as hard.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,029,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
On a first date, you are pulling out all the stops to put your best foot forward.
If your best foot can't even manage a simple thing like how to pay for food, it doesn't bode well for the future, when you're not trying as hard.
I agree.

For me it wouldn't be the money issue, but the fact that you didn't bother to prepare for a date.

Aside from that, if it was the first time I met you and I had no idea what kind of person you were, I'd assume you were just a weasel playing games to get a free meal. If we had already been on a few dates and I knew you had the means to cover your share on those occasions, I wouldn't be as skeptical.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 AM

133 posts, read 191,755 times
Anyopne can forget anythin. Its not a deal breaker but Im not spending a whole bunch on the date either. LOL

Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 AM

3,884 posts, read 6,793,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This X 100. A first date should be when you are at your absolute best. Also, how do you not feel "naked" without your wallet?

Old 05-10-2012, 07:42 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,059,480 times
I would have waited at the table for you to go to the ATM and hope you came back........LOL

Honestly, the money thing is not an issue with me overall especially if the place is cash only simply because I very rarely have cash with me. Wait and see if she contacts you at some point, life happens you know and she may have had a family emergency or some other situation she has to deal with at the moment.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would have waited at the table for you to go to the ATM and hope you came back........LOL

Honestly, the money thing is not an issue with me overall especially if the place is cash only simply because I very rarely have cash with me. Wait and see if she contacts you at some point, life happens you know and she may have had a family emergency or some other situation she has to deal with at the moment.
Nah it's okay, I'm not really that interested. But yeah I do wonder how much she put into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships