Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 11:25 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,887,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I rarely wear makeup, but I do get a lot more attention, strangers are nicer to me (opening doors, servers smile more, strangers start conversations etc), and even my male coworkers treated me better when I wore makeup. Apparently, I look sick/tired when not wearing at least a bit of makeup, so not all women can pull off the 'natural' look.
Compared to what though? When you first met these people who say that, were you wearing a lot of makeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
me in my jeans with hair pulled up, minimal makeup and a flannel shirt. .
very sexy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

I asked my brother (he's 19) a similar question (makeup or no makeup) and he said he prefers the made up girls because you know they put effort into their appearance and aren't likely to show up in sweat pants to a date.
Nonsense. You can still look as though you put effort into your appearence without completely erasing who you are. And, if you are going out on a date, why would he want them to be anything but comfortable? If sweatpannts are what they are comfortable in, so be it. For most dates, a casual appearene works just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 12:05 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,382,672 times
I'm willing to concede that makeup makes women look like they've put more effort into their appearance. But it's not just compared to women who don't use makeup; it's compared to men too. And that's what I take issue with. Why should a woman have to put more effort into her appearance than a man does to be as successful as men are? Whether it be in dating or the professional world, men don't have to wear makeup to look responsible or competent, etc. Why do we think it means anything when it comes to women if it means absolutely nothing when it comes to men?

Doesn't matter how much makeup a woman has on. It's her personality that will make me decide "I like this woman" or "Dang, you ugly". No joke, no lie. The way you interact with me determines all.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:33 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,336,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Guys do find freckles very cute, I know I do. What did you expect your bf to say, that he wants you to wear more makeup? That would be as smart as putting a grenade in his pants, guys don't tell girls stuff they want to change about them because they get mental over it. What if he said "yea, more makeup for you would be a good thing", he'd have a major brawl on his hands. Guys are generally smart enough to not pick fights with their girls. If you're as beautiful as Cindy Crawford you may not need makeup but most women do or they look dowdy. DC is a female paradise since the women are so ugly there that its the only place in America where women get men better looking than themselves. I have no idea what you look like but you live a charmed lifw when it comes to relationships.
Why yes, I live a very charmed life.....

No, he tells me if something is off. I have heard it about my eyebrows when they needs work, etc. I wear no make up and when I mentioned to him I may try some mascara he said why????? He likes my eyes as they are. I don't think he is lying because otherwise I guess he would say oh ok, thats cool.

I live just outside of DC and I have no idea what you are talking about. You can probably click on my name to find out what I look like btw.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:14 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,887,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Why yes, I live a very charmed life.....

No, he tells me if something is off. I have heard it about my eyebrows when they needs work, etc. I wear no make up and when I mentioned to him I may try some mascara he said why????? He likes my eyes as they are. I don't think he is lying because otherwise I guess he would say oh ok, thats cool.

I live just outside of DC and I have no idea what you are talking about. You can probably click on my name to find out what I look like btw.
After seeing your profile pic and your album I'm going to have to reiterate what your bf said and ask you.... why? Why would you want to ruin that pretty face with makeup?You are very attractive looking just the way you are, dare I say sexy.... no disrespect intended. If the real you isn't good enough for any man, in the words of someone I very much respect, "ta hell wth'em"

Old 05-15-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
After seeing your profile pic and your album I'm going to have to reiterate what your bf said and ask you.... why? Why would you want to ruin that pretty face with makeup?You are very attractive looking just the way you are, dare I say sexy.... no disrespect intended. If the real you isn't good enough for any man, in the words of someone I very much respect, "ta hell wth'em"

Aww, well thank you very much....WhipperSnapper!!!!

Old 05-15-2012, 03:08 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,225,743 times
I'm extremely pale, have smaller deep set eyes and dark circles that never go away; some eyeliner and shadow and a touch of blush go a loong way to make me look more attractive. Without it, I look tired and my eyes get lost somewhere in my face.
The whole talk of 'natural' and 'rough' is great when you're talking about the 'Survivor' types - meaning sexy, attractive young women with perfect bodies and pretty faces. These are the women who can wear anything and get away with it. However, for most of us regular girls, a bit of polish goes a long way to accentuate the positives and disguise the negatives, and as most women get older this becomes even more prevalent. It's all wonderful if you've got the natural girl-next-door beauty with great skin, figure, and proportional features, but for those less lucky, makeup and clothing comes in to help. The guys here that are singing praises to the 'jean shorts, flannel shirt, ponytail' look are likely visualizing it on a hot young tanned model type. Now imagine the same outfit and lack of makeup on your average woman with some pudge, wrinkles, cellulite etc., maybe a largish nose or bad chin - probably doesn't quite paint the same picture. Yet if you take that woman and put her in a figure flattering dress and heels, with a nicely colored and cut hairstyle and well applied makeup, she would be considered attractive by a lot more men. The makeup or lack of it isn't the issue, it's the original 'canvas' that it's applied on.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:33 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,938,285 times
Some women look great without makeup. Some women look like hell without makeup. Most men would love to have a woman who is beautiful enough to look great without it, but if you dont look all that hot without it, please put at least a little something on.

My wife looks great without makeup, but if we were to go out like to the mall or commons area, she puts a little something on. After all, here in Los Angeles (Calabasas, Woodland Hills, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, etc.) it seems that women get dressed (not a lot of makeup, but definitely hair and other stuff done to make themselves look as good as possible) up just to go to Nordstorm/mall/Starbucks/Barnes and Noble, etc.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I'm extremely pale, have smaller deep set eyes and dark circles that never go away; some eyeliner and shadow and a touch of blush go a loong way to make me look more attractive. Without it, I look tired and my eyes get lost somewhere in my face.
The whole talk of 'natural' and 'rough' is great when you're talking about the 'Survivor' types - meaning sexy, attractive young women with perfect bodies and pretty faces. These are the women who can wear anything and get away with it. However, for most of us regular girls, a bit of polish goes a long way to accentuate the positives and disguise the negatives, and as most women get older this becomes even more prevalent. It's all wonderful if you've got the natural girl-next-door beauty with great skin, figure, and proportional features, but for those less lucky, makeup and clothing comes in to help. The guys here that are singing praises to the 'jean shorts, flannel shirt, ponytail' look are likely visualizing it on a hot young tanned model type. Now imagine the same outfit and lack of makeup on your average woman with some pudge, wrinkles, cellulite etc., maybe a largish nose or bad chin - probably doesn't quite paint the same picture. Yet if you take that woman and put her in a figure flattering dress and heels, with a nicely colored and cut hairstyle and well applied makeup, she would be considered attractive by a lot more men. The makeup or lack of it isn't the issue, it's the original 'canvas' that it's applied on.

....my eyes are the same way.....

Old 05-15-2012, 05:39 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,938,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
....my eyes are the same way.....
Like this guy's eyes:

Old 05-16-2012, 05:58 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,683,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I was thinking that too. I'm not younger (I'm 38) but I can't recall the last time I wore lip color. I wear clear gloss because I hate the way dry lips feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Men on this thread are betraying their datedness with all this talk of lip stick.

Young women wear lip gloss people.
Lip gloss, lipstick...it all feels like greasy slime on my mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships