Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Childless single folks: Would you date a single Mom/single Dad?
Men - yes, no problem 9 10.34%
Men - eh, mixed 10 11.49%
Men - no way 19 21.84%
Men - if she was a widow 3 3.45%
Men - other, explain 2 2.30%
Women - yes, no problem 4 4.60%
Women - eh, mixed 12 13.79%
Women - no way 21 24.14%
Women - if he was a widower 2 2.30%
Women - other, explain 5 5.75%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Closed poll, ok!

If you are a childless single male or female, would you date/consider a serious relationship with a single Mom or single Dad, respectively?

I don't think I would. Their children, from another source, seem to be "numero uno" in their lives. With single childless women, this source of potential friction doesn't exist. If you go on to have your own children, that's fine, though that doesn't interest me. I might be "somewhat" open to it if she was a widow, but I'd have to look at the whole scenario carefully.

Just answer the question/take the poll and provide your own reasons. Though I'm sure I'll get a "talkin' to."
I don't have kids of my own and I certainly wouldn't want someone else's kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Wow. Talke about repetitive posts and lack of new topics.
You're right, and I gave the same response.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:39 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
If she's divorced (or widowed), middle class, functional and has her act together if life, I certainly would.

Very, very few I've met fit that description though.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:01 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I would NEVER date a women with kids, under any circumstances.
Wow. This was never polled, I don't recall, but the issue has been brought up within threads. I am really surprised to see how many single women are saying no way (probably because of a closed poll).

I guess I've wondered about this, because I would periodically get a checker at Safeway and, as I was paying, her conversation with me, which she always started, wasn't about the weather, work, store specials, or gas prices, but was always about her kids. She didn't have a wedding band. I'm thinking "how could she possibly think this is endearing?" I would get all my grocery bags, shrug, and head for the car.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:23 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
No way. Now, I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying that I can't foresee myself ever dating a woman with kids. I don't even want kids of my own, let alone someone else's. The woman would have to be pretty darn amazing for me to reconsider it. More amazing than anyone I've ever met, by many orders of magnitude. It's not likely to happen, is what I'm saying.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:41 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,496 times
I just can't. The children strain the relationship. The simple reason I couldn't even take her out for dinner on a whim is too much of a bother. There's not enough freedom.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:05 PM

900 posts, read 1,702,011 times
No "talkin to" I am not a parent , I like the 'single dad' scenario. I only had 1 experience with it , but it was wonderful. I loved that kid. It depends on the kid(s) , too. Im sure some are monsters. You have the right to.date whom you wish and to not want to deal with ex issues. The ex in my scenario was wonderful , too. Maybe I just got lucky

Old 05-17-2012, 02:11 PM

900 posts, read 1,702,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I cant vote in the poll because it SPECIFICALLY asks for childless and single people, but I'll comment. Before I got married, I had two hard rules of dating/sex that I NEVER strayed from - 1) Exit only; 2) Never date a single mom. I held fast to these rules for many many years, however, when I met my wife, I bent rule #2 for her. But it was the perfect storm of: Her kid was from a previous marriage, the father was active in the kid's life, and she ONLY had the kid 3 out of four days of the week and NEVER on Friday and Saturday nights. Had it been any different she would have had no chance with me.

When I give dating advice, I always advise to stay away from single moms. ESPECIALLY if they had the kid out of wedlock. Double especially if the kid's father is not active in his/her life. Triple especially if the kid calls his grandmother "mommy" and his mother "Sarah" (or whatever her first name is).
May I ask your age? And where you live?

Old 05-17-2012, 02:52 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
I've done it in the past, not really the biggest fan of it.

I just kills spontaneity.

I feel bad for the single parents because, really, if you read the polls, the number of people that checked, "yeah, no problem" were really statistically pretty low compared to the outright No's and the maybe votes.

I think a lot of it depends on the situation, and how old the kids are, if they are out of the house, etc etc.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:55 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
I think a lot of it depends on the situation, and how old the kids are, if they are out of the house, etc etc.
And the relationship with the ex, too. At my advanced age (mid-30s) I'd be ruling out a lot of guys if I stuck to a strict "no kids" rule, but there are a lot more considerations than if the guy is not a parent.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:00 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm actually surprised how many more women than men, proportionately, are voting "NO."

It has always seemed that some women, particularly those who never had kids or can't, find some kind of "Mom" status from the arrangement. I would always think that men would be less interested in being some kind of "Dad" figure in a blended household.

The reality is that those kids will never see you or treat you as a blood relative, but more of a far-flung "in law" type... or of second cousin once removed status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships