Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 06:37 AM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,048,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
For the rest of my life. I can see no compelling reason to get married again.
I feel the same way. However, many women are marriage minded.

From my personal experiences, since I wasn't interested in having children, marriage was never my relationship end goal. And I have always been the one to end the relationship, usually after the five year mark and after I became extremely bored with his company. And I have always been comfortable being single and solitary for long periods of time, so I never date just to fill some void in my life. I only date men who I am attracted to and find interesting and intelligent. Good looks aren't enough for me. I am also not afraid to grow old and die without a partner.

And I have always avoided dating any man who talked of one day having kids of his own. I saw no reason for either of us to compromise our long term goals. I also refuse to date anyone who is religious, since I am an atheist. Before I begin the dating process, I chose to analyze our compatibility quotient. If I see potential obstacles in our way, I abort the process immediately, even if I am crushing on him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 06:38 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,703,452 times
Playing house is such a disrespectful term. I realise that the US doesn't accept anything other than marriage as a legitimate relationship but maybe it's time for the US to grow up and get with the program. Not everyone wants to get married and many people have perfectly valid long term relationships that are as equally committed and binding as a marriage.

I lived with my first husband for 10 years before we got married. Is someone trying to tell me our 2 daughters, 2 houses and a business weren't committed and real?

Back to the OPs question. If you want to be married but your boyfriend/girlfriend doesn't then you have 2 choices, accept the arrangement as is or leave and find someone else. And if you have a timeline for that precious ring, make sure it is communicated so everyone is on board with the expectations.

Getting married should be a joint decision. I have never understood this "OMG HE PROPOSED" stuff.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:02 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,010,210 times
I met my SO when I was 25. We have a home, a dog and many years together. We discussed marriage early on (he's not from the US so immigration issues were always in the backs of our minds, especially when we lived outside the US) but have never found a compelling reason to enter a legal partnership. I understand for others getting married is the ultimate/only way to commit but I've never felt that way.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:06 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,176,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free?
Lol true. If a guy can get all the benefits of marriage in a relationship without giving you the Ring he's NEVER marrying you. She has to put some type of pressure on him, maybe not a direct ultimatum but indescritely....

Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,282,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Lol true. If a guy can get all the benefits of marriage in a relationship without giving you the Ring he's NEVER marrying you. She has to put some type of pressure on him, maybe not a direct ultimatum but indescritely....
That is if she wants to get married...if she doesn't no need for drama or pressure.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My BF better not propose. Yeesh. Been there done that. Neither of us plan to ever marry, or live together for that matter. We are perfectly fine as we are.
If you don't want to get married, that's great. I'm talking about the girls who WANT to eventually get married(well like 95% of women) and the guy doesn't show signs of proposing.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:12 AM

36,029 posts, read 30,543,227 times
Quote:
Thats really a very narrow minded way of thinking. These days very few couples wait until marriage before having sex so your already getting th "benefits", "milk" or whatever you want to call it. Id say most people today get married because they dont want to have kids out of wedlock, other religious beliefs and for various legal marriage benefits.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 AM

36,029 posts, read 30,543,227 times
Quote:
If you don't want to get married, that's great. I'm talking about the girls who WANT to eventually get married(well like 95% of women) and the guy doesn't show signs of proposing.
I think you have that backwards. Of the women who have posted thus far about 91% said they dont want to/didnt care about get married.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:20 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,010,210 times
Not to mentiin financial considerations. I can't think if a single couple in my peer group who didn't live together before getting married. After a while it's just a waste of money to spend so much in rent-speaking of high-rent cities here- when you spend the bulk of your time at one apartment.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Playing house is such a disrespectful term. I realise that the US doesn't accept anything other than marriage as a legitimate relationship but maybe it's time for the US to grow up and get with the program. Not everyone wants to get married and many people have perfectly valid long term relationships that are as equally committed and binding as a marriage.

I lived with my first husband for 10 years before we got married. Is someone trying to tell me our 2 daughters, 2 houses and a business weren't committed and real?

Back to the OPs question. If you want to be married but your boyfriend/girlfriend doesn't then you have 2 choices, accept the arrangement as is or leave and find someone else. And if you have a timeline for that precious ring, make sure it is communicated so everyone is on board with the expectations.

Getting married should be a joint decision. I have never understood this "OMG HE PROPOSED" stuff.

I was hoping some of the CD women can explain that. Why do women care so much about getting married?

And you said you were with him for 10 years and had kids before, that's amazing,

But most women aren't going to be cool with that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships