Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 04:49 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
It will depend on the degree of "crazy". A lot of people have dysfunctional family memberse and if you excluded them, you'd limit your dating pool. It really depends
^^ Agree completely. But whatever the "crazy" is, I'd be cautious and go slow on the relationship until I ascertained how that "crazy" might affect my guy and us in the long run. Would we have to deal with the crazy at a weekly family dinner? Is the crazy going to sometimes bunk on my bf's couch? Might he have to be a caretaker to the crazy in the distant future?

Most people in the beginning of romantic relationship only show their best sides. And also in the beginning, they aren't going to introduce you to their family. And maybe they might even think that their messed up family is normal or no big deal. I'd rather a potential suitor know that their family situation is messed up and be upfront about it with me so I could make up my own mind about the future of our relationship. It would be definite red flags for me both if they were hiding the craziness or not thinking that their family was messed up.

Sure, everyone comes with some baggage, but if it's an obvious trainwreck in slow motion, of course I'm going to try to avoid it. No love is worth adding all that turmoil and hassle into my life.

Last edited by miu; 05-18-2012 at 05:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 06:09 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I think that from my generation onwards, baggage is gonna lose some of its stigma as people realize that they're going to have an extremely difficult time finding someone who isn't dysfunctional in some way, whether it be personally or something in their family. If you're expecting perfection and normality, expect to be disappointed.
This is key. Nobody ever emerges from any relationships, family or otherwise, unscathed. You're not going to ever be able to totally avoid dysfunction, unless you choose to isolated yourself entirely from other people (in which case, you'll be left alone with your own dysfunction to deal with). But everybody has to make the judgment call for themselves on what level of baggage makes a relationship with somebody untenable. Some people address things like this from a healthy standpoint, others never learned those skills.

The level of contact a person maintains with toxic family members also makes a difference. Crappy family that lives across the county creates a different dynamic than crappy family that lives a mile away. Somebody you talk to or see constantly holds a different degree of power than somebody who is a marginally regular presence.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:15 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
I have a messed up family history/background. I still manage to date (a lot) and try to stay as level headed as possible.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:33 AM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamtoohot View Post
Everyone's family is screwed who cares
That's what I thought, well, that's my experience.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:38 AM

426 posts, read 558,678 times
Funny when i was younger i never thought about her family just her... times have indeed changed.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:41 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Its one thing if someones family is bat sh*t crazy and they still allow them to be a huge part of their lives. It's something else entirely if said person recognizes their family is bonkers and chooses not to engage with them regularly. Some people are gluttons for punishment because they think they are obligated to remain close with family just because they're family-THIS is when problems arise for SO and dating.

Last edited by findly185; 05-18-2012 at 08:03 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 08:00 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
My family is somewhat messed up. Sometimes I want to change last names and claim I came from a more normal family, but couldn't find one. If I am being judged by the things "they" do, then I am beyond hopeless. But never mind, they are family and it's all I got. I admit, sometimes i'll join in on the insanity just to show allegiance. Not usually, though.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:21 AM

199 posts, read 391,101 times
It's a pretty tough question. I've seen people with dysfunctional family backgrounds end up being involved with someone who's family has the same issue. Perhaps its due to being able to relate to the other person, like you have some sort of "baggage" that shares a common thread. On the other hand, I've known people that come from really screwed up families (like mine) that simply want to marry into one that is normal.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:37 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
All families have some sort of dysfunction, whether or not it's obvious to outsiders.
That being said, from my own perspective I looked at the "family" I grew up with & decided that I was learning how NOT to be.....

Old 05-18-2012, 08:40 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Its one thing if someones family is bat sh*t crazy and they still allow them to be a huge part of their lives. It's something else entirely if said person recognizes their family is bonkers and chooses not to engage with them regularly. Some people are gluttons for punishment because they think they are obligated to remain close with family just because they're family-THIS is when problems arise for SO and dating.
I agree...but even if one's toxic family is not a part of their lives anymore at all, that's no guarantee that there isn't still destructive fallout going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships