Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:28 AM

753 posts, read 1,481,797 times

Advertisements

Those who said it's a red flag if you have a crazy family, how about if you are in therapy working on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 10:12 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
Those who said it's a red flag if you have a crazy family, how about if you are in therapy working on it?
Working on issues in therapy is always a positive step

Old 05-18-2012, 10:20 AM

460 posts, read 671,641 times
In high school, I was terrified for my boyfriend(s) to meet my mother and come to my house. She is the biggest slob and laziest person you would want to meet. Before anyone could come over, I had to spend HOURS cleaning up the house. Mind you, she didn't work at all so it was off-putting to go to school and extra-curriculars only to come home and bust my butt just to get the house to a sanitary level (still didn't look good, stains etc). Then there was her. She is and was always sloppily dressed with stains all down her front and was and is morbidly obese. I was terrified they'd take one look at her and run in the other direction. I always heard the cliche: look at the mother to see what the daughter is going to look like. I've never had my mother's body type and knew I wasn't destined to have her struggles with weight, but I was worried about convincing the boys of that. Luckily, after 8 months, when I finally introduced my boyfriend to my mother, he was understanding and always went out of his way to help her (he started coming over to mow the lawn for me at the age of 18). I knew I would never let him go after that! Then, introduce all the manic episodes through college, and you know you got a keeper.

My point is that the family background does not make a person. I'm a strong, resilient person. I'm fastidious about my appearance and the house is always sanitary and mostly neat aside from the playroom. I'm the opposite of her. Don't discount a person based on their family.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,103,467 times
I think it's pretty unfair to judge someone based on their family. That said it can be challenging. My brother's girlfriend has an insane family. It's tough for him to deal with but he does it because he loves her and even though her family is kind of nuts, his girlfriend isn't. People don't always turn out like their families.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:52 AM

114 posts, read 231,812 times
my husbands family on this mothers side are all crazy, rude, full of themselfs, and liers. my husband is nothing like them at all, he seen how they were his whole life and was determined that he was not going to be anything like them. you cant always look at the family you need to look at the individual person.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:53 AM

224 posts, read 828,065 times
Give people a chance. I recently read in a Psychology magazine that 60% of Americans were abused as children, so most of that was probably from family members. That correlates into excluding a whole lot of people in this world who otherwise might be wonderful, decent human beings. Judge people for themselves, not their families. We can't help who we were born to. Some people are strong minded and intelligent and rise above the craziness. Some escape it first chance they get. People like that are sometimes more sound than your average person from a non-crazy family as they may have learned better ways of communication and worked on bettering themselves as human beings.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:56 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wembley View Post
Give people a chance. I recently read in a Psychology magazine that 60% of Americans were abused as children, so most of that was probably from family members. That correlates into excluding a whole lot of people in this world who otherwise might be wonderful, decent human beings. Judge people for themselves, not their families. We can't help who we were born to. Some people are strong minded and intelligent and rise above the craziness. Some escape it first chance they get. People like that are sometimes more sound than your average person from a non-crazy family as they may have learned better ways of communication and worked on bettering themselves as human beings.
^^This. I've dated people from so-called "normal" families, and let me tell you they tend to have no concept of hardship, no difficult life experiences, and they seem to have little concept of what your average human being may go through growing up.

Give me all the crazy I can handle. At least I'll be able to relate to them.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:57 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
^^This. I've dated people from so-called "normal" families, and let me tell you they tend to have no concept of hardship, no difficult life experiences, and they seem to have little concept of what your average human being may go through growing up.

Give me all the crazy I can handle. At least I'll be able to relate to them.
That which does not kill you makes you stronger!

Old 05-18-2012, 11:40 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,673,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
That has the potential to be a psychological three-way, in which a discussion between two of the participants will, at some point, affect the third party, without the third being informed of whatever behavioral assignments were given to the person they are dating.

Personally, I don't see that as a good foundation for a relationship. YMMV.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:43 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,727,606 times
what a shame. i didn't realize people are able to pick and control their family members now. must be a new feature of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships