Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be averse to signing a premarital agreement?
No - I think premarital agreement is a great thing! 27 72.97%
Yes - there is no place for such an agreement in a marriage 10 27.03%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 11:05 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I know that some of the folks on here hope that everyone who is happily married get divorced. I know they love to make comments to me like this. Guess what? Doesn't bother me. I know the strength of my marriage. I know my husband. This is why we got married in the first place. I trust him with my own life.
ho hum...it's the same old same old when this topic comes up.

The bitter and the green come around to share their tainted "wisdom"

All the rest of us can do is consider the source and let it be like water off a ducks back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 11:05 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Do you have a link to provide evidence for this? What kind of assets does the average 26 year old have? I always thought the biggest problem was the parsing of jointly acquired assets (home, furniture, retirement, etc).
Retirement is meant to be parsed out in divorce. It should NOT be. Each spouse should keep whatever their contributions and prospective receipts would be. That's a function of an individual's work, and not that of a couple.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:14 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Retirement is meant to be parsed out in divorce. It should NOT be. Each spouse should keep whatever their contributions and prospective receipts would be. That's a function of an individual's work, and not that of a couple.
It's not that simple. For one, savings acquired during a marriage belongs to the partnership as best I understand it. Two, there are so many variables to consider. For example, my husband's co has crappy 401k matching while my company has superior matching. We use a higher percentage of my income to go into the 401k, which means a lower percentage goes to the household and a higher percentage of his goes to the household. Also, it's not uncommon for one spouse to sacrifice for the other (location/regional moves for career development, college attendance, etc). It's a financial and legal partnership through and through. Folk that want to keep their monies separate should not be getting legally married.

Any way, you didn't answer my question unless you meant retirement savings.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:14 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Would you OBJECT if your fiance asked you to sign a premarital agreement?
No. If its about the love it shouldn't matter. Only golddiggers and broke people looking for cash do not want to sign a prenup. You never hear rich people complaining about signing them

Old 05-18-2012, 11:16 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

All the rest of us can do is consider the source and let it be like water off a ducks back
current divorce laws have become a "right" of women. not about to give it up by agreeing to prenup or even open discussion about prenups. men are to remain silent and know their place.
as to the personal attacks, that is to be expected. people were dragged off off buses and beaten when they challenged the status quo in alabama. i should expect no less. it is time for men to wake up and stop giving away their power.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:19 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
current divorce laws has become a "right" of women. not about to give it up by agreeing to prenup or even open discussion about prenups. men are to remain silent and know their place.
as to the personal attacks, that is to be expected. people were dragged off off buses and beaten when they challenged the status quo in alabama. i should expect no less. it is time for men to wake up.
Is there not a thread noting a news article that states that women are paying alimony and greater rates?

Old 05-18-2012, 11:19 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
no. i would sign one and also have one of my own ready. trusting someone blindly, is not for me. one thing to gamble, another to gamble with no knowledge of how the game is played.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:20 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Bitter - it hasn't happened to me
Green - I'm not a youngster, and I can read
Consider the source - that's your judgment call, from your lofty perch

Old 05-18-2012, 11:22 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Is there not a thread noting a news article that states that women are paying alimony and greater rates?
this the old southern mammy story why my mammy can go to the back door and get a drink at walgreens anytime she wants.
why all this fuss obout unjust laws?
why would any guy ever need a prenup?
doesnt she treat u right? look at all the women who pay alimony.
what further proof do u need?

Old 05-18-2012, 11:24 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
You guys are free to have a prenup. My parents married for life. My husband's parents married for life. We have done the same thing. My personal feeling is that if you have ANY doubts at all about the person you are marrying - perhaps it's not the right person. But this is me and how I choose to live my life. If someone needed a prenup to feel safe enough to get married - I wouldn't try to talk them out of it - as long as I wasn't the person that they were marrying. For me - the whole point of marriage is that it is the ultimate commitment. For me - that means not holding anything back or even viewing divorced as a possibility. Could I get screwed in the end? I guess. But if my husband was the type of person to try to bankrupt me and punish me - I wouldn't have married him in the first place. But to each their own. I'm certainly not going to tell other people how to live their lives - especially because what is right for one person is not right for another.
Also I think surrounding yourself with positive and healthy marriage influence your attitude towards marriage. I can testify that my mom stayed with both of her husbands till death do them apart. I don't know the struggle and suffer that my mom went through, but as her daughter, I bet I know from my own as well. They are optional, but I guess our perspective on marriage is a lot different from the norms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships