Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:19 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Freud made some contributions, he said some stuff which probably inspired the term 'psychobabble'. He was revolutionary but also human with his own biases...take him for what he is.
I suppose any kind of appreciation of him would need to be tied to an appreciation of psychoanalysis, which can really go willy nilly. Eh, I'll pass on taking it and just leave it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 05:40 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
^ Beat me to it.

There's plenty to say about the possibility of Freud having been "wrong" on any number of issues. (ETA: as an example, Freud's insistence that his patient was afraid of horses because the patient secretly wanted to cut off his father's testicles and have sex with his mother.)
Not to mention he did enough coke to kill the entire fleet of Budweiser clydesdales, lol!

Old 05-25-2012, 05:41 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostren View Post
Interesting to hear that other people had similar experiences in the DC area.

Again, it's bizarre how generally awful many of the women in the DC-NJ-NY area are. I don't what I would've done if I had been single during my time there. Slim pickings amongst a bad bunch.
You know, I've noticed a similar tendency in the capital cities of several nations. They just seems to attract greater numbers of a certain personality type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortDoctor View Post
So should I just end it all?
If it's that important to you, I'd like to propose an alternate strategy: Move.

In my life, I've moved between several countries, some with very different average heights. The difference in average height between Norway and Wales, for example, is about 5 inches. Thats easily enough to notice. The difference when you step out of the plane/train is...appreciable.

Also, in a smaller city, a surgeon is a bigger fish. Find yourself a smaller but not tiny city in a low-height country/region, and you'll be a much bigger fish.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:32 AM

296 posts, read 571,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
You know, I've noticed a similar tendency in the capital cities of several nations. They just seems to attract greater numbers of a certain personality type.

If it's that important to you, I'd like to propose an alternate strategy: Move.

In my life, I've moved between several countries, some with very different average heights. The difference in average height between Norway and Wales, for example, is about 5 inches. Thats easily enough to notice. The difference when you step out of the plane/train is...appreciable.

Also, in a smaller city, a surgeon is a bigger fish. Find yourself a smaller but not tiny city in a low-height country/region, and you'll be a much bigger fish.
Would Boston or Philly be a good place? I have had offers there previously before at some practices.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:43 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Man, one day you're actually to listen to us. You know, the guys who actually have managed to successfully date, marry women of quality, and find happiness.

If your primary mission is to get laid, a woman can smell the desperation a mile away. I realize that this requires a little bit of mental jujitsu on your part, but give the old college try.

Its simply amazing to me that there is even such a thing as Casual Sex anymore given the very dangerous game that it has become with our National STD Epidemic boasting 33 circulating STD's among 65,000,000 adult Americans with 15,000,000 added each year....2 which are fatal, most which are lifelong , and all that take a chunk out of a persons trust once theyve secured one (or more) . Are people ignorant of this, or is apathy too strong of a desire where Ones genitals are concerned (?)

Theres no better time that to wake up and realize our Culture has duped us all, and that men and women need to return to the good ol' days of acting properly, respectfully, and with dignity. Its starting to look like maybe God got it right when he gave us loving protective moral mandates to live by and a personal moral conscience not to be veto'd in the name of sexual illicitness . And everyone (except the Addicts) said : Amen ?! ....lol....

Old 05-25-2012, 09:49 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I'm much pickier in my 40s than I was in my 20s.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:30 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
Many women seem pickier after a bad divorce. (The same is often true of men.) Perhaps they've learned something from their past experiences!

Old 05-26-2012, 10:33 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Many women seem pickier after a bad divorce. (The same is often true of men.) Perhaps they've learned something from their past experiences!
Both should be pickier...especially when it comes to considering a partner for remarriage.
Im afraid a good many people got married the first time with about as much objective consideration as kicking the tires on a car and telling the salesman theyll take it.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:03 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Both should be pickier...especially when it comes to considering a partner for remarriage.
Im afraid a good many people got married the first time with about as much objective consideration as kicking the tires on a car and telling the salesman theyll take it.
I agree. However, when you're young you often don't have the knowledge and experience to be able to make a good choice. It's also rare to find any kind of educational material or good counselling to teach young people what to look for, and if there were, I think it would often be ignored because of the "but we're in luuuuuuv" phenomenon.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:23 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,745 times
Quote:
Am I pretty much doomed or can I fix this by shifting toward a different demographic (older women)?
I don't know that it's entirely about height. A guy I used to work with in NYC was about your height, maybe 5'4, made a lot of money (but probably not as much as you do), had a fantastic personality and always had women. He eventually married a model type, who had guys all over her. He's not gorgeous or really good looking, but he is attractive and sexy. I think the best part about him, though, is that he's a really good guy and that comes out in his personality. I think that's why his wife chose him over all the other men who were after her. It took her awhile to come around to him, but the point is that she did.

I don't know you, but I do know a number of surgeons, so please don't take this the wrong way. *Some* surgeons can come off with an air of self-importance or just something that makes them unapproachable (My friend's surgeon husband is this way - he's virtually impossible to talk to and even takes jokes literally instead of finding the humor in them. I can't figure out what she sees in him other than his wallet. I just want to smack him for being so blah and boring and self-important.), so PLEASE make sure that this isn't the issue. Again, not all surgeons are like this - I know some awesome, wonderful surgeons - but some are really arrogant. And if you're compensating for the short height by emphasizing your career, then you're 1) turning off women who are potentially interested or 2) attracting women who are only interested in your wallet. So just make sure that's not affecting your approach.

I think in the end you will be fine. I'm 5'2 and dated a guy who was 5'4. He was a lousy boyfriend, but we ended as friends. His brother was 5'4 and chubby and always had girlfriends too. So I don't think the short height is the end of the world. If you're in good shape, that will also work in your favor, so don't give up! But be open to age. My cousins gave birth in their late 30s/early 40s and their babies are fine. At this rate, I'll do the same, since I'm 32 and still single.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships