Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,831 times

Advertisements

So there's this guy who goes to my school, were both juniors in high school and we have mutual friends. One day he asked me to help him with his maths homework and I heard later that day from our mutual friend that he thought I was pretty. I think he's really cute and our mutual friend let him know I thought this.

After this we began to talk nearly every night on facebook and he eventually after about a week asked for my number. We became really good friends and our mutual friend kept saying we'd be a cute couple. Eventually we were talking every single night without fail and we'd have really long conversations on facebook, by text or on the phone. He'd always call me baby or baby girl and he would always make me laugh.

After a few months of this our mutual friend approached him and brought up the couple thing again. He text me saying he heard I liked him and he just wanted to be friends, now I'm really confused. He told me he thinks I'm the most genuine girl in an entire school of about 1500 pupils and that he thinks I'm an amazing girl.

I broke contact for a few days over this and told him to give me space and he apologized saying he didn't mean to lead me on etc. I seen him the next few days in school and tried to avoid him. He told all his friends he felt awful and eventually I missed him so much and after a text from him saying he missed me, I cracked and just told him i forgave him.

The thing is now I still have feelings for him and I don't know what to do! People say its best if we stop talking but that leaves both me and him miserable, and we're like best friends. Do you think his feelings could ever change? Or am I best to try and get over it? Please help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 12:32 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Honestly honey, at your age you are so much better off concentrating on other things.

When you let yourself get so wrapped up in a guy like this no good will come of it.

And guys this age are notorious for running hot and cold like this because they are like little kids in a candy store when it comes to girls.

Hate to break it to you, but you cannot be "just friends" with someone you have feelings for.

Find some other things to do - a summer job, hanging with some friends, volunteering to help a neighbor cut their grass or watch their kids, working at a day camp for underprivileged kids, tutoring a younger student...etc.

Just get busy (and stay busy!) becoming the best you that you can be and don't let other people's opinions of you turn your head.

When you are a little more grown up and completely comfortable in your own skin with your self-esteem firmly in place, you will have your pick of top quality guys. Trust me.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:35 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,727,606 times
Stop being friends with him, you obviously can't be happy with just the friendship.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:36 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,601,893 times
To be perfectly honest, there are people that we sometimes CANNOT be friends with. If you are very attracted to someone, but there are other circumstances that dont allow you to be together, you simply have to move on.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:41 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,609,042 times
Unrequitedly loving a good friend of mine in high school is still, to this day more than 10 years later, one of the most painful remembrances of my life. Breaking away is really hard because you want to at least be near him, and I definitely understand that, but sometimes you have to separate yourself so you can heal. There are lots of great guys out there and when you find one that likes you back -- well, it's totally worth it.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:47 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
Hey don't worry, us guys are all nuts

You'll be fine, those situations suck but sometimes that's just how they go, guys will go for the chase and then once they get it they stop. Be thankful he was at least up front in that respect.

Just keep your head up, act like it doesn't affect you. You're above him, you'll find someone else. Another thing, try not to alienate yourself too much from everyone, you don't want to hurt your other friendships because of a guy.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:47 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,014 times
one time poster will never be back

Old 05-21-2012, 12:48 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
one time poster will never be back
But the poor girl was just in high school, those are never easy times for people. I always have a little empathy towards them

Old 05-21-2012, 12:52 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,082,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie7003 View Post
So there's this guy who goes to my school, were both juniors in high school and we have mutual friends. One day he asked me to help him with his maths homework and I heard later that day from our mutual friend that he thought I was pretty. I think he's really cute and our mutual friend let him know I thought this.

After this we began to talk nearly every night on facebook and he eventually after about a week asked for my number. We became really good friends and our mutual friend kept saying we'd be a cute couple. Eventually we were talking every single night without fail and we'd have really long conversations on facebook, by text or on the phone. He'd always call me baby or baby girl and he would always make me laugh.

After a few months of this our mutual friend approached him and brought up the couple thing again. He text me saying he heard I liked him and he just wanted to be friends, now I'm really confused. He told me he thinks I'm the most genuine girl in an entire school of about 1500 pupils and that he thinks I'm an amazing girl.

I broke contact for a few days over this and told him to give me space and he apologized saying he didn't mean to lead me on etc. I seen him the next few days in school and tried to avoid him. He told all his friends he felt awful and eventually I missed him so much and after a text from him saying he missed me, I cracked and just told him i forgave him.

The thing is now I still have feelings for him and I don't know what to do! People say its best if we stop talking but that leaves both me and him miserable, and we're like best friends. Do you think his feelings could ever change? Or am I best to try and get over it? Please help me.
It is kind of confusing seeing as how high school guys will usually date any woman they find even remotely attractive. Nor does his attitude sound like that of a typical high school guy.

If I were to venture a wild guess, I'd say he's a good looking guy that has a lot of options and that you may have been an option at one time but were a little lower on his list. Most high school guys don't have a ton of options.

High school is an extremely shallow and petty place. Just try and get over it.

If it makes you feel any better, I had zero options in high school, and I mean ZERO and not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

When you are a little more grown up and completely comfortable in your own skin with your self-esteem firmly in place, you will have your pick of ____ guys. Trust me.
This is likely to happen whether you are confident or comfortable or not. So when it does, remember that you were rejected once and stay humble.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,808,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
But the poor girl was just in high school, those are never easy times for people. I always have a little empathy towards them
Punk.

Let her learn the hard way.
The way we did before this whole internet thingy.
Snot nose little brat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships